Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS-200 Degraded Array Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DSS-200 Degraded Array Question
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, at one of the screening rooms I work at, I noticed a "degraded array"
warning. When I investigated further, the system is showing Drive 1 with 16
reallocated sectors and Drive2 with 15 reallocated sectors. ( [Eek!] )

I was just at this location two days ago and I KNOW this warning was not present.
So far, it hasn't in any way affected operations.

I know they need to look at getting some new drives in there, but in the short term,
my question is: CAN I DO A RAID RE-BUILD WITH 2 DRIVES DOWN LIKE THIS?

I need to use this server again for a press screening on Thursday,
and I don't have the time to get/install new drives B4 then

Since, so far, it's not affecting operations, I'm tempted to leave it
"as is" until I can deal with it next week. (This room isn't used every day)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2019 04:59 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

Reallocated sectors are a leading indicator of drive failures, but having reallocated sectors doesn't necessarily mean that the drives are bad. I had a site with a major structural failure that shook the building very hard, and we gained a few dozen reallocated sectors added...but that was from the mechanical shock. After that they were still fine.

The DSS200 will attempt to rebuild on it's own, so at least one of those drives may be bad since it is still showing the error.

It is advisable to try and command a rebuild just in case and won't affect playback. I'd also look at the front panel and see if one or both drives show red.

If it is only one, power down, pull the drive, and power up again. If the unit still works, get a new drive for the system.

If the unit doesn't boot, you know that two drives are acting badly (you should be able to put the one drive back and limp along while you get two new drives, then wipe the system to create a new RAID). Obviously take note of settings in the config script, any serial commands and settings, and copy all the needed content off.

You can also put system logs through the Dolby Log Analyzer to see additional information.

If you need help on any of these steps, contact our team at CinemaSupport@dolby.com. We can look deeply into the logs and easily tell if you have one or two drives that are bad.

Mike Renlund
Dolby Laboratories

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-22-2019 08:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look after a few DSS200s and 220s showing between 1 and 100 reallocated sectors, one of them on all the drives, literally for years. Of course I advise replacement of any drive showing reallocated sectors as soon as I see it (whenever I touch a server, I download a log package and put it through the online analyzer, usually as the first thing I do), but sometimes, the end user doesn't regard it as a priority to do that. The server still works, right? [Roll Eyes]

If the DCP you need for Thursday is ingested and you know that it plays OK, then if it were me, I'd leave the server powered up, and deal with the problem after your screening is out of the way.

Again, if it were me, I'd put a log from your server through the Dolby log analyzer. If it shows that those drives have racked up more than 43,920 hours (which is equivalent to five years of spinning: there are 8,784 hours in a year, and as a very rough rule of thumb, enterprise grade SATA drives are said to be good for five years before the risk of failure starts to increase significantly), replace the whole set and do a clean install of the software. Take the opportunity to open up and clean out the server case (e.g. with a paintbrush or Datavac), too.

2TB enterprise grade drives are now so cheap, that, IMHO, it is silly to take the risk of a RAID going out, stopping a show, and maybe having to give out 100 refunds.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2TB enterprise grade drives are now so cheap, that, IMHO, it is silly to take the risk of a RAID going out, stopping a show, and maybe having to give out 100 refunds.

I couldn't agree more with that statement!! Why risk losing a show for $300 worth of drives. The refund will cause you way more than $300 worth of grief. Average drive lifespan is three to four years anyway. Unfortunately Dolbly didn't allow for a hot swap standby drive which is really a shame since their RAID card does support it.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I actually wasn't supposed to work that screening
yesterday and got called in at the very last minute & managed to squeeze
it in before another commitment afterwards. I don't know why I didn't
think of pulling & analyzing the logs, except that I was in a rush to get
to my next location. Duh!

quote: Mike Renlund
The DSS200 will attempt to rebuild on it's own,
After the screening, I tried re-booting the serverthingy, and it
automatically started doing a 'raid re-buid'. This morning, I logged in
remotely and the re-build had completed, and the "degraded array"
error message was gone.

So for now, things seem to be under control, although obviously I
need to talk to 'the boss' about getting some new drives in there.
I've installed new drives before, so I'm familiar with the procedure,
and I think there's also an instructional document on how to do it
on the Dolby Customer website, which I have access to in case I
need to refresh my memory. The Approved Replacement Drive List
is also there IIRC.

quote: Leo Enticknap
If the DCP you need for Thursday is ingested and you know that it
plays OK, then if it were me, I'd leave the server powered up, and
deal with the problem after your screening is out of the way.

Actually, the Press Screening in question was supposed to happen last
Friday, but at the last minute was re-scheduled to this Thursday, so the
content IS already ingested, and I just got a new KDM, which I was able
to (remotely) ingest this morning with no problem.

So for now, I, too believe that "If it works, don't F*** with it" (at least
until after Thursday) is the best path forward.

The room isn't being used again until then, & I don't have time to go
down there before then anyway.
- - but when I do go in on Thursday, just for fun, I'm going to pull the
logs and run them through the Dolby Log Analyzer & see what it sez.

quote: Leo Enticknap
it is silly to take the risk of a RAID going out, stopping a show, and
maybe having to give out 100 refunds

Agreed, although in our case it would only be ONE refund, albeit a big one! [Smile]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-23-2019 10:51 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that a degraded array will affect the performance considerably. But a RAID array that's rebuilding will impact the performance even more. Also keep in mind that depending on disk size and load on the machine, a RAID rebuild can take anywhere between hours and days...

Also remember that an array that has a failed member, that has been re-inserted into array, has a big chance of failing again after a while. Often, when a disk/member fails during a show, it will have an impact on the show, like a short to medium hickup during the presentation.

Also, a faulty disk can sometimes bring the performance of your array to a grind, so much, that it even impacts normal playback. If you have a disk that's failing, but always answers back just before the RAID controller or RAID software would eject it, it can cause some severe issues with performance. Some Film-Tech members have experienced such behavior before. RAID controllers and RAID software usually isn't smart enough to detect this kind of behavior and as long as the disk keeps on giving back the requested result, it will hang on to the lagging disk.

I consider disks to be a consumable. You usually should swap them out after 3 to 5 years, depending a lot on the usage pattern on them. But for a normal server, playing one to three shows every day, I'd say replacing them every 3 years is good practice.

Luckily, compared to almost anything else on this equipment, disks are pretty cheap.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2019 10:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On servers with full-sized 3.5" SATA drives that are left running 24/7, our experience is that after around 30,000 hours, the chances of bad (reallocated, as Dolby Show Manager labels them) sectors appearing increases from almost zero to low, but the chance of an outright drive failure remains near zero. After around 40 to 45,000 hours, a drive is almost guaranteed to have some bad sectors, and the chance of a drive failure becomes significant.

On IMS type servers with 2.5" drives, those figures become 20,000 and 30,000 hours. They just don't last as long, possibly because they operate at a higher temperature.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2019 01:19 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably also because they are notebook drives and not enterprise grade.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some 2.5" enterprise grade drives running in several places. But it's too soon to tell. The cost is about 20% higher than notebook drives, and most enterprise servers run 2.5" drives now as they can fit more drives in a given server. The thing I don't get here is why are we even using mechanical drives these days? OK for the OS where it may be frequently written to, but stupid for the raid where 80% of their lives they are reading back data, and reading data is not detrimental to SSD's lifespan.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2019 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ultra Stereo IMS used SSDs, and its imminent reincarnation as the Q-Sys one also does so; but that's the only example of SSDs in an IMS that I can think of. Apart from them not being approved for use under warranty coverage, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't put them in a Dolby, GDC or Barco IMS, though.

I have been told by various people that SSDs are even less tolerant of excessive heat than spinning rust drives, which I'm guessing could be why they haven't appeared much in IMS servers, as well as the cost.

It's much easier to keep old school server drives cool: in particular, the fans in a DSS200 shift enough CFM to air condition Hell. In an IMS, you're basically reliant on the card cage cooling provided in the projector.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-23-2019 08:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco now also qualified SSDs for the ICMP. I think manufacturers didn't follow that path earlier because SSDs had been prohibitively expensive in usable capacities before. The two USL IMS using SSDs also supported DTS-X offline rendering and playback in addition to HFR bandwidths, so probably needed considerable higher throughput from it's RAID.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-24-2019 07:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has qualified some 2TB SSD drives as well. I suspect, over time, more and more will move to SSD as the cost difference is continuing to diminish to near nothing. Reliability of SSD has also gone up.

As for 3.5" HDD, you get 5-7 years out of them, typically (unless you are into Seagate) so what's the big deal? 2.5" HDDs are also seemingly doing well. What are you going to get out of the SSD? Faster boot times? Again, I think it is all heading that way anyway.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-24-2019 09:18 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest advantage of SSDs will be faster turnaround times when you can push content around over a network. Although in most cases, the network will be the new bottleneck, as most servers and IMSes are limited to gigabit speeds.

Maybe we see the hard-disk based DCP distribution swap to SSDs. Not only are SSDs far cheaper to ship (you can essentially ship them by postal mail with a pouch-slip), with a proper USB 3 or higher connection, you could enjoy a major speedup in content ingestion.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-24-2019 09:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is hard to find conclusive data on this, but mechanical hard disks appear to still be more reliable than SSDs. The write-cycle limit of SSD has effectively been solved, but they still fail (and tend to fail completely and without warning).

Given that digital cinema has a fixed maximum bit rate and that even a single 7200RPM mechanical drive can reliably read data at that rate, the advantage of SSDs in a cinema server is minimal (mostly not being sensitive to vibration and generating less heat). I could see the advantage in a library server, though.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-24-2019 10:51 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the use-case of the SSD. An SSD can theoretically read an infinite amount of data, it cannot store an infinite amount of data, because of the limited write cycle. For some applications, SSDs are more reliable than rotating rust, due to this aspect.

The write cycle limit of an SSD is pretty predictable and can be closely monitored. The problem is that, when you put them into an RAID array, all with the same age, they're going to fail awfully close together. So, you need to replace them before you park yourself against the wall.

The failure of an SSD is indeed mostly binary, it's usually completely dead. Data recovery from an SSD, if possible at all, is even more expensive than from a platter.

The biggest advantage of an SSD is the far shorter access time to random data and therefore far larger "IOPS". This performance gain is primarily experienced in stuff like databases.

For standard DCI servers, not much gain to be gotten. One advantage though is, that with SSDs you have less to worry about bandwidth problems on your storage medium when we're going to see stuff like 60fps 4K or even 120fps 4K content...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: