Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » team viewer 12 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: team viewer 12
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2019 11:02 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anybody else having trouble connection to team viewer 12. I have ver 13 on my computer. I know they have now come out with ver 14. They were giving warnings about connection issue a while back with 12. They forcing every one to subscription/

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2019 01:27 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several weeks ago I remember getting warnings that unless I
updated all my machines to the latest version I would no longer
be able to connect. (and I did start loosing connection capabilities
on a couple of computers) So now I've updated everything to version
14 dot-something. So far no issues.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-13-2019 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are licensed on TV12 so none of ours on beyond 12 (screw the subscription model). Since we are licensed, we have our own customized host and Quick Support download links so we can connect to whomever we need to.

If TV14 doesn't connect to prior versions, then that is a poor defect in TV. I'm more curious since the mobile apps always auto update to the current version and thus far have not had any issues connecting.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 07:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have unfortunately updated some of my mobile viewers to the most recent version and noticed that I can't connect anymore to our cinema PC running an older version (that I prefer because I use an older licensed version). That was no problem for a long time. It is easy to select a specific version for Windows/OS X to fix that, but on an iOS device, you can not simply download a specific version. I may have a working version in one of my iOS backups and may be able to restore it.
The route Teamviewer is taking, I guess I sooner or later have to switch to an alternative solution.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-13-2019 08:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough...on my iPAD, which is an older one now, can't download the latest TV so the problem is sort of fixed for me there. But on the Android phone, I'm on 14.3.198 and have no problems connecting.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 12:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using a commercial v12 license here too. Not about to change. No problem connecting to our sites so far, I suppose TV could stop allowing connections through v12 any time they want as I assume it has to go through their servers to get connected.
That would just be a cash grab.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-13-2019 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they would have legal issues stopping TV of older versions. The license was "lifetime" so they would have to honor that. That was the appeal of TV over competitors like Logmein which also started off as free for private use and charge for commercial but then switched to charge for everything and now gouge for everything.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2019 02:27 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my case it was version 13 not connecting to 12.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2019 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teamviewer does this to cause you to upgrade and pay them more $$$. I really can't believe that anyone here is still using it. Cost wise it is just way too expensive, I mean there are both low cost and free alternatives out there. Yes, it IS a little more flexible in some aspects than some of the others. But how many theaters are you connecting to at once? Probably just your own or a customers. Even the free one allows more than one connection. The cost and hassles of Team Viewer are really only worth it if you are connecting to a lot of remotes at once. It is very good at that... for even more $$$$.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 06:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering if this could be a firewall issue. I've connected from 14 on my laptop (both the Windows and Ubuntu versions - the laptop is dual boot) to remote machines with 12 many times, without any problems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2019 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this problem with incompatibility before. Where you get a pop up that says you must update because the version you are connecting to is a newer version than yours. You will have the same issue with the version of Team Viewer that GDC Tech Support uses. If you go past a certain version number, then you have to default to using the special GDC QS version of Team Viewer. But that version has to be installed at both ends and your own Team Viewer has to be shut off.

I seriously doubt if its a firewall issue.Team Viewer is in business to make money.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 07:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Where you get a pop up that says you must update because the version you are connecting to is a newer version than yours.
But Stephen's issue is the other way around (13 on his computer, 12 on the remote one he's trying to connect to).

I'm on 14 now (my company does have the subscription), but I can't remember having any problems connecting from 13 to older versions.

Sure, connecting to newer versions won't work, but to older ones, I've never experienced any difficulties.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2019 08:07 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a new thing as they have been giving warnings for some time.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 08:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version mismatch message is different from the current connection issues. The issue seen currently is an error message that a connection can not be established. I tried it with all current and past versions, and it's going on for a couple of weeks. It's not a firewall issue, as Teamviewer uses a tunneling protocol, that's why it is so successful.

I still use a licensed version 6(!) connecting successfully to a host/QS 7.x - that still works. Usually you can connect across two different version numbers.

The 'free' version formerly allowed unlimited connection time to one/a few hosts.
Now, connection time is strictly limited to 5min (with no direct reconnection option).
Alright, they are free to change whatever they want about the free version.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-13-2019 09:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing about TeamViewer is obviously that it works across most firewalls and easily bypasses stuff like NAT.

The downside though is that you need to rely on the availability of their servers. Also, security remains something that I classify as doubtful at best. It's also a tool used by many scammers to take over your machine.

I personally still prefer to create a VPN and using protocols like VLC or RDP to connect to remote hosts. Obviously, it costs more work to do this right, but in the end I'm not dependent on some third party, that could end their service any day they please and I'm also getting better security in return.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: