Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCDC satellite distribution for a single screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: DCDC satellite distribution for a single screen
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we are about the only theater in our area that's not getting our movies via satellite....but we're also the only single screen in a 40 mile radius.

I inquired about DCDC and received back a form to fill out, along with an email that said there are certain "minimums" that have to be met to supply us with the equipment....but of course, they didn't state what these minimums were. I sent the form in a couple of days ago but I haven't heard back. We meet all the other criteria (own the building, have a way to get the cables in, have an available circuit for the catch server, etc)

We play about 45 movies a year these days, usually within the four-week window that DCDC operates in. Do we have a shot at getting satellite delivery?

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 05:52 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the considerations is whether you normally play the content before it is deleted from the server. Looking back at my emails on the deleting schedule it appears to be a minimum of 4-6 weeks, but varies by title. Deletions scheduled for 8/16 are:
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2
  • Child's Play
  • Annabelle Comes Home
  • Toy Story 4
  • Spider-Man Far From Home
  • Midsommar
  • Stuber
  • Crawl
  • Yesterday
  • Rocketman
  • A few other small titles

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 07:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so here is a real-life question.... I see on your list there, Pets 2 and Rocketman. We usually play "catch-up" movies in August that we missed earlier in the summer, so as it happens we are playing those two films starting on the 16th. I assume as long as I copy them over to our server before the deletion date, I'd be good...right?

I think about 90% of the movies we play are within the 4 week window.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 08:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure this isn't just me, being seriously old-school, but...
I've been dragging my feet on this because they want to put their dish on top of my snack bar, right in the middle of the roof, visible to everyone. My roof is flat, so there's no way to conceal it without building a "beauty fence" (!) around the thing.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm just playing HBO for $10 a person, even if it's clearly not true.... to me, at least. So, I pay the extra $20 per DCP. In the end, I'm paying not to have to deal with an image I don't want to project, but there you are.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 10:08 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack
Many customers assumed we were playing movies on DVD when we were still using film. Given modern technology, I don't think anyone would draw conclusions about using a satellite to receive content. As long as your picture looks good on the screen I doubt anyone would even give it a second thought.

Mike
If you have an LMS you can actually ingest the titles as you need them and keep them on your server as long as you have space. If you don't have an LMS it becomes a bit more complicated because the titles are downloaded to a CRU drive which you move to your server and manually ingest. The CRU is constantly overwritten, so you have to be on top of checking it for new content. That being said, as long as the content exists on the satellite server they can publish it to the CRU within just a couple hours.

I have the Cinedigm (Hollywood Software) LMS system. We are set up to be able to browse all published content on the satellite server and download whatever we need. This helps manage space because we are not having 16 different versions of a movie dropped on us. We also only need to ingest the trailers we actually use.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
If you have an LMS you can actually ingest the titles as you need them and keep them on your server as long as you have space. If you don't have an LMS it becomes a bit more complicated because the titles are downloaded to a CRU drive which you move to your server and manually ingest. The CRU is constantly overwritten, so you have to be on top of checking it for new content. That being said, as long as the content exists on the satellite server they can publish it to the CRU within just a couple hours.
Here's where my confusion starts.... originally I was told that we needed a "TMS" (not LMS) to move content around with. Then later I was told that we don't need that since we're a single screen. But I wonder if this "movies off the break" situation will change that?

I'm not clear on the difference between a TMS and an LMS.

quote: Jack Ondracek
I've been dragging my feet on this because they want to put their dish on top of my snack bar, right in the middle of the roof, visible to everyone
I feel the same way about the dish. Our roof is angled, so the dish (assuming we get it) WILL be near the back of the building, well out of view. To this day we don't really promote "digital cinema" at all and occasionally people are still surprised that we don't use film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2019 06:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

TMS and LMS are much the same except the TMS (Theater Management System) goes a bit further than the LMS (Library Management System) and allows you to create pre-programmed schedules to run your films on. You can do it at the theater or remotely. GDC has the least expensive option for a TMS and thats pretty much what everyone with more then one screen got when I did conversions. There is one single screen with a GDC TMS in Price, Utah, but he has three more screens just down the street in a seperate TMS. He does DCDC down load at both sites and has the DCDC catch server tied into both TMS's so he can retain content longer than the DCDC normally does. DCDC installs the equipment for free, but they do not tie their catch server into your TMS. An outside tech has to do that, but it is like a ten minute job.
Because of your limited down stairs space the Catch Server and the TMS Server would have to go upstairs and you would access them from the box office computer remotely with a desktop connection or remote viewer.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2019 12:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - sending email.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2019 05:44 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no difference between TMS and LMS. They are two terms used for the same thing. Maybe a specific vendor differentiates the two, but overall, they are the same thing.

There is generally no reason for a single screen theater to have one. I don't know whether DCDC absolutely requires one. I would think that you could use an FTP client to retrieve content, but I certainly could not swear to this.

EDIT:

Thinking on this further: GDC and Doremi allow you to ingest directly from an FTP source. Typical sources would be a TMS and each of the other screen servers in the building. This is a handy feature for ingesting content at the last minute or when the TMS is down. DCDC can also be configured as a source. So I can't really think of a reason why you would HAVE to have a TMS to use DCDC. All you need to know is the IP address of the Kencast server and the FTP credentials.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2019 10:13 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
I've been dragging my feet on this because they want to put their dish on top of my snack bar, right in the middle of the roof, visible to everyone. My roof is flat, so there's no way to conceal it without building a "beauty fence" (!) around the thing.
You don't HAVE to put it on the roof. We brought in DCDC early in the spring of 2018. They came out and did a site survey and said they would mount it to my metal roof with screws. I said, "you're not going to penetrate a perfectly good metal roof for a satellite dish". Our other option they gave me was to "mast mount" the dish on a pole 10 feet away from the building.

What we ended up doing was trenching a conduit run 140 feet away from the building up on top of a hill behind the concessions stand. We ran 2" conduit from the building in the trench up to the top of the hill and terminated it with a PVC weather head. I had a 4'-0 x 4'-0" x 4'-0" hole dug on top of the hill for the satellite dish mounting pole and filled it full of concrete. The pole to mount the dish on is a 2 1/2" dia. RIGID metal conduit pipe.

On the building end, we used a 2" long sweep radius bend to come out of the ground and then used an 2" LB fitting to go thru the concrete block wall.

We had all of that done before the DCDC installation guy showed up. He told me that ours was one of the easiest he'd done because we had already done the hard part ourselves.

If you use Google Earth, you can see where we trenched from the building to the top of the hill. The satellite imagery from Google Earth doesn't show the dish yet. Looking on the Bing Maps aerial imagery you can see the satellite dish up on the hill.

We only have two screens, so we don't really need a TMS system. Both of my GDC servers are linked to a Gigabit switch that the DCDC catch server is also linked to. We can ingest from CRU, USB, DVD, DCDC, or the opposite screen server. It's all done via a touch panel on the back of the projector rack.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2019 01:53 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike -

The TMS/LMS thing. You don't actually need one to get the Satellite content. You just need to be able to push the content from the Satellite server to your GDC server.

They base whether or not you are eligible for a Satellite on your grosses and how many new films you play a year.

They pay for everything, so they want a solid investment.

P.S. I am in the process of switching my entire circuit over to DCDC. So far we have done 9 locations. Our single screen was not eligible because it is closed 5 months out of the year.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2019 02:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
They base whether or not you are eligible for a Satellite on your grosses and how many new films you play a year.

They pay for everything, so they want a solid investment.

Sure, I get that. I just wish they would put a simple number somewhere. "If you play X or fewer movies per year, or gross less than $X, you're not eligible." But they don't.

I submitted my form on Tuesday of this week and have yet to hear back yet, but I'm still hoping it works out.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-16-2019 03:54 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they care what your grosses are?

I thought you paid them per movie that you get off of their service so why would it matter to them if your gross was $1.95 or three million dollars?

Or do they charge you by tickets sold? Something else?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-16-2019 04:51 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall the LMS/TMS was a requirement for monitoring with the VPF deals. Our single screen drive-in had a micro LMS installed which served no purpose except monitoring - we didn't use it for content, scheduling, or anything else.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-16-2019 05:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some VPF providers might have required that, but not all did.

quote: Frank Cox
Or do they charge you by tickets sold? Something else?
I don't know the cost structure of DCDC, but it's supposed to be a "coalition" and therefore it should be more of a non-profit based setup...

Similar shops that offer content distribution here in Europe charge a monthly recurring fee for their equipment (if it's rented) and service subscription and you usually pay a one-time installation fee. They usually don't charge per ticked sold.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: