Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Projector for my office

Author Topic: Projector for my office
Allen Arin
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 01:12 AM      Profile for Allen Arin   Email Allen Arin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a projector for my office for staff of 12 members my meeting room is something around 450 sq ft and the distance of the screen from the projector will be something 8-10 ft and i assume mini projector will work better for me.What you say about this

|  IP: Logged

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 02:01 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using it for prestation's. Go to the nearest office center and get some light canon. Contrast etc is not important considering all the lights in the room.

For movie screenings, a good 'home HT" projector will do. With these requirements you can use a good JVC/Sony etc

Helmut Maripuu
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 02:56 AM      Profile for Helmut Maripuu   Email Helmut Maripuu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My employer replaced projectors in the conference rooms and bought the usual 65 inch TV sets. Nobody complained that we got the TV screens instead of the projectors.
Sharp and bright picture! and good sound!

Allen Arin
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 12:32 AM      Profile for Allen Arin   Email Allen Arin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My motive is for presentation only and how much does the canon one will cost me as its a great brand it will be expensive enough and what feature should I look for

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 11:07 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen,

The reference to a light canon is slang for any light projecting machine. Not brand specific.

Hope this clears any confusion.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 12:22 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the link to ProjectorPeople.Com does not violate form rules. If so, I apologize.

I have bought several projectors from them over the last few decades and have been very happy with the projectors, and their customer support. One of the projectors had the bulb explode at about 10 hours of use. I called them up and they said they would send me a replacement. I expected a new bulb, but no, they sent me a whole new projector with instructions to pack the old one in the box and send it back to them. They were concerned that the bad bulb might have damaged the DLP array. The new projector arrived the next day at their expense. I have been a loyal customer ever since.

You can call them up and explain exactly what you will be using this for, and their sales person will guide you to what you need.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-03-2019 10:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this something you want to show off? Or, is this something you intend for regular use?

Do you just want to view PowerPoint slides and video conference feeds? Or, do you want to show video and computer content?

Are you on a budget? Or, is this a "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it" affair?

If you are in the "no expense spared" camp, Christie, Barco and others sell a "Boardroom" or "Corproate" class of projector which can be, for all intents and purposes, a scaled down version of a DCP movie theater projector. Just about the only difference, besides the smaller size, is that they don't play encrypted content. Other than that, they are miniature versions of what you'd find in a movie theater.

They are good machines and you can tell your clients and guests that you bought "The Best of the Best" but, like I said, they are EXPENSIVE.

They also sell other versions with fewer features and smaller sizes but they are still more expensive than the kind you find in office supply stores and on-line sellers.

If you are in full-on "Gordon Gekko" mode, go for the big guns. Otherwise, any decent quality video projector will do.

Allen Arin
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 06:42 AM      Profile for Allen Arin   Email Allen Arin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
I hope the link to ProjectorPeople.Com does not violate form rules. If so, I apologize.

I have bought several projectors from them over the last few decades and have been very happy with the projectors, and their customer support. One of the projectors had the bulb explode at about 10 hours of use. I called them up and they said they would send me a replacement. I expected a new bulb, but no, they sent me a whole new projector with instructions to pack the old one in the box and send it back to them. They were concerned that the bad bulb might have damaged the DLP array. The new projector arrived the next day at their expense. I have been a loyal customer ever since.

You can call them up and explain exactly what you will be using this for, and their sales person will guide you to what you need.

I have checked the link There are lot of projectors if you could suggest the features to check for mini projectors specially as they are not expensive this will help me a lot!

Steve Cohen
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Steve Cohen   Email Steve Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen,

Generally, large flat screen TVs have replaced projectors in boardrooms. The reasons are that projectors may need expensive lamp replacements, are more difficult to operate by novices, can be misconfigured by novices, make more noise, and produce heat.

Everyone knows how to use a large screen TV.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2019 02:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a video wall?

I'd say that would be State of the Art for boardrooms and meeting rooms in this day and age.

I agree that projectors are fading in popularity for the reasons you say.

Plus, in terms of image size and quality, a 6-foot tall LED screen based video wall would beat a projector's resolution and would be at least as bright and visible as a projector if not better.

Steve Cohen
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2019 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Cohen   Email Steve Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Aside from the cost of a video wall with a pixel pitch that would accommodate close viewing for an average sized boardroom, video walls give off a lot of heat. In addition, they need an external server which adds complexity.

Perhaps in a large corporation with a full time A/V crew video walls are a viable option. For the other 99 percent of companies/organizations, a large screen TV/monitor is the best solution.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-16-2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand.

The OP, Alan, seems to have made up his mind what he wants. Except for a follow up question or two, I think he's pretty much settled.

Steve mentioned using flat screens instead of projectors. I agree with that idea. I thought, "Why not go for broke and put in a video wall?" You know... Do something like you might see in an ultra modern boardroom that you might see in a movie. It would be sort of like a modern version of "Wall Street." (Hence, the "Gordon Gekko" reference I made above."

Yes, I know that if a screen is too big for the room it will be hard to view from a close distance. It doesn't matter if it's film, digital video, a flat panel TV screen or anything else. If the picture is too big it will feel like sitting in the front row of a movie theater when you are only a few feet away from the screen.

Yes, I know that a full sized video wall would be expensive, would use a lot of power, might create a lot of heat and could potentially require a closet full of equipment to operate.

I thought most people here would see the idea, know that it was a "modest proposal" and smile about it.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear that I was having a bit of fun.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: