Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP500 for subrun?

Author Topic: Dolby CP500 for subrun?
Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2019 09:43 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a bunch of working CP 500's at an auction. Can I use them for second hand equipment for a subrun theatre? What would it need to work?

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2019 11:10 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First you should delete the duplicate thread.

Are you planning on using these for digital cinema? If so you will need a six channel Digital to Analog converter as there is no provision for a digital input natively. While they can do if properly equipped Dolby SRD Digital from film that is actually a video signal from the SRD reader.

If you plan is to run film then just hook up the optical and SRD if so equipped and do your A chain. Connect the output to your amps and speaker and do your B chain. You will have to do that last part for D cinema as well.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 01:35 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the Digital to Analog converter, you'll have to be sure that the CP500s have the Cat.685 (optional) board installed.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 04:27 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my humble opinion, the CP-500 is a particular bad choice for digital cinema, especially for new setups.

You need an external DAC and the Cat 685. So, you're essentially going from Digital to Analog to Digital back to Analog. Also, you can't do proper 7.1.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 07:50 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will work, if you have a d-a and cat685 for each screen.
Cost those out if you don't have them, though. Probably a Dolby CP750 or USL JSD-60 will be comparably priced and considerably superior.
Tuning a room with a 500 via the panel is tedious compared to a new processor via its network gui. The CP500 LCD panels go bad and are not made now. No parts or service from Dolby. It was a beaut when released but is now obsolete.
If you do want to use them, remove the analog preamp board and all the circuit boards for SR-D... all useless for digital cinema and just stressing the power supply if left in. Then look at what's left - a nearly empty box with dodgy display panel, clunky interface, no warranty, parts unavailable...

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with all the critics of the 500. The main problem area is the LCD panel which essentially junks the unit.

I carry parts for the CP500, used but reliable if you are determined to use it. I would assume at least a couple of the 500's you purchased have good front panels. The Cat. 685 is the next issue and take a look and see if you have any among them.

I only mention this as you already own the 500's. Otherwise I would not bother.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 08:49 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do have the Cat 685 cards in them. I didn't pay much for them, and I have enough to do a full backup. What's the DAC you mentioned please?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 09:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Dolby DMA 8+. The USL ECI 6 will also work. They both offer SPIDF and Tosslink connections as well as a 6 channel (8 in the case of the DMA 8+) AES and a 6 or 8 depending analog pass through. Not a fan of the Doremi DtoA.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2019 12:33 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) that converts the AES/EBU signal coming from the server to analog, so that CP500 or other audio processors that don't support the function to be used for -say- digital cinema.
There are quite a few companies that provide or have provided such DACs. From the top of my mind:
Dolby DMA8+, Dolby/Doremi AUD-D2A, USL DAX-602 or 802, Proyecson P-DAC11, XDC CineStore Dian or Audi etc.
Unfortunately, some of them are now obsolete, not due to their capabilities, but due to their unavailability, their reaching their end-of-life if you prefer.
And that is understandable, at a time when audio processors that do support AES/EBU input started to get "retired".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: