Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » IP Addresses - Christies Solaria One Plus / IMB / Media Block

Author Topic: IP Addresses - Christies Solaria One Plus / IMB / Media Block
Brian Mendelssohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2019 08:31 AM      Profile for Brian Mendelssohn   Email Brian Mendelssohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just rebuilt my network in the entire building. I have all new IP addresses on a new subnet. Then I noticed my projector's IP didn't change. Does anyone know if the projector has a built in router? I've noticed something from Arris?

This might be a good thing, breaking the communication between my devices and projector was a big fear of mine in doing this project.

Any insight will help.
Thanks
Brian
Row House Cinema

|  IP: Logged

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2019 09:37 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, projectors are not given IP address by DHCP, but you have to manually define the address, the subnet mask and the gateway address. Generally, that is a good practice. The same goes for servers and other Digital Cinema equipment.

I have do admit that I don’t quite understand what you are asking.
What is the IP of the projector?
The same that was before you change your local network subnet. It doesn't change automatically.
How to connect to it? Either by the TPC of the Solaria, or by a computer that is in the same subnet mask and is physically (or wirelessly) connected to it.
How to change it? By the network settings of the projector. It usually is not necessary to do the same for the storage network.

If what you are asking is not something regarding those things, please clarify.

Brian Mendelssohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2019 11:11 AM      Profile for Brian Mendelssohn   Email Brian Mendelssohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response Ioannis.

I've changed all of my IP address for my network to be 192.168.33.x. They use to be on a 192.168.1.x system.

The projector, IMB, and media block are 192.168.206.x. They were this before and after I made the change. I'm just surprised they stayed that way, so I guess my question is how those IP addresses are controlled, and will everything work out okay.

Brian

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-31-2019 05:09 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be honest, if you don't know how IP addresses are assigned to your systems, it's not a good plan to fiddle around with the configuration...

Like Ioannis already indicated, projectors, IMSes, etc. are usually not configured through DHCP, but assigned static IP addresses. So, in order to change the IP addresses of your projector, you need to change it in the network configuration of the machine itself.

There is another important factor here...

What's your subnet address? If everything in your network is on 255.255.0.0 for example, everything can still reach each other, if it is on 255.255.255.0 (much more common), then it's not.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-31-2019 06:57 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"projector, IMB, and media block"?
The IMB is the media block, so this is confusing.
All Christie addressing is done through the touchpanel. Do not use DHCP, but there's no indication you did... everything has to be static addresses, since the server has to talk to many other devices and it has to be told what their addresses are. You could use DHCP reservation but it's easier to just assign static addresses.
Once you address the server you have to revise the device addresses - sound processor, automation, etc that it has to talk to. Possibly the Solaria server/IMB/whatever Christie calls it talks to the projector internally and doesn't need its address.
Yes a wide netmask will let them talk but since you need to address them anyway why not get them all on a /24 subnet - or /23 if you have a lot of screens and devices?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: