Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC server and JSD60. Want to play a pre-recorded announcement as credit roll

Author Topic: GDC server and JSD60. Want to play a pre-recorded announcement as credit roll
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 04:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our drive-in, we would like to automate some announcements. In most cases I realize it's easy to just insert the clip into the playlist. However, when we make an announcement at intermission, we want to be able to do so just as it goes to credits, rather than waiting until the credits are over. I'm wondering if there is a way to either pause the movie and play an alternate clip, or mute the audio and cue an audio clip to play.

I realize switching to the non-sync format is as simple as adding an automation cue, but I want to be able to start a clip at the beginning rather than come in at some random point of a looped audio.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 05:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to play audio while a DCP is still playing, you can only do that using a separate audio player and switching sources on the audio processor. You could use a server cue to start playing the audio (similar to lights or curtain cues).

Some servers offer an intermission function that is able to play a CPL or SPL during intermission, but it is strictly consecutive only - first CPL stop, intermission play, CPL play.

There are a number of audio players available that can be controlled by external control switches or RS232 in a jukebox style.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 06:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a bit irrelevant to the technical thread but... As a customer, I wouldn't like the soundtrack of the credits being cut for an announcement to be honest.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 08:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, while I can certainly appreciate that, in a drive-in environment we have people getting in cars and starting to pull out as soon as credits hit the screen, so we really do need to make some announcements right away. It's as much of a safety issue as trying tell people how late the snack bar is open. Typically we do wait until the credit role starts and we are mindful of 'credit cookies'.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 10:56 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drive-ins I work on all have basically zero automation. Yes, they will have a playlist, with assorted trailers and concession clips (dancing drinks?) but no automation of devices other than the projector.
Generally they have a downmix from 5.1 to stereo: some use the Odyssey box, some have other solutions. That goes to a mixer that also gets nonsync (CD player usually) and a microphone, feeding the transmitter. Someone manually starts the show: fades out the music, maybe makes an announcement, and starts the playlist.
You could put together something that uses the server GPO to start a sound clip playing. Never having done that I can't tell you exactly how but there are digital sound players (like the nanoplayer) that can easily be remote controlled: museums use them to play sound effects or other audio clips on some trigger... ie you enter a store, break a light beam, and a recording welcomes you.
This could be done easily with a Raspberry Pi. Easily for someone who knows how that is, not me.
Server GPO events can be put anywhere in a CPL.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-06-2019 04:52 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, I missed the "drive-in" variable from the equation!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: