Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Franklin Designs TDM-1025 masking motor control issue

Author Topic: Franklin Designs TDM-1025 masking motor control issue
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Side-movable masking using a TDM-1025 motor. When opened all the way up to Scope, when I press the Flat button on the automation or issue a Flat cue, the masking closes in a little towards the Flat position and then stops. Press the button again, it moves a little more. Again, and again. About four times, total, for it to reach it's final resting position. Same for moving towards Scope from Flat. At first I just thought the limits need to be adjusted, but it doesn't seem like that would cause this problem. Once the motor reaches the assigned limit, it would not continue to travel when the input were pulsed. I don't believe it's a wiring problem, as the issue happens when I jump the terminals on the control board at the motor.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 03:36 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance that the masking is getting jammed in the track?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2019 09:06 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like something is causing the motor to stop even though it is being commanded on. I would measure the output from the controller to make sure that the power to the motor isn't dropping out then I would try to run the motor unloaded and see what happens. My guesses would be

1. Controller failure
2. Motor failure
3. Mechanical problem in the rigging.

In that order

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2019 07:52 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motors I have encountered, have a piece of threaded rod, driven by a gear/belt from the motor, somewhere near the masking cable flywheel. When the motor turns, so does the threaded rod, which has a lever attached to it, which moves a distance left or right, along the thread and and when it reaches the limit set, this lever touches on a microswitch which cuts the motor. If these motors work the same way, then one of the microswitches could be jammed or something is pressing on the microswitches with each revolution of the motor?
The motors I have come across are 40+ years old, with this simple end stop switch. Are modern ones microprocessor controlled now with some counting going on?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2019 03:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are sorta just adapted Garage Door Openers. Mulones crap was much the same. Check the micro (limit switches) carefully. Switches made today are garbage and short lived because the contacts contain no cadmium.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: