Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Tariffs and the cost of Equipment

Author Topic: Tariffs and the cost of Equipment
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 12:21 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sidestepping the political, has anyone heard anything definitive on what proposed tariffs on Chinese imports is going to do to the cost of projectors, parts and associated theatrical equipment?
Should we be hunkering down and put off any upgrades for at least two years?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My impression is that relatively few models of projector, server, and audio equipment used in the cinema industry have final assembly in China (some Barcos do, or did, according to the data labels on them, but I don't see one very often). Of course a lot of the constituent components will be manufactured in China, though. My guess would be that it might have a slight effect on prices, but that the increase won't be as significant as it will be on consumer and office electronics products that are fully assembled in China, by the tens of millions of units per model.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 04:26 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, it might have the biggest impact on Christie, as they still do most of their final assembly in the U.S., but many of the parts they order will come from China.

But consider Barco, who is still doing most of the final assembly of their flagship products in Belgium, can still order most components from China without paying import taxes and can then export it to the U.S. without the importing party currently having to pay any specific import taxes.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 06:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. If the final assembly of the product is in Belgium or Japan, then even if it uses a lot of components that originally came from China, then (I presume) as far as our government is concerned, for duty and tariff purposes, it's a Belgian or a Japanese import, pure and simple. But if the final assembly takes place in the USA using parts imported from China, then either the tariff is payable on those parts, or they try to find another source for them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2019 06:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know from a GSA standpoint, they look at multiple things. Is the product made in the USA but also is it made from at least 50% + 1 parts made in the USA to determine its country of origin.

I don't know who checks on all of this. I suspect it only comes up if you get caught.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 07:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, in this global economy, this will be a costly puzzle to solve...

Consider a simple print inside a modern machine, where the print self was etched and the components on it were assembled in Japan, the raw print itself was made in Malaysia, the copper on the print came from Chile. About 50% of the components on the print were made in China, 10% were made in Taiwan (Now considered to be China or not?) another 20% came from South Korea, some 10 percent came from Germany and the rest from Mexico.

How do you decide where it was made? By the mass of the components? What if nothing exceeds 50%?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2019 08:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the rare earth materials used in making this equipment it would be near impossible to live up to the GSA requirements. Stuff literally comes from everywhere on the globe these days

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2019 11:26 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the GSA 50% thing measured by weight, volume, or value? Or something else? Or is it just the number of parts (e.g. the machine has 1000 parts, so 501 need to be made in the US)?

How much of a D-cinema projector is really made in China? Certainly, lots of computer parts are.

[ 06-25-2019, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, it is by value. So if 50%+1 (of the value) comes from a TAA approved country, then it is from there.

So let's use the older servers as an example. The mediablock is where the $$$$ are in them, not the motherboard or the case. So if the Mediablock is made in a TAA country, odds are the whole thing passes.

So, on a projector, the imagers are going to be the big-ticket items and will carry more financial weight than the plastic covers or many of the other electronics.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 04:30 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TI's DLP chips are produced mostly in Japan as are Sony's high-end SXRD chips.

Other high ticket items are optical elements like the prism, which is usually something you leave up to the Japanese or Germans. The "good" thing is that most likely, not all that much of the imager is coming from China.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: