Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP 750 problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP 750 problem
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2019 02:48 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a few CP 750 s go dead where even the backup power supply does no good. I've noticed the 5 amp Auto fuse had blown on the circuit board ,replaced that get a few flashes from the front that's it .has anybody else had the same problem and know what's causing this.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Not exactly sure what causes it, but I suspect heat, as those things have no active cooling and they get very hot. The only thing that can be done at this point is replace the motherboard. You can purchase one from Dolby or send your unit to them for repair. Sorry, wish I had better news.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2019 10:16 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I bet if a guy would take that top cover off cut a square hole into it Mount a fan in there it probably would prolong the life

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-22-2019 01:24 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David J Hilsgen
I've noticed the 5 amp Auto fuse had blown on the circuit board ,replaced that get a few flashes from the front that's it .
It's a clear indication whatever caused the issue isn't gone. If you do have backup power, maybe you can disconnect that one after replacing the fuse to make sure that one isn't actually the culprit.

Also, if you do have backup power, you could try to run it on backup power only, by disconnecting the main power from the motherboard (connector on the "bottom right" when you have the front plate in front of you), this to ensure that the main PSU isn't the problem.

If that doesn't help, it's probably a component on the motherboard gone wrong.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-22-2019 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me really glad I went with USL at all my DC conversion sites over the years. I have not had any JSD-100 failures yet. Have had two JSD-60's go kerfluey on me though.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-22-2019 09:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I believe all of our CP750s are still going too. I think we've had 3 power supplies fail (could be a couple more but not many). We also give them space above/below to breathe.

I don't get the point of the JSD100 and the JSD60 was just 2-channels shy of where it needed to be. The JSD60 also put the pro-logic decoder on the wrong AES pair. Near-misses.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2019 07:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Idea on that because all my JSD-60's are in simple 5.1 systems that never play back anything through pro-logic. The user programmable mix down matrix is also very handy for drive in use. For a small processor/price point it has a lot of features that others lack. Auto-EQ, Parametric EQ, and an optional three channel biamp crossiver just to name a few.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2019 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our systems are 7.1, hence the missing 2-channels. And since they have a matrix decoder...it SHOULD have been on pair "A" to handle DCPs that have a 2.0 channel configuration (shows up more times than I care to mention).

Agreed on its drive-in configuration...where we also use them. Note, there is yet more configuration available on the JSD-60, if one looks under the hood. Like you can decide which channels respond to the fader or not so you can set up your drive-in, in particular as you see fit. There is a lot right about the JSD60...just missing 2-channels and the matrix on the correct channels, for me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only four out of 340 screens I did got 7.1 installed. Three were with JSD-100's and one was with a QSC Cinema processor. At that site we were able to gut the theater equipment wise and start over from scratch. Most locations were too small to justify it, or they just didn't want to spend the money to do it. In fact at Mike's theater, QSC actually advised against it because of the size. Most of my customers screens were <200 seats.

Mark

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 06:48 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion 5.1 to 7.1 is a bigger upgrade than 7.1 to Atmos for most environments.

In our screening room, most people are capable of hearing the subtle differences between a 5.1 and 7.1 mix. It really adds some "physical depth" to the sound as you can clearly indicate sounds as coming from behind you.

Then again, most people don't really hear the difference between Atmos and 7.1. If you really play them one after another and you specifically point at the differences, you might see that some of them notice them, but even for me it's often hard to hear and you could easily fool me by just claiming something to be an Atmos mix, where it actually isn't...

The biggest advantage of Atmos is that we do have 5 stage speakers and that format could actually use them appropriately. Unfortunately, most Atmos mixes still locate dialog just flat in the center, probably simply in the center bed because they're simply to lazy to let it track the location of the character on screen...

The overhead speakers are there just mostly for the show. I wouldn't even mind if they'd scrap them from the "minimum equipment list".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2019 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why I never have advocated Atmos. Just as 7.1 is expensive, the expense for Atmos is extremely hard to justify in a 250 seat room. And even going from 5.1 to 7.1 is going to involve redoing the wall coverings. Its that part that made most customers shy away. There is usually more expense there than in the actual surrounds.

Mark

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 10:16 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7.1 was a breeze for us because we already had it for film. I really don't know why 7.1 AND Scope didn't become the standard for DCI. The system could easily cope with a fallback to 5.1. And cropped formats are a no-brainer within a Scope container.
Also, I can't see the value of Atmos when 7.1 is still a rarity. Especially if your main market is not Action-adventure pix.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-25-2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7.1 is essentially a zero cost upgrade. MOST of the systems I dealt with already separately amplified the rear surrounds (EX or not, in the film days). Hence most of our systems are 7.1. It didn't cost ANYTHING. I don't think I upgraded many/any from 5.1 to 7.1. There were some 4.0/4.1 to 7.1s though and a few 1.0 to 7.1 (going from film to DCinema).

As for new installs, they are almost all 7.1. It has to be the odd room that would only get 5.1.

Size of room should have ZERO consideration of 5.1 versus 7.1. Shape of room, on the other hand, could have an impact. If it is 100-feet long and only 20-feet wide, then 7.1 will have little impact for many and would require quite hefty speakers for the rear surrounds (say QSC's SR-1590s or JBL's 9350s).

And, for the record, I've never had QSC try to talk me into or out of a product/design. Who is the designer? You or them? If I have a question about a product's appropriateness, I'll ask them...not wait for them to tell me. You are supposed to be the one with the knowledge.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2019 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember who the designer was back then (2012ish), but that same person highly reccomended it at the large single screen where we had already planned on doing it. Most of the systems I delt with were installed by others in the stereo optical days. When a chain has 90 out of 115 screens equipped that way, the upgrades, if they are done, happen over time. And that chain has since been sold. So who knows what has happened there. Again, you are over looking the cost of re-doing the theater wall coverings. Wooden backings were typically put on the wall first and coverings went over those, so they'd have to be moved and some new ones added for extra surrounds. The cost of the interior coverings had to be taken into account in the overall cost of going to 7.1 in all the locatons I serviced, and that cost is higher than the conversion to 7.1 itself. Older locations coverings are going to be not only filthy, but probably faded just from atmospheric exposure over 30+ years. Having seen the dust come off of old wall coverings liek that being removed in those sorts of places, I prefer not to even be in the same county when that is going on.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-25-2019 11:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they needing to add speakers to the rear wall? They should be there already in a 5.1 system! That is why 7.1 is essentially a zero cost upgrade. At most, one would need an additional amplifier and reconfiguring the surround wires to the amp, if it is a 5.1 system.

If they don't have rear surrounds in a 5.1 system, they are doing it wrong already.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: