Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX-R320 / LMT-300 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony SRX-R320 / LMT-300
Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 12:32 AM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Hope all is good! I am new to the AV industry, I am currently facing an issue regarding my media block. 3 days ago I couldn't ingest because the ingest port/USB port is not reading/detecting any USB flash drive. I was planning to restart the media block but I don't have an idea if it will remove the dcp's and PL in the screen management system.

Any advise would be pretty much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-22-2019 05:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean with 'restart Media Block'? When did you powercycle the system the last time? While Sony calls the LMT-300 'Media Block', we would prefer to call it 'server'. Rebooting a server will usually cause no harm. Although in the case of the LM-300, you should not just switch it off, but perform a proper shutdown/reboot procedure.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 01:55 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Deney, and welcome! Restarting the MB (or as any other manufacturer would call it, the server) will not remove content or playlists. It's definitely the thing to try when experiencing odd issues like this. It's basically a full reboot of the server. One step further would be a power cycle: That is, shut it down, leave it off for a few minutes, and turn it back on.

What SMS and MB versions are you running? Seems like this was an issue a while ago that may have been resolved with a software update, but I could be remembering wrong. Also, it's not a bad idea to routinely power cycle a Sony system (weekly is good; monthly would be fine, too) to chase out glitches such as this. So it could simply be a matter of too much uptime.

Hope this helps! Please let us know how it goes.

quote: Carsten Kurz
What do you mean with 'restart Media Block'?
He means just that. It's an option in the menu. You are correct that it is a misnomer and Sony should not call the entire server the media block, but in Sony land, that's what we call it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-23-2019 05:09 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I am mistaken, I remember a "restart mediablock" option on the LMT-300 GUI which would only restart the ACTUAL media block. Indeed the Media Block should be the one dealing with drives and USB ports but I always feel that a power cycle (using the SHUTDOWN option) is a better solution. That would power cycle the media block AND the SMS server along with all the drives.

Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken, thank you for the information. Honestly the only GUI I am able to access was the SMS, I have checked menu options and found "Reset Media Block/Server" which I haven't selected. This is my first time really. I have seen the SRX-R320 manual but still a bit confused. Can you also kindly confirm if selecting the option Shutdown will completely turn off the SRX-R320 and LMT-300 at the same time?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-27-2019 04:53 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it would only turn off the LMT - if everything was set up properly.

Once the LMT is off, you can switch off the head by flipping the switch at the back. Wait 30 seconds then switch on the head again, wait another 15 seconds and then press the white switch by the traffic light thing to switch the server on again.

The SMS will be up in a couple of minutes. The Media Block will take a while to be online - you'll see a flashing green LED through the side if your filters are clean. Once the LED is solid, the system is ready to use - typically 5 minutes.

Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 10:58 PM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marco, noted and thank you for your help. Will try that now.

I will let you guys know whatever happens.

Cheers!

Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 01:37 AM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marco, I have followed your instructions but bot sms and lmt is not powering back on. Is there any instruction you can give?

I can also call if you can provide a number to contact

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 03:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true you have never been tought a power cycle procedure for this system?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 05:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should really call your service personnel and - as Carsten says - it's weird that you never rebooted that system, it should be rebooted every couple of weeks or so.

To be honest, I personally think that if you are not trained to reboot the system, maybe you're not the right person to operate it - please don't take this personally.

That being said, I guess you just need to switch the UPS on - the Sony system has its own way to power on and off.

But first, are you holding on the white button for a couple of seconds? You should hear a beep (the UPS switching on) and then the fans will start spinning.

Failing that, just switch on the UPS manually - depending on the model you may have to hold on the I/O button until it beeps - the server will power up subsequently.

Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2019 07:19 AM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten, yes it is true that I wasn't shown how this was done for the previous projectionist just left without notice.

Hi Marco, no worries. The server is now online but showing errors which prevents the dcp files to be played. here are the errors

PRJ: PRJ_Connect Error(Not Connected)
CSS: FIPS140-2_Mode
Marriage: PRJ-AUTH
Marriage: Marriage_Security
Marriage status security NonSecure
Could not communicate with UPS

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-28-2019 08:13 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you opened the projector?

Opening a DCI projector will "break the marriage". Resetting the marriage is for service personnel to do.

Or simply the projector head is switched off? Did you switch the head (breaker at the back) on before you powered up the server?

If you haven't opened the projector, just power cycle everything again in the order I mentioned. When you power up the head, you should see the small LCD panel coming up at the back with information on the head.

BTW: UPS communication error is why you are having trouble switching the projector on by the white button.

Deney Alestair Torio
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2019 06:01 AM      Profile for Deney Alestair Torio   Author's Homepage   Email Deney Alestair Torio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marco,

Have you opened the projector?
- no I haven't

But with sony support we have proven that the SMSCPU is faulty, I have used Putty to ping the IP and no response/Unreachable.
We are planning to purchase a new 4K Projector, anyone can give an advise which one of the new models that has almost the same outputs of the SRX-R320? Ours is connected to an automation system.

Thanks in advance!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-06-2019 04:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you choosing your next 4K projector based on the automation pinout?

I am not too familiar with the guts of an LMT-300 but I find weird that you have the GUI on screen but the ethernet is not working. But if that is what the Sony guys said, I'm happy with that.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-06-2019 05:55 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure, but it may be that the batteries are dead. Hard to believe, but maybe this system hasn't been booted since months or years.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: