Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NCNC2500s (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NEC NCNC2500s
Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2019 07:14 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends.. My barco dp2000 has been working just fine..

I have just found a NEC NC 2500 for friends site. Price is great. Server - GDC SA 2000 any thoughts this product?

A

|  IP: Logged

Mark Louis
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2019 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Louis   Email Mark Louis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Koroye Seitonkumo
I have just found a NEC NC 2500 for friends site. Price is great. Server - GDC SA 2000 any thoughts this product?

The NC 2500 is a great projector but it is a Series 1. Meaning if it doesn't have a Gore Board (Which replaces the standard Interface Board) it may be incompatible with the GDC server, if the server is at a DCI compliant software version. We have been using the NC 2500 in a trailer, projecting on an outdoor screen for the last several years at a Homeless Community Center in Austin, TX. We run almost exclusively BlueRays so we don't have to worry about playback issues with DCP's. Most recently, the LPSU died and NEC donated a replacement so we could get back on screen for this charity, and the projector keeps chugging along with more than enough light.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-27-2019 10:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series 1 NEC's are real rats nests, but every bit as reliable as theor S2 stuff is. I can not reccomend that GDC server at this point in time because GDC will no longer supply parts for them.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-27-2019 10:10 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Koroye - as a second screen, or as a replacement for the DP2000?

As a backup/replacement, you should probably aim for a series-2 machine. The DP2000 life span is limited.

Oh, I see, for another site...

Same potential issues as with the DP2000 - what about replacement parts? I assume this NC2500 will again be shipped from elsewhere?

- Carsten

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2019 10:36 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really low budget here.. can someone point me to a reasonably priced aeries 2 machine?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2019 04:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way would I want an NC2500 as a replacement for the DP2000, unless there is a factor in play that you haven't told us about (e.g. you need the extra light output capability of the bigger NEC).

In my experience, the DP2000 is less likely to go wrong, and easier to fix when it does (both in terms of getting hold of parts, and the difficulty of actually doing the repair) than the NC2500. Agreed totally with Mark that the NC2500 is a rats' nest inside. The LPSU is about the only component that can be swapped out without any wailing and gnashing of teeth (apart from the air filters and bulb, obviously), and that's because it sits outside the projector!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-27-2019 05:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Koroye - what's the price for the NC2500/SA2000 you have been quoted?

- Carsten

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2019 12:20 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Server $1900, this has been purchased already, Projector offer $5000...

I am not swapping the Barco DP2000.. My barco has been working really fine and I am now about to change that..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2019 05:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the server dies it's all over as no parts are being spplied for it. You can still get firmware updates though.

Mark

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Updates on the NEC 2500..

The theater technician says that these NEC projectors do NOT have GORE boards in them. They were using Dolby DSS100 Show Stores and DSP100 Show Players to link to
the projector via HD-SDI. In this configuration, no GORE boards are needed. So they say. I'm no expert, I do not know DCI cinema to that level of knowledge.

Anything to worry about? Will this meet DCI compliance?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2019 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will absolutely need a gore board IF you are planning on playing DCI Compliant content, or, any content from Hollywood. And the GDC server will need an update to the current SMPTE compatible firmware, which means that GDC will need to be updated to 8.XX firmware. A lot of the content is now encoded to SMPTE standards... Weather you can even get a GORE Board is pretty iffy.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-02-2019 10:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GORE board isn't needed. That was just Hollywood paranoia. They could enforce it for the VPF programs.

Only if the KDM checks on the security enclosure would one run into trouble. I haven't seen one yet. The only customers of ours that bought them got VPFs...the screening rooms never did and never had any issues playing any content.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 11:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interface boards types 3 thru 6 should be DCI complaint, right? They all support Cinelink II TLS.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-03-2019 12:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, DCI compliance requires the GORE board and it could be applied to various versions of the TI board though mostly it was on type 4-5 (HDCP compliant too).

As for TLS, yes, that is also something for DCI but it is entirely separate from the GORE board which physically prevents access to potential duplication by physical connection.

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2019 03:13 PM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a lot more confusing at this point.. I wish I could hear that I will be able or not able to play back studio Movies for instance..

The technical explanations truly mess me ul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: