Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOLBY DSP 100 - OUTPUT RED

Author Topic: DOLBY DSP 100 - OUTPUT RED
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2019 07:26 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELP and ABUSE REQUESTED.... suddenly at showtime my main screen turned RED.. that is black/white/red. I assumed wrongly it was the NEC 1600C-A projector. COLOUR TESTS showed perfectly fine. RED/BLUE/GREEN TEST even the NEC LOGO WHITE TEST was fine.

IN YOUR EDUCATED OPINION which "card" in my recently upgraded DOLBY DSP 100 has failed? AND has this happened to anyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2019 08:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you dont by chance mea pink snow?
if so it is a issue of security
either a bad ethernet cable is there a error showing up on the dolby log
or a gore board failure

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-27-2019 05:25 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a DVI source. It still suspect it's the projector. I doubt there may be an issue with Green and Blue on the server; all colours are packed and encrypted via SDI. They are separated inside the projector.

Red/Green/Blue patterns are generated on the light engine itself - bypassing many boards. The NEC logo is not though. That's why I'm suggesting trying a DVI input to see. I'm not a super NEC expert so others will have other comments for sure.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-27-2019 06:53 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan: As I understand it, you tried another DSP100 with the original DSS100 and the image is OK, which does point blame at the DSP100. I don't know how it can do that but apparently it does.
However I don't know what "cards" are in there, and anyway the unit is obsolete - factory service and parts unavailable.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2019 07:10 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not in 3D mode is it?

HD/SDI ports not reversed?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2019 11:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 2D/3D mismatch would get you a pink image one way and a green image the other. Make sure the DSP100 is set to 2D in Show Manager (Control Screen).

It is possible it is the DSP100 and it could also be possible it is just one of the SDI outputs...in which case it is possible to work around that by putting the DSP100 into 3D mode and tell the NEC projector to just look at the good output and change the color space to work with the 4:2:2 input (MXFI, if you have that PCF).

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used that very trick to get me partially out of trouble, it was one side of the HD/SDI input had failed rather than the server output. Same difference though.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-27-2019 09:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be a handy too to keep around. I've had a bad cable (not made by me) cause a theatre to lose image...that "trick" was far faster than repairing the cable.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2019 02:50 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS ALL.... The problem isn't the NEC Projector / nor were the BNC cables reversed / nor a bad Cat5 cable...

I had a backup server and just swapped the DSP100 (same software) and everything was fine. New keys and we're back in business.

But I want to fix the issue...it's somewhere in the old DOLBY DSP100... but "card / board" is bad. Swapping & Testing now with NO pressure.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-28-2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is very little one can do in a DSP100 that won't kill it altogether. It is designed to commit suicide if it is tampered with (like most every other mediablock). You can change the fans and very little else in there (and they use security screws to hold it together).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-28-2019 02:37 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One should still swap the 'bad' server back at some time to see if the issue reoccurs. Sometimes a server swap solves an issue without the server being the issue.

- Carsten

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2019 03:53 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
One should still swap the 'bad' server back at some time to see if the issue reoccurs. Sometimes a server swap solves an issue without the server being the issue.
Particularly in the case of a flaky or oxidized connection; just the act of moving cables around and plugging/unplugging connectors may solve the issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: