Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Datasat AP25 (AP20) audio monitor out

Author Topic: Datasat AP25 (AP20) audio monitor out
Karim Benmachiche
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2019 06:25 PM      Profile for Karim Benmachiche   Author's Homepage   Email Karim Benmachiche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here using the monitor output on the AP25/20 could confirm this?

There is a monitor output on our AP25, which is a single RCA output. Does this mean, if the source is 5.1 for example, that all channels are mixed into a single channel? Or is it possible to select 1 of the source channels and route it to the monitor?

Manual says the monitor output must be connected a to a powered amplifier. If I want to use a basic set of computer speakers, can I simply get a Y cable to split the RCA output and then concert both to jack?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2019 06:38 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One neat feature of the Ap20/25 is that you can fully configure your monitor output, there is a basic matrix that allows you to select which channels you want to mix together and also how loud (relative) every channel should be.
You can also choose if you want the monitor fader to be completely seperate from the main fader or if it should follow the latter.

Note: From my experience the monitor output will not deliver enough level to properly drive your pc speakers.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-23-2019 04:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set of active speakers connected to the monitor and HI-out for checks. As most cinema audio gear, the AP20 outputs 300mV (Dolby level), which is below the common consumer level expectation, however, with the set of speakers we use, it's okay for monitoring in a typical booth situation. Our speaker set also has an additional adjustable Mono-Mic Input, it can add a good amount of gain if necessary. The type is Behringer MS-16.

- Carsten

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2019 06:44 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our setup I put a cheap Behringer Mixer/Splitter between the monitor out and the different monitor speakers / amps. This way I could also easily distribute the signal to the booth monitor(s) and if needed also via a Multicore to the lobby PA system.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-23-2019 04:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had issues with the active speakers I was using either.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 01:51 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Active speakers should work fine, you can always crank up the volume/gain a little more. Passive speakers or headsets without pre-amp will probably not work satisfactory.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 02:13 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I was specially unlucky then, Years ago I had a customer who bought a cheap set of active PC speakers that we should connect to the Ap20 monitor out. Volume was so low that one could barely understand Dialogue with all the booth ambient noise...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 02:18 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a case of bad noise filtering combined with a pretty crappy amp...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 11:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends heavily on the type of active speakers/gain options I guess. For the 'line' input of our Behringer speakers, I had to max out the monitor level of the AP20. No issue if I use the 'Mic' input on these speakers. That Dolby 300mV standard is a bit unlucky nowadays, with more need and options to use non-cinema gear in the booth.

- Carsten

Karim Benmachiche
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2019 06:20 AM      Profile for Karim Benmachiche   Author's Homepage   Email Karim Benmachiche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. Just need to get some adapter for the AP25 output and I'll test with the speakers we already have - and I'll have a look at those you linked to Carsten otherwise.

Cheers!
Karim

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: