Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » sound levels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: sound levels
Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 12:19 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have a question - I was told that it can not be done, but you guys are super wise so perhaps you may know something other than what I was told.
In my theater the trailers are excessively loud, but the movie plays at a proper level. I get constant complaints. I was told nothing can be done about this.
Is there a cue (or something) that can be set to decrease the volume at the beginning of the previews and then another that can be set to raise it back before the feature ?
This seems to be an issue in a lot of theaters - i'd be surprised if there is no way to fix this ?
(I have NEC900c's)

Thanks !!!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 12:34 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quick answer to your question is "yes"- - adding volume level cues
into a show playlist as you suggest is a fairly easy thing to do. The exact
procedure differs depending on the equipment involved, and in any case,
your NEC900c has nothing to with sound levels. Sound cues & volume
adjustments would be handled by your combination of server and your
audio processor.

Allen Arin
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 12:41 AM      Profile for Allen Arin   Email Allen Arin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ofcourse yes its easy to add volume into a show playlist, sound cues and volume adjustment would be handled by your combinaton of server and your audio process

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-02-2019 02:15 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do exactly what you want here. I play my non-sync music (before the show) at 3.2. When I press play, the "start show" cue switches to the movie soundtrack and turns the volume to 4.5, and then the "feature" cue cranks it up to 5.2. "End show" switches back to non-sync and turns the volume back down to 3.2.

It works well and doesn't blow anyone out of their seat when the trailers play. If I play them at 5.2 they're far too loud.

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 03:52 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I know its possible, i'll see what I need to do to get it done.

thanks all ! [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-02-2019 06:51 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Armand - what type of audio processor do you use?

The Doremi servers offer a server side digital volume attentuation which is easy to use, as it doesn't need volume cues/remote connection to be set up between the server and audio processor (some legacy processors do not even offer remote volume control from a server). Don't know if your GDCs also allow for this method.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-02-2019 07:17 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector doesn't have much to do with sound level.
It is not always possible to automate audio level changes.
If you have a legacy sound processor that only changes level via the panel knob (CP55/65 and many others) and a digital server without the capability to vary audio output level (this is not universal) you are likely SOL.
With a CP500 you can add extra presets with different fader settings but probably your automation will need changes, they usually only have control of the nonsync and server presets.
More modern servers like the CP650, CP750, CP850, and many from USL and QSC etc. have network automation. Assuming your processor can do that - possible but not easy on DSS servers with current software, easier with Doremi and GDC - audio level control is no problem.
A DSS server with a Dolby CP650, CP750, or maybe CP850 has volume level cues built in if the processor is networked and the server config is correct.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-02-2019 08:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, yes the CP850 is included in any reasonably late-version software for the DSS. Starting with 4.9.4, the CP950 also works with the DSS servers in the same manner.

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked the guy who maintains our equipment and he is under the impression that sound cues are not supported.
We have the following equipment -
NEC900C
USL JSD-60
GDC TMS vers. 3.4

Can sound cues be done with that setup ?

Thanks !!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-03-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say get a new guy for maintaining your equipment.
GDC and JSD60 fully support volume cues. I'm sure Harold has some GDC instructions.
Basically, the GDC server has to use a network connection to your JSD60 and send these volume cues to it. Do you know how your server switches audio formats on the JSD60 - that is, e.g. between admission music and DCP sound?

You only mention GDC TMS, it may be hidden in some of your other posts here - what type of server is attached to your NECs? Should be something like SA/SX 200x, 3000, etc...

BTW - I just found one of your very early posts here - how large are your auditoriums, how many seats?

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 11:30 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember if GDC has JSD-60 commands native in their software. But, if not, you can define the commands as TCP strings to port 10001 on the JSD-60. The command list is at http://ftp.uslinc.com/Products/JSD-60/Documents/Manual/JSD-60%20User%20Manual%20160406.pdf#page=82 . Note that it is hard to put a tab character in the string from the GDC touch screen. Recent versions of the JSD-60 firmware allow you to use a pipe (|) character instead of a tab. I've also plugged a USB keyboard into GDC servers so I could type the tab character.

Good luck!

Harold

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 01:12 PM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten - The servers are SX3000's.
The auditoriums seat 132 each. (34x80 feet)

Thanks !!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-03-2019 01:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check from page 96:

https://www.gdc-tech.com/ndownload/product/manual/GDC_SX-3000%20with%20Portable%20 Storage%20or%20Enterprise%20Storage%20installation%20manual_Eng_150521_Final.pdf

The JSD60 isn't mentioned there, but will work just as well. The JSD60 will need to be connected to the auditorium network switch and a suitable IP address configured.
There's a slight possibility that the installer took the simple route and used the GPIOs for format switching. In that case you need to add a network cable between the JSD60 and SX3000. There is a similar possibility that it is networked already, and that even the network volume cues are already setup, but have never been used. You'll find more help here while you proceed. Check the back of your JSD60 for a network cable - the lower of the two stacked RJ45 sockets is the network port ('ACT' and 'LINK' is written beneath it). Tell us wether there is a cable plugged into that socket.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-04-2019 01:53 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’d be very concerned if my service engineer didn’t know such a basic information.

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2019 02:34 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gentleman I reference is not an engineer, when I took over the theater he was an existing employee who runs the booth, he does all the building of the shows and maintains everything. He only knows what he was trained on which is just basic stuff. He's been there so long that he may not question things the way a fresh set of eyes might. I just want to get my presentation standards up. Now that I know its possible to do what I need, (the server is indeed linked to the processor via ethernet) I will be contacting the company we pay that monitors the equipment and does the "high level" stuff to get with my existing booth guy to get those cues programmed.

Thank you all for you help !!
[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: