Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Off Centre for Digital Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Off Centre for Digital Projectors
Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 08:08 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Is centre line absolutely essential? Or.. is there a certain amount of compromise either way without noticeably or substantially affecting the on screen image?

Interested in all your thoughts on this? Trying to decide the best way to approach something.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-03-2019 08:34 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost no movie projector is exactly in the center of the screen, not vertically and many also not horizontally. Perfect vertical alignment is almost impossible, because the beam would probably impact the audience before it reaches the screen. And horizontally, it's quite common to have multiple projectors aimed at the screen, which makes perfect horizontal alignment impossible.

All DCI compliant projector/lens combinations allow for a certain amount of lens shift. The larger your lens shift will be, the more side effects you'll get though, like non-uniform focus and optical aberration.

Then there are the digital tools, that allow for trapezoid corrections called keystone corrections. I consider those options last-resort options, because they digitally alter the image, thus lowering the potential resolution and often leave some nasty artifacts.

Also, in order to correct focus issues due to extremely high projector placement, like in rooms with very steep stadium seating or balconies, a common trick is to tilt the screen a bit.

I know about one auditorium that is located in the basement, which has the booth located on the left side (when facing the screen), this sub-optimal placement is due to height restrictions. This leaves some noticeable issues with focus on screen.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-03-2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Then there are the digital tools, that allow for trapezoid corrections called keystone corrections. I consider those options last-resort options, because they digitally alter the image, thus lowering the potential resolution and often leave some nasty artifacts.
Those are not available on DCI projectors thought so if you run out of lens shift you'll see vertical/horizontal keystone.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Also, in order to correct focus issues due to extremely high projector placement, like in rooms with very steep stadium seating or balconies, a common trick is to tilt the screen a bit.
Most projectors have focus adjustment for those situations. Barco calls it Scheimpflug, Christie Boresight. I don't think NEC has it even though you can play with the mount a bit to achieve some results. Sony 500 series features spring-mounted mounts which can be used (officially? unofficially?) to correct focus.

I never had a situation where I could not make the focus even throughout the screen using those tools. Clearly if you end up with the projector at the side of the room as Marcel mentioned, then you'll have to live with severe compromises.

PS: I find that not many techs like to adjust the focus uniformity by playing with the aforementioned tools!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC has the adjustments, though awkward on many of their projectors.

As for absolute center...the closer the better but as others have pointed out, there is some amount of adjustment. Realize that 1.38" 4K projectors will have the least amount of adjustment due to how big the imager is relative to the inlet pupil of the lens.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a screening room where the NEC projector was located way off
center using an old spotlight port because we wanted to keep our two 35mm's.

But the picture always bothered me. I didn't have a trouble with image focus,
but trying to get an even light across the screen took a lot of work, and even
though it "looked ok", it wasn't ideal, and it bugged me.

I also had to play with the internal projector masking quite a bit to hide the
fact that the image was trapezoidal. Corporate customers who put power-point
graphs or charts on screen often commented that our projector "wasn't level" ,
and I'd have to explain what was going on & why it looked that way. Enough
of the image was masked that we were just barely "DCI legal".

I finally had enough, and early this year I got them to spend the money to
move the NEC to position between the two 35mm's. This involved buying a
spacer to bolt onto the existing projector pedestal to raise it about another
foot or so, and to re-do some of the power & and signal wiring.

The whole thing cost just under $1000, but IMO it was worth every penny.
My tapazoidal image is gone and screen illumination uniformity is now no
longer a challenge to achieve.

The NEC is now located between the two 35mm's, and shoots out of one
of the projectionist viewing ports. I can still do 35mm change-over shows.
I can easily squeeze between the NEC and the left 35mm projector, with
no problem, and I can still see enough of the screen to focus & catch catch
the cue-marks. It's a bit of a tight fit, but I'm a skinny guy & have no
trouble. If "the other guy", who is a lot larger than I am needs to do a
35mm show, the NEC is on wheels, so we just roll it back a bit so he
can fit in there. I made sure there was enough slack on all the cable
connections to do this when we moved the NEC to the center position.

Long story short- - IMO it was well worth the effort to get the projector
to its' new position which is now almost dead-on center screen, and I
sleep a lot better at night knowing that I'm no longer forced to work
with what I always considered a 'compromised' image at that location.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-03-2019 01:26 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
Those are not available on DCI projectors thought so if you run out of lens shift you'll see vertical/horizontal keystone.
It's not certain we're talking bout DCI projectors here. But, DCI projectors indeed don't allow keystone corrections, but almost all other digital projectors do. Not all digital projectors do have lens shift though. (Interestingly though, DCI still allows for scaling, but that's another discussion.)

I had a special case of a laser scanning projector once, that did have a pretty interesting trapezoid correction configuration, by adjusting the laser scanning pattern itself.

quote:
PS: I find that not many techs like to adjust the focus uniformity by playing with the aforementioned tools!
It's a pretty time consuming process and you need the proper tools to do it right, like at least some good binoculars.

The problem with scheimpflug/boresight adjustments is that when you over-use it, it seems to cause some additional optical aberration, especially in the edges of the screen. (You can try to compensate that by adjusting the convergence a bit... [Smile] )

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2019 04:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a couple during conversions that were about 5 degrees off center. The projectors can certainly handle it, but keep in mind that DCI allows zero geometry adjustent. Being off center will also affect light distribution and might make for a longer lens change, waiting for the shift. Not reccomended for any 3-D systems.

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-03-2019 05:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only worked with NEC and Barco projectors. I really like the scheimpflug adjustment on the Barcos. When I took my level 1 certification I remember the instructor was extremely impressed with my screen adjustment, especially the scheimpflug. Several of my NEC projectors could really benefit from a similar adjustment. I know it's possible to get a small amount of this, but since it's not a native function I don't even want to mess with it.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 08:18 PM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this all so far.

It’s an NEC, DCI projector. I’m going to work out the angle shortly, but I can’t see it exceeding five degrees.

The question is whether to leave it dead centre and make fairly significant structural changes to accommodate a 35mm to the left, or to tuck it in the corner of the box, make less structural changes and put the 35mm in the centre.

The left porthole was originally for an advertising projector. There is the possibility that this cinema may only have a few years of life left, so until that’s certain, I don’t want to go too nuts on modifications if there are less invasive ways to achieve similar results.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2019 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the NC1200/2000C, the left/right boresite/scheimpflug adjustment is a matter of loosening the four allen cap screws on the lens mount (from inside the projector. You don't want them sloppy loose just enough so you can move it so a little friction is good. If you get it loose and you have any down angle, the weight of the lens will cause it to skew. There is a slot on the "left" or the "non-op" side of the mount that is for an offset too but a slotted screwdriver with a largeish blade works fine and you can tweak it for left/right adjustment. Snug them up and it should be good for that.

Up/Down...that is another interesting activity. They are done from the front. There is a set of four ball bearings that sit on a shelf (well...two above and two below). Presuming positive gravity, you back the two below off and adjust the two upper ones (the bearing centers are on eccentrics) to pivot the lens mount up/down. Be sure to get them matched (so each are bearing the same amount of weight). once done, bring the lower bearings back up to just pinch the shelf (without binding).

I recommend Barco's Focus green pattern (or similar) as it has targets in all of the important areas. You won't be fooled by convergence (only one color and it is in the middle of the range). If nothing else, NEC's adjustments are not interactive with each other. you or only moving vertical or horizontal...aside from if you loosen the mount too much and the lens is tipping on you.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2019 06:49 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the 900 as well? These are getting kinda long in the tooth, but are still doing their job.

Sounds adventurous, but I’ll have a look when I sort out doing it. It’ll only be left/right. They’re a reasonably flat rake, so no huge issues there.

Thank you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2019 07:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure you can scheimpflug an NC-900. The mount is all too simple. But if you do go in there... its a lot of work to get to it! Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what the mount looks like. While you are in there check the lead from the motor seen in the first image, lower left. NEC had a bunch of those assembled improperly and there is a serice bulliten regarding it. That lead will eventually short out if your lens does any vertical repositioning between formats.The short will also blow the chip on the lens driver board. The chip is very inexpensive, the lens driver board is about $250.

Mark

-

-

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-04-2019 08:42 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam - can you give us approx figures about throw and the off-center distance of the projector?

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-04-2019 08:44 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any reliable way to "schleimpflug" an NC900 or I'm missing something. I also don't see anything in the pictures Mark provided, that indicates it is possible. In order to do so, you need to be able to reliably change the plane of the lens versus the imager, in ever so small increments.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-04-2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my NEC NC2000C projectors the focus across the screen is close enough that I don't think it's worth all the work it would take to try and improve it. With the focus adjustment set to fine, I think there is no more than 4-5 clicks difference between the extremes. I have it set to the center of that range, so the difference is really only noticeable when you have a framing pattern on the screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: