Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HDMI from Stage to Booth Advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HDMI from Stage to Booth Advice
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 02:44 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been doing more speakers with Powerpoint presentations and need to up our game.

I'd like to be able for the speakers to operate their presentations from the front of the stage with their own laptops. Currently, we put their presentation on a laptop in the booth and go the "next slide please" route. It works, but not gracefully.

Ideally, I would like to do this wirelessly.

It is about 100ft from the stage to the booth at the back of the balcony. I bought a remote clicker that can make it to the front of the balcony, but not into the concrete bunker 1941 projection booth even with the door open. Are there signal boosters for this purpose? Is there a wireless transmitter/receiver that can be plugged in at the stage and trasmitted to the HDMI input in the booth?

Wiring up for HDMI from the stage may be doable, but more expensive and a pain. We are going for a grant, so the expense may be taken care of. A brief scanning of HDMI extenders using Cat5e/6 indicates the maximum run is 150 feet. All of the snaking to get from the stage to the booth may be close to the limit. Is HDMI actually reliable to 150ft or will I need boosters?

Anything I'm overlooking? Advice and recommendations appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2019 03:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a few options:

The cheap way is to use wi-fi networking and install VNC on the presenter's computer and on one in the projection booth. This requires installing stuff, which the presenter may not want to do (or be able to do). This also does not really work if the presenter wants to do anything with sound. A related method would be to use an Apple TV in the booth and configure the laptop to display to it, although this (as far as I know) only works with Macs.

Another option is HDBaseT, which is good for 100 metres (300-odd feet), and which works well. It runs on cat. 5e or cat. 6.

The next option is to convert the HDMI signal to HD-SDI, then run coax cable to send the HD-SDI signal to the booth. Alternatively, Teradek makes a wireless HD-SDI transmitter and receiver, which is good for a few hundred feet. These are rent-able if you do not want to buy one. Supposedly, it works fine. I don't know if these will carry sound, though.

Some things that will bite you with all of these options: older laptops that only have VGA outputs (there are VGA-over-cat5 devices, or you can convert it to HDMI or HDSDI), Mac laptops (and others) which require any one of a dozen or so adapters that no one ever remembers to bring, and that stupid non-locking HDMI connector.

Personally, I don't trust wireless, so I would suggest just running cat. 6 cable from the booth to your stage (do several runs--at least four). You can use one of the other runs for network, which would be good for the next time that someone wants to do a Skype call in front of an audience (which never works right...I hate using Skype for public events).

Edit: there are also USB-to-IP devices that will let you plug in, say, a keyboard and mouse at the lectern, and use them to remotely control a computer in the projection booth. Look at the Digi "Anywhere USB" product line (which is Windows-only, but works well) for an example.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 05:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We bought a couple of different gadgets to cater for different needs.

At 150feet, you may need to buy HDBaseT - the cheaper CAT5-HDMI extensions are sometimes advertised to work over these runs, but they are probably unreliable.
HD-SDI/fibre converters cost even more.

It's not such a bad idea to use a wireless presenter to control a notebook in the booth. On our site, we have the USB receiver located close to the port glass. However, we could also have it hanging out on the back wall through a small cable conduit on a standard USB extension cable.
That's probably a low cost solution compared to HDMI extensions. However, some presenters want/need to look at their local display to make it though the presentation.

I would strongly suggest to run two CAT6 cables from stage to booth. With todays breed of adaptors and converters, you can have any signal type running back and forth, and putting two cables in doesn't cost much more than a single one. Make sure that proper cabling is used. I still don't believe how many still put in unshielded cable because it's a few cents less. You also see many patch cables without screen. Typically, you recognize them easily because there is no metal screen around the connectors.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 06:09 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDMI will not be reliable over 150 ft without some serious boosting or regeneration, at least not at FullHD-like bitrates.

There are plenty of HDMI extension solutions out there, but we recently implemented the HD Fury Maestro. It's essentially a scaler, 4 ports HDMI switch/router and general HDMI Swiss army knife with 4K HDR HDBase-T support. At $1000 for both the scaler/receiver and one transmitter, it's not cheap, but also not the most expensive option out there. The fact that we can automate most of the functions via RS232 is pretty important for us.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 04:22 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably mentioned in other threads regarding this, but still.

After testing about a dozen CAT5/6 extenders, wifi transmitters and hdmi singal boosters, the only range of products i have found to be reliable enough is the Extron DTP HDMI line here .

One should ideally run a shielded CAT6 or better cable direct from booth to stage (you can maybe use speaker cable conduit if an old building). Anything in between the two points can cause trouble, routers and switches especially, but even patch panels.

The extrons have been reliable for many sources (bluray, desktop, laptop, through random displayport-hdmi or microHDMI converters... at FHD resolutions up to 60Hz). They do 4k also, but havent tested yet as no suitable projector. They have done a 250 feet run on unshielded CAT5 even on an occasion, but reccomended CAT6.

Couple of things to always take care of tho:
- yes, extrons are expensive!
- if possible, test the setup first. borrow it from the dealer and plug into 300feet of whichever cable you have.
- wiring for CAT6 should usually not be an issue and major expense.

Hope it helps.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-26-2019 07:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that Extron is my most reliable extender. On the cable, the shielding is more important than the higher CAT number Shielded CAT5e will outperform CAT6 UTP. If you look at Extron's cable, it is really just shielded CAT5e (braided shield). It is on the higher end of CAT5e with a bandwidth of 425MHz rather than 350MHz.

That said, most HDBase-T devices should "work."

Also beware that as HDMI changes, so does the requirements on the infrastructure. "4K" is nebulous specification. Getting 4K at the HDMI 1.4 standard has quite a few options as it is, at best 10.2GBps. However, at the HDMI 2.0 standard, it is 18GBps and the dirty little secret there is that MOST of the equipment on the market can't handle it, you can't have it all, 4K, 60fps, 4:4:4 color and 12 Bits per color. That exceeds 18GBps bandwidth. You can have most of that...say 4K, 4:4:4, 24fps at 12-bit or you could go up to 60fps and drop down to 4:2:0 but something has to give.

One nice thing about HDMI 1.4 is that the restrictions are sort of already cooked in. You are going to top out at 8-bits, for instance.

HDMI is a least common denominator system so the worst thing in the entire chain sort of sets the limits for everything it touches.

But back to the OT. If you can afford it, I'd get Extron's DTP or preferably XTP system (the XTP is VERY pricey but darn near bulletproof and can have a scaler built into the receiver so everything works). They make wall plate systems for the stage that have VGA and HDMI inputs (auto switching) so the client can just plug in what they have and it comes out HDMI in the booth. The need for VGA is diminishing rapidly though.

If Extron is out of the budget range, then look for an HDBase-T solution. You still need to run shielded CAT5e or better between the booth and stage but that cable is pretty cheap and with plenum cable, you can run it most anywhere you need to. Do yourself a favor and run a spare or two so you don't need to revisit it so soon.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 10:17 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Extron but I personally prefer Crestron DM. I have posted the DM distance specs below for cat 5e and their own 8G cable.

Supports cable lengths up to 230 ft (70 m) for UHD and 4K using DM 8G cable, or 165 ft (50 m) using CAT5e

Supports cable lengths up to 330 ft (100 m) for all resolutions up to UHD and 4K using DM Ultra cable [1]

Here are some of the things Crestron DM supports;

HDBaseT® Certified — Enables direct connection to other HDBaseT certified equipment

Provides one HDMI® or DVI display output [2]

Handles video resolutions up to 4K and Ultra HD

Handles 3D video and Deep Color

Handles Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby Atmos®, DTS-HD®, and uncompressed 7.1 linear PCM audio

HDCP 2.2 compliant

Provides a 10/100 Ethernet LAN connection

Enables device control via CEC, IR, RS-232, and Ethernet

Compatible with Crestron® USB over Ethernet Extenders

Crestron DM extenders can operate via "PODM" or Power Over DM

I imagine that Extron's version has similar specs and features

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In working a lot 'union jobs' at convention centers & hotels, as well as in many
of the mulit-purpose screening rooms I work at, I've encountered a number of
HDMI extender devices. In general, you get what you pay for.

As someone else pointed out- - a wireless system may or may not work for you.
The wireless HDMI systems I've worked with have all been rather expensive
models (over $500), but even so, we would NEVER use wireless for 'mission
critical' HDMI signals, such as the main source to a projector. The HDMI wireless
links were reserved for lobby or backstage cue monitors, etc. Another thing we
needed to take into consideration, especially at the hotels, was the amount of RF
'noise' in the area. Many of the wireless HDMI extenders share frequencies in the
2.4 & 5Ghz bands with WiFi and other radio technologies which can affect the signal.
(And which is why we only used it for remote monitors)

One of the screening rooms I work at had a nice wall-panel & rack mounted VGA
(wired) video link between the stage & the booth, which was probably state of the
art when it was installed in the 1990's, but was woefully inadequate now. We really
needed to upgrade to an HDMI link so clients could do their presentations from the
front-of-house, but because of the building construction, pulling new cable
at that venue would have been extremely difficult & expensive.

Fortunately, there were also a number of spare 75Ω coax video tie lines between
the stage & booth, so I wound up using HDMI-to-SDI transcoders to send the SDI
signal over the coax. They weren't all that expensive, and they worked very well.

For extremely long runs at convention centers & stadiums, I've worked with some
HDMI-to-Fiber systems, but they are uber-expensive, although most of them were
capable of carrying multiple signals in addition to HDMI, and so were economically
feasible on big jobs when the cost of union labor for running & rigging lengthy
multiple cable runs, and breaking them down later, would easily exceed the
equipment expense.

No matter what, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW YOUR SYSTEM HANDLES HDCP!
This can sometimes be a 'gotcha'! Some systems I've worked with seem to handle it
better than others, and I've got a system at one location that doesn't pass it at all.

I'm not an expert in HDCP or DRM as implemented in PC & MAC HDMI interfaces, but
I'm guessing there are differences in the way it's implemented in various vintages or
versions of video cards and/or software & operating systems.

Just last week, I had a client who came in to rehearse her presentation and see how
it looked on screen, and everything worked well. But the following day, she came in
and & tried to run the presentation off of a different computer (one of the newer
MacBook Pro's) and I couldn't get an image out of it and onto the screen.
Experience, and a quick test with an HDMI video pattern generator I have, confirmed
it was an HDCP issue. I got around it by using one of those small HDMI
splitter boxes on the computer end, which I keep in my 'bag of tricks' for just
such an emergency.

Paul Finn
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 12:54 PM      Profile for Paul Finn   Email Paul Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up on Jim: I also have a facility with 75 ohm coax runs - longest are +/- 250 feet stage to booth. There are also Cat.5e runs which work well for VGA sources with Tripp-Lite extenders. However, even some laptop VGA sources will not output 1080P resolution because of HDCP issues. The simple fix is to change the source resolution to 1280x720 (720P). Some projectors will upscale this to 1080P, but if not, 720P looks fine on most video screens in less than twenty two feet horizontal sizes.

For HDMI, I use the coax with SD/HD SDI converters. Again, some laptops will not output 1080P because of HDCP. Checking the output on a monitor will show 1080i HDMI video. AJA mini-converters are reasonably priced and will up convert 1080i, or 720P for that matter, to 1080P at the projector if the projector does not. It is good to get away from the HDMI connectors ASAP and use DVI-D connectors/cable with an adaptor cable from the laptop.

The SDI links are completely reliable and trouble free even in a multiple AC ground difference-of-potential environment.

I have also used a Kensington remote clicker with the receiver hanging on a USB extension cable from the laptop outside the booth about 175 feet from the stage. The presenter could be given a small monitor, but most of the time just looks at the screen from an angle view on the stage.

Paul Finn

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-26-2019 03:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1080p won't cause HDCP issues...it will either be the bandwidth or the computer was outputting 1920x1080 computer rather than 1080p video (there is a difference as far as EDID is concerned, believe it or not).

Now moving to 720p will lower your bandwidth down and allow things to fit easier.

As for Crestron, they make some really cool stuff (and I think their prices are on the low-side for what they are), for sure. However, for a company that got their start by controlling other people's stuff, they sure don't play nice with others controlling THEIR stuff! Often, there is a means to do it but Crestron doesn't like to talk about it or publish it.

So, before I go and use a Crestron piece, I have to check to see...do I need a Crestron controller for it? Because that could add to the cost significantly (not only the controller but someone to configure that because I don't program Crestron).

Conversely, Extron is VERY controller friendly. They even have their SIS (Simple instruction Set) to make commands all that much more easy.

The only thing on Extron is that they only deal with THEIR dealers (which is nice, speaking as a dealer). So you will need to have your dealer provide you with any software that might be needed to configure their equipment...and we are only talking configuration, not coding (telling the DTP system, in this case, what your desired EDID is for picture and sound, perhaps a gain control...that sort of thing).

Extron, in their DTP range will handle either 230-feet or 330-feet, depending on the model.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-27-2019 09:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only like Crestron for self-contained environments like offices, meeting rooms or small auditoria with primarily business functionality, like hotels and convention centers. Doing external automation on Crestron equipment is close to impossible.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 11:07 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only things I really still use from Crestron is the DM stuff and only because that is what I am familiar with and can control with Q-Sys. If I was more familiar with Extron I would use them. I get the impression they are pretty evenly matched.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-27-2019 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Extron is very K-12 and University oriented. The closest that Extron has to a "DM" sort of switcher is their XTP line. The XTP stuff is pretty bulletproof but at a cost.

So for HDMI. From Extron's normal switchers (matrix) you have variants of 4. 4x4, 8x4, 8x8 (and even a 4x8) and up to 16x16. Which could quite possibly suffice for most cinemas. They are pricey though.

They do combine HDMI switching with DTP in their DTP Crosspoints. They go up to a 10x6 but again, it isn't cheap.

Compare that to a Crestron DM where you buy the frame you could possibly ever need and merely load it with what you need. It's always the right size and you only buy what you need (maybe a little extra on the frame size).

Extron can do that too in their XTP line...BUT it will cost you. Extron also puts restrictions on their XTP stuff (who buys it, what training/certification do they have...that sort of thing). It's good stuff, for sure and I have had zero XTP issues and have never heard of any XTP issues. But, for the most part, it is more that what typical cinema people will be expecting.

Since you can, apparently code for Crestron, I can see the desire to use that equipment. Often the simple action of sending an input to an output in Crestron is a relatively simple Telnet type command so that is viable but I suspect the command structure to do much else is limited.

Fortunately, the HD-MD6x2-4K-E is "cracked" enough that most anything of value is doable using conventional commands and I now have a couple of "user components" for that one for QSYS.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 10:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had good luck with these
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21669

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-28-2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monoprice can be a crapshoot. Some of their stuff is great, some is garbage. They generally price out on the low side. We certainly use their Ethernet patch cables and some of their HDMI cables. They have a several different DAs (splitters) that some work much better than others.

On the product that Gordon linked to...it sends up red flags for me. Were does it state its bandwidth. It uses AV double-speak in its specs (It does 4K/60 but at what color space? and at what distance? and at what bit depth?). Oh they'll tell you a distance but then they drop the frame rate spec off.

Key things to look for is the bandwidth the product will support. A proper HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 device handles 18Gbps now and a good HDMI 1.4 is at 10.2Gbps. If you don't see the bandwidth spec, I wouldn't look further. And even then, your work isn't done. You need to see if they will publish a grid of what is supported when other things are also true.

You want to see something like this:

-

Something that tells you what it can do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: