Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation Device

Author Topic: Automation Device
Mohammed Serhan
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Mohammed Serhan   Author's Homepage   Email Mohammed Serhan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Christie projector (CP2220 & CP2210 & CP2208) with MOVING IMAGE TECHNOLOGIES M-Series lighting dimmers and The automation controller is missing. I was wondering if I can use a simple relay module (Cheap solutions) connected to the GPIO on the projector (the cue from the douser or the lamp). I made the test and I tried to measure the output signal from the GPIO PIN (4,5,6,7) but I get no signal on the DMM.

Any suggestions or solutions?

I don't want to buy a christie ATC or Junior automation.
note: 2 of the connected to Christie IMB and on of them to Dolby DSS200.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-19-2019 10:37 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While in general, I am easily thrilled for D.I.Y. stuff, in this case I would not go this route. While some projector GPIOs could be used to control external stuff, it is typically more complicated than using server-side GPIOs. Typically, there is also no means to control projector GPIOs arbitrarily, only when calling projector presets, and that is not a smart way of doing it for e.g. house lights. The CP2208 e.g. does not even have a general GPIO port, and the 3D port is more or less limited for 3D use. I don't know your screen and booth arrangement, but I think you should be able to control all auditoriums with a single JNIOR, and that is what I would suggest to buy. The JNIOR can be controlled by both the Christie IMB and the DSS200, plus, you can also control it freely from a laptop or smartphone (or button interface), even if no projector is powered. While a bit more pricey than a simple relay board, it offers much more functionality and failsafe of operation. Maybe you can buy a second hand one on ebay?

Note the DSS200 has GPIOs than can be used the way you intend, but that would be limited to a single screen then.

- Carsten

Mohammed Serhan
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2019 02:11 PM      Profile for Mohammed Serhan   Author's Homepage   Email Mohammed Serhan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never tried to use the GPIO from the DSS200 and actually I don't know the pin configuration so I can use them if you have a sheet please let me know. and I can't use one junior as the control rooms are separated and there's a far distance between them.

for the cp2208 its not easy as its the old one without gpio.9

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the DSS200 manual, but that is perhaps hard to find in Ramallah.
Here is a picture of it.
 -

/M.E.

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 08:17 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mohammed, if you do scrounge a JNIOR get a Series 4 (410 or 412) as opposed to the Series 3 (310 or 312). The latter is out of production and while we still support those we don't recommend them for new installations. We just aren't as proficient with them ourselves. The technology in the Series 4 is so much better and easier to work with.

There is no bigger fan of DIY than myself. It can be very gratifying. But consider that someone in the future (that might not be you) might have to support the unique thing that you create. The JNIOR is not that pricey when you consider your time and everything else.

If you do go with a JNIOR we will be here to help. We also have a few refurbished Series 4 JNIORs here that we could let go at a percentage. You can always just call and inquire to see what is available.

Mohammed Serhan
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 03:21 PM      Profile for Mohammed Serhan   Author's Homepage   Email Mohammed Serhan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have 3 different cases that I need automation for (CP2208 with Christie IMB no GPIO, CP2220 with Dolby DSS200 Projector/Server GPIO and, server serial and CP2210 With Christie IMB) Jnior support all these cases? and Why I can't get a 5Vdc while measuring The output from the GPO pin?
Please send me a quotation and are you sure that you can deliver to my place?

Many thanks

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit different for different servers but yes.
The Christie IMB can use network control of the Jnior. I'm not sure how easy they make it but it is possible.
Technically, current DSS200 versions can as well - originally Dolby only allowed network control of Dolby devices but at some version added a way to use network control of other devices. It is not at all convenient, though: I would still use serial control of a Jnior from a DSS.

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a sales type of guy. We pretty much can handle any combination of equipment considering that versions of JNIORs have been going out globally for 15+ years and I've not heard of something we can't do. Well, we don't process audio or video. But on the automation side we should be good. The guys here might back me up on that.

You can just send a note to sales[at]integpg.com, call us on the phone, or even chat via our website and someone will be happy to help you out. Amy is the expert on shipping. Our website has a shopify cart.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 05:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie IMB offers a JNIOR driver, so, it is as easy to use as with a Doremi or ICMP. There's a section on it in the IMB-S2 manual.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: