Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC server firmware update (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: GDC server firmware update
Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.. I just received the following response from GDC after I made enquiries for a firmware update for my GDS SA 2100A..

7.83 is quite an old software version that was deprecated in 2012 and upgrading it to a current release is advisable, as we can offer only limited technical support in case of any issues if the server is on such an outdated release.

However, to update the server to the DCI compliant 8.01 release, which also adds support for SMPTE packaged content, the projector must be fully DCI compliant. This means the projector must have the Gore board or equivalent security upgrade installed and must be running a DCI compliant software release. If in doubt, please confirm this with your installer or projector manufacturer.

I actually installed my Projector the help of a tech friend who doesn't live anywhere around me and I am not sure of my Projector fits into this description.. it's a barco dp2000 and we are playing Avengers Endgame at the moment..

Any thing to look out for?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2019 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have to check on the projector some how. A DP-2000 might have a Gore Board in it. If it does not, I am not sure you can even get them any longer. That stuff was done a long time ago in the digital world.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-02-2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the GDC software actually check if the GORE board is present or not?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 11:45 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need to buy the software warranty from GDC (still available at least here in the US) so that you can get the serverID script which is part of the 7 to 8 upgrade process.

You will also need to make sure your server has a working NTP source and the correct time before upgrading, the time will drift and you will need more GDC support if it drifts too far after the update.

As far as the projector I think you can get away with Type 4 or higher of the TI interface card (I have seen type 4 work in a series one Christie projector, never tried on the Barco), Type 3 or below will not work with version 8 of the GDC software

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2019 11:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Does the GDC software actually check if the GORE board is present or not?

No, how could it? The Gore board is well after the interface module in a Series 1. Can't think of a server that actually looks at whats in the projector.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gore board is the interface board and has its own IP address in series 1 projectors. The SM in the server talks directly to the interface (gore) board via the TI head IP.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2019 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you are correct! I have not had to endure a series 1 since 2010!

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's tricky as you can indeed find out what kind of TI board the projector houses but the final and safe way to find out is to check whether the server can establish a TLS connection BEFORE you actually upgrade the server. On a Dolby you can do that while still on non-DCI software - so you can revert back before it's too late. On a Doremi there is a mention in the logs whether the projector is TLS capable or not.
I would hope that GDC have a similar way to find out or it may be a bit dangerous - usually the DCI upgrade is "one way only".

Also remember that series 1 TI boards may end up refusing to connect via TLS for a "lost certificate" issue. There is a procedure from Barco to fix this issue (if it applies to you). Another good reason to make sure you can use TLS before you update.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 04:45 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you 'just' connect Dcinema Toolset aka 'Communicator for series 1' and check firmware versions?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-04-2019 06:55 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest TI firmware doesn’t allow for TLS if the board doesn’t support it. And I’ve encountered/heard some supposed-to-work TI boards which wouldn’t connect using TLS no matter what. That’s why the best course of action is to try TLS before upgrading.

That is assuming that GDC DCI update is a ‘one way’ only as for everybody else. If not, then it’s not a big deal - even though I suspect that downgrading may not be that easy!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2019 07:39 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell what type number the board is with the TI control program for series 1 projectors.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 07:55 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DC toolset is very different from Communicator. I don't know that DC toolset is even supported, Communicator has evolved to take over the functions of toolset.
The TI interface board type is shown in Communicator in diagnostics/actual, detailed status. If you see "security enclosure installed Yes" then you have the "gore" board and all is well (unless it's damaged or has a dead battery).
A Seies-1S Type 4 should work (no security enclosure) but needs to be tested to confirm, and certificate recovery may be required.
Type 3? No good.
Yes the gore boards are available, at least they were recently. Be sitting when you hear the price.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 06:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still would be cautious even though the Communicator reports a Gore board. I would ask GDC if they have a feature to check TLS as all the other manufacturers. If you upgrade and you can't connect for whatever reason, it's not a nice thing.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-05-2019 06:15 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a roundup.

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001506#000011

Again, a qualified tech may be necessary if e.g. a certificate recovery needs to be performed. Barco has manuals on the procedures. One would probably also update the T.I. software to the latest version to enable SMPTE subtitle capability (15.1.)

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2019 06:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you update it and it does not work, it's easy to roll it back to the previous software version in just a few minutes.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: