Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » what happened here? barco lamp 6500w

Author Topic: what happened here? barco lamp 6500w
Ivan Franco
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 03:12 PM      Profile for Ivan Franco   Email Ivan Franco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is just my first post, yesterday one of my buddies just call me to said the lamp of one barco projector just turned off, at the moment he take out the lamp house to check it out he found the lamp like this

-
 -

it should be mentioned the lamp was 348 hrs in run time

-

pd: excuse me bad english haha

|  IP: Logged

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No gas anymore. You are actually lucky it did not explode...

Rare but it happens...

Ivan Franco
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 03:43 PM      Profile for Ivan Franco   Email Ivan Franco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could that be possible?

this has never happened to me before, is the first time

[Confused]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-13-2019 05:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 6.5kW OSRAM at 348 hrs. What do you expect?

Buy USHIO in the future.

- Carsten

Juan Jose Vazquez
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 06:09 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Vazquez   Email Juan Jose Vazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had bad experiences with osram bulbs of that power. the last time I used those lights he just stopped lighting even though he looked like new. since then I use philips Bulbs.

PD: The lamp installed if it is XBO 6500W DHP XL OFR??

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-13-2019 06:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it looks like the xenon inside the lamp leaked out, I'd handle the thing with care.

Check the warranty on your lamp, it will probably be 500 or 600 hours, so you can file a claim with OSRAM and get a new bulb from them.

We switched from OSRAM to Ushio (the parent company of Christie), even though Barco's preferred partner is OSRAM, the experience with Ushio has generally been more consistent.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2019 07:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ivan Franco
How could that be possible?

this has never happened to me before, is the first time

One of the seals at the end(s) of the lamp have lost integrity and xenon gas has leaked out or air has leaked in or both.

If oxygen gets inside the lamp, the heat will make it react with the metals inside and create that smoky appearance all throughout.

This is a common mode of failure for high wattage xenon lamps.

If the lamp is still within its warranty period, carefully package it back up, fill out the warranty form that should have come inside the original carton and contact the manufacturer.

Save the failed lamp in case the manufacturer wants to inspect it. Sometimes, they want you to ship it back to them. Sometimes they just say, "Ok." I've had it happen both ways. But, in either case, you have to do exactly what the manufacturer asks in order to get credit for the warranty.

They will either credit you a portion of the price of a new lamp or they will send you a new lamp for free. It depends on the terms of the warranty. Usually it's a free lamp up to a certain number of hours then a percentage credit after that, up to the limit of the warranty, in which case you get nothing.

I agree with the others. Osram quality is fair-to-middling. Better to buy Ushio next time.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 08:15 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it happened to me long time ago.
Be happy it doesnt blow your reflector.

Mike Moreno
Mexico

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-13-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
If the lamp is still within its warranty period, carefully package it back up, fill out the warranty form that should have come inside the original carton and contact the manufacturer.
Actually, you might be better off contacting the dealer from whom you bought the bulb. I don't know if Osram will accept returns directly, but we certainly handle customer returns in situations like this. Assuming it wasn't a bad bulb that was actually taken out by an MiT tech as part of a service contract (in which case we'll note all the information and handle the returns process directly), we ask the customer for the information that the bulb manufacturer requires, and then handle things from there.

Incidentally, I've noticed an uptick in premature Ushio failures recently - three since Christmas, including one over this last weekend, and an infant mortality (bulb refused to strike after about 60 hours). All of them affected 6kW or 6.5kW bulbs, but only one was smoked up.

That having been said, Ushio certainly deserve kudos for the bulb at a post house I recently replaced that had done 8,234 hours (warranty was to 2,400)! Staff turnover resulted in no-one paying attention to maintaining the projector for almost four years. They only called us in when it started to flicker to the point of being distracting. It was a 1.2kW bulb that was running close to its minimum current, so that helped it, but even so, going to well over three times warranty hours without smoking up or blowing up was quite impressive. It didn't look that bad when I took it out, either - a bit of anode pitting, but I've seen worse in bulbs that have done a quarter of the hours.

As for Osram, I haven't installed or used their digital bulbs in significant quantities. My experience of them in the film days is that their smaller ones were perfectly OK (1.6es and 2s), but that the bigger ones were a crap shoot.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2019 09:36 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thats incredible Leo.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-14-2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about their policy in Mexico, but here in Europe, you can file warranty claims directly with OSRAM. Obviously, if you've got a service tech or even service contract covering lamp warranty cases, it's less hassle to do it that way.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2019 07:39 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
over 8000 hours!! that is truly outstanding, i used to get nervous when the hours started to get near the expiry time,although i only had 2 explode in 20yrs, its something im sure you will all agree,never leaves you.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-14-2019 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I took ownership of my screening room, the bulbs in the Super Lumexs were 1600W Osrams running around 1000W and they had something like 7K hours on them. There was a reason that I have long forgotten why they didn't run 1Ks and ordinarily that results in flicker if you can't raise the current sufficiently; these were on 1K Kneisley rectifiers back then. But they were still fine. I replaced them with more Osrams (2 pair came with the place) and later on started buying bulbs on eBay. Not something I would chance with digital given the high cost of unwarranted failure but in the film days I did it a few times.

On digital I went with a 2K Osram film bulb. Thinking the warranty was 2000 hrs (it's 2400) I pulled the first at about 1950 hours to keep as a usable spare.

Bulb 2, also an Osram 2K film bulb, started flickering and I pulled it at just 1976 hrs. So much for the people who invented the xenon arc bulb. I went back to the prior bulb for a bit and after some discussion here went with an Ushio 2K film bulb. So far so good <knock wood>.

Here is the flickery Osram. I hope that cloud is not indicative of anything like overcooling. Projector is an NEC1200C.

-

Helmut Maripuu
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2019 09:46 AM      Profile for Helmut Maripuu   Email Helmut Maripuu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happened to me several times on 2000 wats bulbs after 600 hours. Adjust the mirror. Believe that the light from the mirror strikes the plus metal that overheats and the glass bursts around the metal pin.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-14-2019 08:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Actually, you might be better off contacting the dealer from whom you bought the bulb.
Yes, you are right. It's probably better to call the dealer.

I was trying to be brief and assumed that {"dealer", "manufacturer"} was understood. My bad! [Wink]

I was, once, called to a theater to look at a projector that had a dim picture and found this xenon lamp inside the lamphouse:

-

My best guess was that it was the original lamp from when the projector was installed. There were over 6,500 hours on the meter when I took it out.

-

Up, until Leo's 8,200 hr. lamp, this is the most over-used lamp I had ever seen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: