Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ncm

Author Topic: Ncm
Justin Bacon
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2019 10:10 PM      Profile for Justin Bacon   Email Justin Bacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys I'm just curious of how movie and cinemasounds works. I was told it gets to the servers by satellite. I'm curious because I want to run a 6 screen subrun movie theater. Do I buy a regular PC and run it? T

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-28-2019 10:26 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia entry

Read this for an overview, then ask any specific questions that you have after that.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2019 07:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to sign up for satellite down load service. Companies like DCDC supple all the equipment including the catch server the content is downloaded to. The content gets moved over your media network to each screen's server from there, usually via a TMS System that you provide.

Mark

Justin Bacon
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2019 09:34 PM      Profile for Justin Bacon   Email Justin Bacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys so much. Can't wait to start my own cinema.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-30-2019 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that DCDC will not connect their catch server into your media network. It certainly can and should be done that way but you will have to have your technician do that.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2019 05:26 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin,

Since the subject of this post is NCM, I assume you are asking about National CineMedia, the company that provides pre-show content such as ads that run before the start of the show. If so, then yes, all content is delivered by satellite. You do not need a PC. The whole system is fully automated by NCM. They install a satellite dish on the roof, and a receiver and server in booth, as well as their own network in the booth, with a player, or "client" as they call it, at each auditorium. Content gets downloaded to the server and distributed to clients. The server reads the POS schedule and builds a preshow for each show based on rating. Serial communication with several popular digital cinema automation systems allows for auto start.

Not sure why others mentioned DCDC, but that is a system for receiving features and trailers via satellite but is not related to NCM.

Does this answer your questions?

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2019 07:20 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NCM uses JNIORs to interface and coordinate with existing media systems in the theater. That is done (if I am remembering correctly) through a serial connection since in general they are not usually allowed to connect to the theater network for security reasons. My understanding anyway.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2019 04:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly correct. (Well, I don't know if security is specifically the reason, but NCM does have their own network, not connected to the theater's D-cinema network.) JNIOR is one of at least three automation systems I'm aware of that NCM can work with. I assume there are others. (They have a really good engineering team, and I imagine they can figure out how to work with any automation that uses RS-232 if it's not already supported.) And if your automation isn't supported, there's always the relay board option for GPIO control.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: