Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Connect GDC SX-3000 with Nas Iomega

Author Topic: Connect GDC SX-3000 with Nas Iomega
Nguyen Jack
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2019 11:50 PM      Profile for Nguyen Jack   Email Nguyen Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear everyone,

I have changed chstie IMB to GDC SX-3000 with Nas Iomega.
I see sometime the server is lag, pause, out playlist..., it don't working well.
The current IMB sx-3000 connect with Nas by switch and i using cable 6. The Automation is Christie ACT.
I have question with connect between IMB with NAS, May i connect IMB Ethenet port 2 direct with Nas? and installation christie ACT if i using direct connect.
Lasttine when i setup IMB direct with Nas, the IMB don't see storage.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-29-2019 03:20 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not familiar with your setup but make sure your switch is ‘gigabit’ Capable. Also, I don’t see why a direct connection shouldn’t work.
Doesn’t GDC have a list of recommended NAS’ for their systems?

Nguyen Jack
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2019 05:22 AM      Profile for Nguyen Jack   Email Nguyen Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marco,

GDC don't recommended NAS. the document User only said it can use with Nas.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-29-2019 11:08 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that that is a mistake. Nobody can predict what kind of firmware/Software the NAS can run. Bugs could be present/introduced with software upgrades on NAS.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2019 05:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IOmega NAS is end of life and is not recommenced to use. That said I would get rid of the switch and direct connect.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-29-2019 07:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think you can with the SX-3000. Its really set up for eSATA connection only. The external PDP-3000 GDC drive box is hardware raid, and they also have external Enterprise grade servers for content storage as well which require two eSATA connections to an SX-3000.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-29-2019 08:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Mark said. (unusual to agree with him)
The 3000 is designed to work with their RAID box connected via eSATA. Do anything else and results are ... undefined. With the GDC RAID unit, in my experience, the server works very well.

Nguyen Jack
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2019 04:40 AM      Profile for Nguyen Jack   Email Nguyen Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

In User Manual to mention the use NAS but i don't see more guide installation it [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2019 10:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the manual is referring to the GDC NAS storage as is shown in the left side of the image below. It actually works through dual eSATA ports. One advantage of using the SX-3000 is being able to switch out the PDP-3000 RAID enclosure with another one that has different content on it. Reboot the server and it sees it just fine... great for film festivals!! IDK of any other Hardware RAID system that is able to do that...

-

As far as IMB Servers that will work with NAS.... The Christie most certainly does.

Mark

Nguyen Jack
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2019 02:32 AM      Profile for Nguyen Jack   Email Nguyen Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

I will try to do it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: