Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie cp2000, Barco Dp2000 and 3D

Author Topic: Christie cp2000, Barco Dp2000 and 3D
Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2019 12:42 PM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all..

Is it possible to achieve 3D shows with a Barco dp2000 or a Christie cp2000?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-29-2019 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, with Master Image or Real-D systems its really very easy. Dolbly 3-D is a little more involved as the spinning wheel goes inside the projector.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-30-2019 09:35 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Dolby 3D for anything other than the high-end laser setups still a thing? I thought they went End-of-Sale somewhere at the end of last year for xenon machines?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2019 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen several used Dolbly 3-D systems for sale...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-31-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but given the fact that he runs a very low budget operation, I don't think Dolby 3D is the best way to roll. Even though the projector retrofit may be gotten pretty cheap as a second hand, you still need someone to install it into your projector. Since this machine is both eol and end-of-support, I simply wouldn't risk it.

If RealD is active in your market, that's one of the cheapest solutions for the exhibitor if you're looking at one-time investments. Otherwise, there are some alternatives in the market that don't require licensing fees, including some Chinese manufacturers if you want it really cheap.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2019 01:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, totally agree! It wasn't a good way to run even if you had a big budget...

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-31-2019 03:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a better 3D system if for not needing a silver screen. We put quite a few in and most remain in use. We, generally, had separate lamphouses for 3D lamps so they were only paying for the bright lamp when they needed the extra light.

6P lasers address the low light efficiency of Dolby 3D but they are crazy expensive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2019 09:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a great system if you enjoy 3 to 4 fl of light level whilst burning a 6kw lamp. If you put a silver screen in a narrow room they are actually passable.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-01-2019 10:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4fL on a 1.0 gain screen are visually equivalent - or better - than 6 or 7fL measured on the hotspot of a silver screen.

Particularly compared to those short-throw, flat frame Silver screens I have seen around so many times.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my systems ran at 4.5fL nominal and yes, 4.5fL on a Dolby 3D on a white screen will appear brighter than 8+fL on a silver because there is more than just the dead-center of the screen to look at.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: