Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trinnov Ovation Sound Processor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Trinnov Ovation Sound Processor
Geoff Halls
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 12:32 AM      Profile for Geoff Halls   Email Geoff Halls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently trialing a Trinnov Ovation sound processor (made in France). Has anyone had any experience/ comments on them.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 08:16 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quake!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-01-2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a forum search on 'Ovation' or 'Trinnov', and you will find a couple of recent threads dealing with it.

- Carsten

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a very challenging auditorium here in Milwaukee. Domed ceiling, limited ability to cover hard surfaces in order to preserve the architecture. The Ovation was simply a revelation. Its ability to operate in the temporal realm cleaned up our audio like no one's business. I highly recommend trying it out especially for challenging rooms. (You can get an idea of the room from the photo at AvalonMKE.com )

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very familiar with the Avalon. Did work on the booth there on and off in the 80's, and 90's and at the Times... Yes, that room not only has standing waves, but it's very live with a long delay!! I'm glad the Ovation worked for you. Its the best cinema processor out there right now.

Mark

Geoff Halls
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2019 09:44 PM      Profile for Geoff Halls   Email Geoff Halls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, Sounds Great.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-04-2019 05:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're trailing the original Ovation or the Ovation 2?

Would be nice to hear some real-user stories regarding the Ovation 2, if they're already out in the field.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2019 08:25 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flexibility of being able to route input to output is good. On AES input I do 7.1 surround and on the 8 channel analog input the extra 2 channels are for Le and Re. Also have a preset for baby boom on 6 track mag. The 8 channel analog input comes from our CP200.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2019 06:43 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Marcel's question about Ov2, there are about 75 out in the field already and as far as I know, only Pete Naples on F-T could comment so far.

The Ov2 from a sound quality standpoint is the same as Ov1. The differences are:

New calibration wizard that is web based and very intuitive. Others can comment but the feedback I have had in training is it's very easy to proceed from start to finish. The Ov1 was pretty good but more of an engineering program.

The front control is two touch panels, one is the Trinnov audio board and one is the Linux PC. This resolves some international shipping issues we had with knobs and some manufacturing speed is added by not having front panel alignment/button alignment be so critical.

The GPIO board option which was almost never purchased is removed in favor of a 16 channel AES3 output board, TASCAM pinout. Please note this is available in the 16 channel output version, but not the 24 channel output version, as the extra output board makes it an either/or situation.

I'll save the sale pitch, but can answer any questions that come up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2019 08:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting one here this fall to replace our 14-year-old CP650.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-09-2019 10:00 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Mike. You just replace your CP650 with the Ovation 2 as drop-in replacement or will you do other improvements as well?

It will be interesting to know if you're going to hear the difference between the two.

quote: Mike Babb
I'll save the sale pitch, but can answer any questions that come up.
I've read that there were some trials with DTS-X on the Ov1. So I was wondering if there would be a DTS-X option out-of-the-box for the Ov2? And if so, what kind of maximum output channels the box could handle.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2019 11:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
You just replace your CP650 with the Ovation 2 as drop-in replacement or will you do other improvements as well?

It will be interesting to know if you're going to hear the difference between the two.

Just replacing. We already upgraded the rest of our system a few years ago with QSC amps and 3-way speakers, and a full baffle wall. Not sure what else we can do affordably, outside of adding more channels and our place isn't really big enough to make that necessary.

Our tech has said he thinks I will hear a difference, so we'll see.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-10-2019 08:14 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
so we'll see.
I hope you'll hear it too...

Sorry... worst joke of the day.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Not sure what else we can do affordably, outside of adding more channels and our place isn't really big enough to make that necessary.
It's just an idea, but if every surround speaker has its own amp and you do have sufficient outputs on your upcoming Ovation 2, maybe it's an option to run them to individual outputs on the processor. That would only require a little bit of extra wiring inside the booth.

Even though "MDA audio" does only add a minimum of extra experience in smaller rooms, if DTS-X becomes available and the licensing costs aren't through-the-roof for your new machine, it may offer some extra "marquee value".

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2019 11:02 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the DTS-X question...GDC can decode 13.1 or 15.1 and send it to Ovation 1 or 2 as AES3. Then we take it and send it out bi or tri amp screen speakers, sidewall backwall and ceiling surround zones. Because of the time and phase alignment the mix holds up really well and setup is an hour or less.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2019 06:50 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing but good things to say about Trinnov from my experience.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: