Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Again, DP2K-32B lamp issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Again, DP2K-32B lamp issue
Ivan Franco
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2019 01:27 PM      Profile for Ivan Franco   Email Ivan Franco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in this year is the second time this happens

what do you think?

a bad instalation or a bad bulb?

i was thinking about the SPG, LPS or simply an insufficent air flow

melt:
 -

bulb:
 -

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-18-2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how the anode's terminal could be melted like that. I'd like to think the terminal was defective as that's crimped/soldered at the factory and both ends of the lead are ok.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2019 03:40 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to ask what brand of lamp was that?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-18-2019 03:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the air flow is insufficient, the vane switch in the exhaust manifold should drop, resulting in a yellow tail light and an error message. Also, the temperature monitoring should detect if the lamphouse is close to overheating. After the lamp has been running for a couple of hours, what do the temperatures look like (in Communicator, Diagnostics > Actual > Temperatures)?

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2019 04:10 PM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anode cable shoe is bent. Applying too much force to anode cable results in bad connection and arc overshooting anode and finally melting the cable?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-18-2019 04:12 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size lamp? A 6kW or 6.5kW lamp will melt that cable if you focus it really out of whack. Even a smaller lamp can do it. I don't think the glass mirrors can distort enough to do anything close to that, I saw some different heat damage from a warped metal mirror.
If you need to defocus a lamp to get light level down, always pull the lamp into the mirror (clockwise on the Barco Z axis nut) as this spreads the beam. Going out of the mirror will focus the beam to a spot, this can melt a hole in the integrator face or cold mirror.
But probably that was from the lamp anode cable threaded connection being loose?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-18-2019 05:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat from a single projector lamp would never melt metal like this, unless you focus it on such a tiny spot, but then it would still not melt through the cable.

This is arcing in action (which will melt metal) and probably the result of a bad connection and increased resistance as a result, like Paavo already indicated.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-18-2019 06:38 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem with the above ideas is: How could the lead touch anything in the lamphouse so as to be able to short / arc in the first place? The leads aren't all that long and there isn't much in there for it to touch.

I agree regarding temperature. My Barcos shut down at about 103 degrees (short story... forgot to turn on AC. Room temp is monitored downstairs now!)

I could almost buy that the connector might have melted off, due to improper attachment, but then we need to talk about what kind of bulb that is in the first place. It looks pretty dark to be within warranty. Then, there's whatever looks like it dripped inside the envelope? ??????

My 4kW bulbs run up to warranty and look like they could do twice that much. My 6.5k bulbs are "foot to the floor" by the time they hit warranty, and even then, they aren't nearly that dark, so this looks pretty strange to me.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 02:48 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How tight was the threaded connection? I've found several that were loose out of the box.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 01:39 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I would rule out that being a Ushio bulb. This is a 4.5 kw version I took out of a similar Barco recently. It looks quite different than the one with the burnt lead. We have since upgraded to a 6.5 kw.
 -

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-19-2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
Problem with the above ideas is: How could the lead touch anything in the lamphouse so as to be able to short / arc in the first place? The leads aren't all that long and there isn't much in there for it to touch.
A short would simply blow a fuse before anything could start melting. Arcing usually starts when electricity "jumps a gap". That can happen if the path through the air has less resistance than all other paths. There are formulas about how big the voltage potential difference has to be for it to jump a particular gap.

In this particular case, it looks like the lead melted at the part where it is crimped onto the connector that again, connects to the lamp. Maybe that connection has a production fault, where the connection isn't correctly crimped and only a fraction of the wires in the cable actually carried the current around that connection point. That could lead to excessive heat, melting and eventually arcing.

I'm obviously just trying to make sense of what happened, other explanations are probably equally likely. All in all, to me this looks like a production fault more than anything else. It would be nice to know what manufacturer it was.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-19-2019 05:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,
That 4.5Kw doesn't look healthy. Besides the darkening, there is a huge irregular buildup on the anode. I cannot remember what that means but you should investigate. Are you sure the lamp was run within its current boundaries and within the warranty hours?

Ivan Franco
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 07:43 PM      Profile for Ivan Franco   Email Ivan Franco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello everybody, that was a osram 6.5k lamp

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-20-2019 06:02 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ivan Franco
osram 6.5k lamp
Oh well then we know what the problem was [Smile]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2019 01:04 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco,
I will try not to ramble but this is the particulars in that house. Barco 4K 32B. Large screen venue house, the kind we charge extra for the privilege to see movies in this house.
Originally had 6K bulb. When the hours came up on the 6Ks for change the bulbs still looked good. During operation I would see the lamphouse only using 4k of power or less to get the 6k to 16fl. It would only approach 6k when it was playing Real D 3D content.
Corporate decided to downgrade some bulbs in various houses to save a few $ here and there. 4.5kw bulbs started going in there. These would max out at 4.5 and since they had longer warranty hours these came out darker when changed. This one was the worst one.
The projectors are networked and monitored from afar and our booth engineer noticed the lamp readings were not good and had me change to the 6.5 version. The 6k version I think was phased out by Ushio.
Their theory for the downgrade was 6.5 kw bulbs get changed every 900 something something hours while the 4.5 get changed every 1700 hours. Looks good on paper, but not always practical in the field.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: