Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony Pictures and lack of a 7.1 CPL

Author Topic: Sony Pictures and lack of a 7.1 CPL
Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of my locations, both of our houses have 7.1 audio capability. Something I've noticed with Sony releases (both Men in Black and Spider-Man FFH), is that they are including both 5.1 and Atmos mixes, but no file that specifies 7.1.

If I were to use the Atmos version (assuming I was able to get the KDM), would our processors properly downmix that to 7.1? Or am I stuck using the 5.1 mixes?

I ask because I've seen many releases that include 3 audio versions - 5.1, 7.1, and then a file that seems to include both 7.1 AND Atmos. I've never tested using that Atmos file, however. Here's what's included on the Spidey drive...

SpidermanFarFH_FTR-1-2D_S_EN-XX-CCAP_OV_51-HI-VI-Dbox
-OR-
SpidermanFarFH_FTR-1-2D_S_EN-XX-CCAP_OV_51-HI-VI-Atmos-Dbox

Our main house has a Trinnov Ovation, smaller house has a JSD-100.

It just seems odd that they'd put the time and effort into making an Atmos mix, but to not make a 7.1 version available.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this case the backup PCM track for the Atmos is 5.1 so getting a key for it would do no good.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 03:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I look into our DCP database, I haven't seen a single Sony released DCP with 7.1 sound. The only exception being a single local (german) release of a musical-type production.

When doing an ATMOS mix, the Dolby toolchain allows to create 5.1 and 7.1 mixes automatically during mastering, but not on site through the cinema processor.

But these additional versions would still both need to be QC'd and passed creatively. Obviously, Sony doesn't like 7.1.

- Carsten

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 12:27 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another fun Sony tidbit... we have midnight shows of Spider-Man and it looks like the key won't go live until 12:01am. This means I'll have to manually run our pre-show in a separate playlist as the server won't start a playlist with a key that isn't valid. Thanks, Sony! [Mad]

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. Just received a call from Deluxe, I was told the key will now go live Sunday night at midnight. Wonderful.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: