Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » I forgot projectors could switch input resolutions on the fly... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I forgot projectors could switch input resolutions on the fly...
William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 02:41 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never noticed before Toy Story 4 that the included trailers were 2K, but the feature itself was 4K, e.g.:
  • Onward_TLR-1-2D_S_EN-EN-CCAP_US-GB_51- HI_2K_DI_20190529_DTB_SMPTE_OV
  • Frozen2_TLR-2-2D_S_EN-EN-CCAP_US-GB_51-HI_2K_DI_20190601_DTB_SMPTE_OV
  • ToyStory4_FTR-31-2D_S_EN-EN-CCAP_US-G_51-HI-VI-Dbox_4K_DI_20190523_WDS_SMPTE_OV
Yeah, it's an obvious capability when you think of it (looking back, Late Night did this too), but it still caught me off-guard.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 05:35 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not so much switching resolution. Ever since we're stuck with fixed-pixel imagers, whether it is the LCD or OLED screen in front of you or the DLP, transmissive LCD or LCoS chip in the projector, those machines do nothing more than constantly running at their maximum resolution.

If you're running a 4K machine, 2K content simply gets doubled both vertically and horizontally. If you're running 4K DCI content on a 2K machine, the media block just renders the 2K component of the JPEG2K images in there.

Back in the days when CRTs (both screens and projectors) where still a thing, we had some real resolution switching going on.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 09:08 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Toy Story 4 distributed in 4K everywhere in US?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 09:25 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Bert
Is Toy Story 4 distributed in 4K everywhere in US?
I assume so. All of the drives I've encountered at 4 different venues
were all 4k. The Ingest Letters distributed in the US show all the various
2D/3D versions with all the assorted audio permutations as being 4K only.
The only version I don't see is one in Dolby Vision™

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen issues of one frame of small colored horizontal lines at the end of a CPL when switching either frame rates or resolutions?

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 10:18 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on doremi dcp2000 w/ barco B, we get a black frame between when switching frame rate, sometimes it is accompanied by glitchy looking dots or lines, sometimes not. they are not very noticable and not a lot of them, usually redish or purple in color.

on doremi dcp2000 ims w/Barco S, we get the same, black frame, sometimes same kind of glitch.

on GDC sx2000 w/NEC NC2000 we got a maybe half second black pause when switching frame rates. no glitch observed.

don't think i saw any glitches when switching from 2k to 4k content, but we always have black pattern between, running in 2k mode.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 02:35 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector: NEC 2000C (2k)
Serverthingy: Dolby DSS-200
Sometimes I've noticed a small momentary light colored line flash near the
bottom of the screen when switching between 2K & 4k (actually it only happens
when switching from 2k to 4k content, and not the other way around, if my
memory is correct) But it's so quick, and visually on screen it's not much
worse than a splice passing through a film projector, so I don't loose too
much sleep over it, although on really high-profile screenings or press
events especially if there's a prominent director or producer present, I'll
usually quickly shove a piece of cardboard in front of the lens just long
enough to hide the flash, since it's a manual booth and I'm 'stuck' up there
anyway so I might as well earn my keep.
(and it's impossible to program a 1 or 2 frame douser open/close command)

And yet, in another screening room, with the identical equipment, but which
was installed about a year later, I can't ever recall seeing this effect happen.
The only technical difference between booths is that only one is equipped for 3D,
and I know there are sightly different software versions between the two booths.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 10:22 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only version I don't see is one in Dolby Vision™
It's playing at Dolby Vision screens in NYC. That doesn't guarantee that the DCP is Dolby Vision, but it usually means that it is. And it's on Dolby's list as being available in Dolby Vision.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-29-2019 05:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe (and other 25Hz/PAL countries), the DSS200 is known for causing green flashes when switching between 24/25 fps CPLs in an SPL. Bad luck if you have one of those old projectors with dead slow dowsers.

- Carsten

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2019 08:51 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bajic hit the nail on the head as far as what I've seen with Barcos. I've heard some people say it's when switching color spaces or resolution but I agree that it seems to be frame rate but not all the time. Only certain prices of content show this. It can be a small issue at film festivals or other high profile events with mixed content.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Switching frame rate is always where glitches are going to come from.

Look at what is happening at the ICP (or equivalent) level. The moment the server changes frame rate, you are going to lose sync with the projector. Mind you, the server's mediablock can have its own issues changing frame rates too which can compound the issue.

Until both the server and projector are locked back on the same frequency, unpredictable things can happen. There can/are strategies to minimize it but they would be on the order of blanking the image during the transition and likely would involve adding latency (delay) so that in the event of a frame rate change, before the sync is lost, blank the image.

Changing resolution in a DCP should never cause a glitch. The server and projector already know what the resolution of the system is. If you have a 2K system (projector), it is ALWAYS in 2K mode. The server is always extracting the 2K portion of the image in the MXF file and that is what is going to the projector. Conversely, if you have a 4K projector, the server can either send everything as 4K (scale 2K to 4K via a simple 2X in both directions) or the same thing can happen in the projector. You never lose sync so no glitch. the worst that could happen is if the scaling process happens in a non-black frame you could see it pop.

Color changes should also never cause a glitch because again, they can happen pretty seamlessly on a CPL transition. There is never loss of sync.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2019 02:07 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If running a mix of 2k and 4k trailers ( Barco 4k with ICMP ) how do you program the needed scaling between trailers?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2019 04:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't. You're missing how DCPs are encoded. Every server and every projector can handle both 2K and 4K.

Since the ICMP handles the "ICP" functions too, it is its choice on where it wants to scale since it both ends of the equation. Either way, it is happening in the ICMP. If the ICMP is in a 2K projector, it will always output 2K regardless of source. If it is in 4K, it will always output 4K, regardless of source.

In fact, you have to go out of your way to get it to do anything else since it uses a special "auto" file in the PCF.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2019 08:35 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how would you handle a festival type situation or a shorts program with content in different frame rates? Re-encode everything?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-30-2019 01:14 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want to re-encode everything?

As long as you don't bring your DSS1000, most common framerates should be supported.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: