Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Recommended Screen surfaces for Laser

Author Topic: Recommended Screen surfaces for Laser
Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 01:06 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I would like to find out from anyone with experience on laser installs being laser phosphor or RGB, what type of screen surfaces has been used for 2D and 3D applications.

How acceptable is the speckle with a silver 2.4 gain if using it for dual 2D/3D? Or does clarux performs better with laser or do you really need screen shacker?

Is the Hi-White type of screens good enough for 2D with laser without screen shacker? What type of screen gains to limit in laser applications ?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-19-2019 03:08 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most phosphor laser machines don't really have a lot of speckle and don't need any screen shakers at all.

I'm afraid that a 2.4 gain silver screen with RGB laser will yield some terrible speckle. Usually, the projector manufacturer can give you some lists of screens they tested and what countermeasures are necessary for RGB laser setups.

Barco, for example, claims that their 6P machines don't need screen shakers at all for most screen types. I've not yet seen them in production, but they claim the same for their new series 4 3P machines.

Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong MDI has a new high gain surface for laser projection:

https://strongmdi.com/blog/introducing-premium-hga-1-7-screens-the-new-standard-for-laser-projection/

I've been told it will work for passive 3D applications depending on the application and media.

Muhamad Taufiq
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2019 01:00 PM      Profile for Muhamad Taufiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a technician, so please take my post with a grain of salt.

I have seen Barco 60L in 2 different cinemas, one with white screen and another with silver screen. The one with white screen, I can definitely see some speckle but most of the time there's no problem ignoring it. While the silver screen one definitely has a lot more speckle and it's kinda hard to ignore.

For Christie CP4325-RGB, so far I've seen it in 5 different cinemas, all with white screen. There's some variation between cinemas, but generally speckle is a bit less than 60L with white screen, almost not noticeable. I'm pretty sure this projector won't be installed in any cinemas around here with silver screen, so I can't comment how it will perform with silver.

As for Barco SP4K... well I'm still waiting for one to be installed.

P.S. I don't know whether any of those cinemas use screen shaker or not

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2019 05:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Muhamad Taufiq
The one with white screen, I can definitely see some speckle but most of the time there's no problem ignoring it.
That was exactly my experience working in a venue with a 30L, too. It had to be a white screen, because film as well as digital projection had to be supported. The laser speckle was basically like changeover cues: if it's pointed out to you, you can't "undo" noticing it thereafter. But if it's not, most viewers notice the higher contrast range first and foremost, and aren't bothered by the slight speckle.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-24-2019 12:23 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Muhamad Taufiq
P.S. I don't know whether any of those cinemas use screen shaker or not
It's indeed pretty impossible to tell without being able to look behind the screen or without being told. But afaik, Christie generally advises to install screen shakers with their RGB laser projectors. There are a few venues where it was seemingly omitted as the shaker setup seemingly doesn't work well with all screen configurations, especially uncommon geometry like deeply curved screens.

Those in charge of marketing those projectors are seemingly not so fond of the need of screen shakers for some configurations, that's probably why they try to keep a lot of information regarding their use under wraps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: