Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Why is the GDC UI so slow on ingest?

Author Topic: Why is the GDC UI so slow on ingest?
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-14-2019 10:26 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first got my GDC SA-2001A it seemed reasonably responsive when ingesting files, but after a few firmware updates it really slowed down.

Now I just (today) got a shiny new SR-1000 and I'm loading what I want off of this week's trailer drive. That's quite a bit of data, but after I selected the trailers that I wanted and hit the ingest button it spent almost two hours doing nothing obvious before it started actually copying files. (Right now it's up to J so it'll probably be several hours yet.)

How hard can it be to populate an array with a bunch of file names? I thought this shiny new server would snap it up a bit on the ingest, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometings Wong! Assuming you are not using USB to ingest and that you have the latest Build installed, then something is very wong. I have a customer that has three of them and he loves his. He can either ingest locally or from his TMS

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we went to the media block server, it takes much longer to "open" a trailer drive - maybe a minute or so, but the actual copying is the same speed as usual. Must be some sort of issue, Frank. I would check those ingested files to make sure they're good too.

Maybe you have a trailer drive that's bad somehow?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-15-2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has to do with the number of files. As you say, it takes a long time between "open" and actually showing the list of trailers on the drive. Ingesting one or two or three trailers seems about the same as it was before, but ingesting 80% of what's on the whole trailer drive (when loading up a new server) takes forever. I selected everything that I wanted on the trailer drive then clicked Ingest and it took about two hours before it actually started copying files, then when it got about halfway through the list it just stopped copying and the UI returned like it had finished the job. I re-selected the other half of the trailers on the drive and left it for another hour or two and it was done when I returned.

The whole experience of working with the trailer drive seems very sluggish. Once it starts actually doing something (copying a file) it gets there reasonably quickly, but it takes a mighty long time to decide to start working.

My other two issues with this server (so far since I haven't really used it for much yet) are:

1. The text entry window for the offsets for cues in the playlist is too small and difficult to use. On Firefox at least, the text entry window is smaller than the text field that goes into it so it scrolls off on either side and the only way to verify that you got the right numbers entered for the time is to add the cue and check what it says on the list. And since the numbers entered seem to insert by default it's difficult to fix an incorrectly entered number. The spin box was better on the old server UI since you could actually read it and see what it said before adding the cue.

2. The whole UI is too tall. On a standard size laptop, I have to scroll down to see the bottom of the window on almost every screen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2019 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could have any wish on the servers:

I would like to be able to select a range of things to delete.

I would like there to be a tiny video window so you could test the content without having to fire up the projector.

Most of all I wish the silly thing was smart enough to "parse" the filenames and put it all into a nice-looking spreadsheet-type format so you could just glance and pick what you want without having to decipher the cryptic filenames.

I could probably come up with a few more things too, as could we all, I imagine.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-15-2019 02:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This new GUI allows you to filter by text, so you could select, say "spider" and then delete everything Spiderman or whatever.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2019 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be faster transfering from a satellite download server like the one DCDC provides, its also a lot cheaper too. But my customer in Wyoming doesn't have that. I know the DCDC catch server automatically deltes old crap too.

Mark

Arnold Chase
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2019 07:00 PM      Profile for Arnold Chase   Email Arnold Chase   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar ingest problem trying to copy an entire trailmix drive when I first got my GDC. As it turned out, there is a limit as to how many CPL's you can copy at one time (about 30 as I recall). At some point you should have gotten an error message, but strangely not during the selection process!

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2019 10:09 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think in this age of computers they could get better performance out of these. Probably could but then it would be way more expensive. Not sure though. Just seems like its a matter of higher performing hardware and/or bandwidth of ingest speed?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-16-2019 06:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should have put something faster on the SR-1000 than a Raspeberry PI.

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=003086#000000

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 11:36 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, it is a custom pi.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 02:19 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it will also depend on how they handle the priorities between the different processes.

While in Windows, the main UI thread always gets the absolute maximum number of resources, in Linux, this isn't always the case. That's also, why under Windows, you will almost never witness a hanging mouse cursor, while under Linux, this can be quite common.

If GDC decided to give the maximum prio to the ingest process, then all that remains for the UI is whatever is not being used by the ingest process. That can result in a very sluggish user experience.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-17-2019 03:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those Pi's and it is actually pretty fast. It can run W-7 just fine. On a server its hard to say, but I have not had any reports of it being slow from my customer. Now, GDC servers ARE SLOW if you are playing back and ingesting at the same time. But all servers do this as playback takes priority. They still ingest, but at about 1/10th the normal speed. Also, opening a 2 TB trailer drive takes a while in almost any server. I really hate those YUGE trailer drives.

Also, be darn sure you are on SP-1000 Build 69!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-17-2019 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby DSS line could ingest at full speed while showing a movie and never glitch. The IMS3000 has significantly increased their ingest speed while showing a movie.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I remember the Dolby ingested much faster after Version 4.0.3.234.567.021.75643.00467 After which is made full use of the now obsolete RAID card. Its still a good raid card though! I have a very similar one in my Desktop! GDC is the only other company I know of to make use of Hardware RAID.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: