Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DP2K-6E - no picture - stuck in color calibration - need help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DP2K-6E - no picture - stuck in color calibration - need help
Peer Tritz
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Peer Tritz   Email Peer Tritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have sold a client a Barco DP2K-6E with ICMP. Everything was working when I left, the client works in post production and only required the projector for DCI colour grading.

So I gave them access to the service technician and left them too it.

the end client was going through the colour calibration process they got to spatial color calibration, loaded some values, created a scc file and somewhere along the lines broke off the process....

Im not an expert at reading the logs... however the projector now will not give out any picture what so ever, no test pasterns, no alternative content, just a black picture. The self diagnostic revealed everything is ok. Resetting the ICMP hasn't fixed it. At the moment the only way to get a picture out of the projector is by clicking on the spatial color calibration button, which will show the SDI A input... Myself and the client forgot to make factory clones of the projector settings. How can I quickly factory reset all the control settings? what steps can I take?

Best regards
Peer

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-29-2019 11:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access to the my.barco site, in the support>documents section, you can get the base-clone files

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-29-2019 03:59 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan just had a possibly related issue with a 10S over the weekend. Looked like an ICMP issue that would not clear. He worked with staff who followed all his instructions to no success, Turned out when he showed up on site, the projector had been put into 3D mode, a format they don't use. The was a line missing on the 2D macros to yank it back to 2D so a reboot would just put it back into the last mode used, 3D.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-29-2019 05:51 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the LUT-SCC file is corrupted, which could explain why the projector refuses to operate like expected.

Like Steve mentioned, you can download the base files from the my.barco site. If you don't have access to that site, ask your Barco reseller or service tech if they can get you those files.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-29-2019 07:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The factory-created SCC file can be retrieved from Barco by using the light-engine serial number. That SCC file is not part of the clone files, as it is light-engine specific. There is a section in the service manual about this procedure.

I would restore that SCC file, restore the original base-clone files, then do a full backup as a starting point for the client. They should not mess with the SCC calibration in my opinion.

However, the SCC file/calibration process is not necessarily the issue with the black picture. I have seen similar things when I played with partial macros on our DP2K-6E. They should try different factory set full macros in Communicator to see wether one of them reestablishes a picture. If for some reason they did a clean sweep, they should again reinstall the current clone package. The base clone file contains a range of input options that may not be present/working on a specific projector (depending on the board set). Make sure they use the ones for the ICMP. MyBarco has different base clone file sets for ICMP and Enigma/ICP boardsets in the DP2K-6E section.

- Carsten

Peer Tritz
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2019 03:23 AM      Profile for Peer Tritz   Email Peer Tritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you very much for you help. Turned out all it needed was to repeat the steps from the client and then the communicator crashed... the crash restored all normal functions, go figure.

thanks again.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Communicator for DCTP is really buggy and crashes regularly, sometimes quite predictable: delete a file and then close file manager, for example... too many new features stuffed into it to over the years?
The PC version is more reliable but also crashes occasionally.
I'm surprised that what you describe fixed the problem, but there are many mysteries in the projector.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 10:52 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For their "Series 4", they're moving to a web-only based Communicator environment. Let's see if they backport this for the Series 2/3 and what happens to the DCTP. I guess it would be a somewhat wise decision, in order to only to have to maintain a singular code-base. You still would need something to set the initial IP configuration, but that could be handled by a much less complex program than the Communicator.

quote: Carsten Kurz
The factory-created SCC file can be retrieved from Barco by using the light-engine serial number. That SCC file is not part of the clone files, as it is light-engine specific.
Yes, that's true, but I was under the impression there was a "vanilla" SCC file in the base-clone files, but I can be wrong.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 11:45 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the base clone file contains a "default" scc file where there is no correction.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2019 12:22 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using a DP2K-6E for color grading!?
Holy cow...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 02:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my customers uses a DP-1500 with 70,000 or so hours on the clock for color grading with a Da Vinci Resolve system, and finds it to be perfectly OK for that purpose. The color calibration has to be done frequently, but apart from that they're happy with it. In fact, they are one of only two regular service customers we have left still running Series 1 Barcos.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 03:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DP1500 is not optimal either but still better than a 6E!

I'd say from best to worst in terms of colour grading you can consider (non-laser projectors)

P-series
B-Series
C-Series/DP1xxx
S-series
E-Series

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using a DP4K-23B on a "screening room sized" screen.

I'm aware of the "P" series, which sells at double the price, but as long as we keep our 23B fully calibrated, it's more than sufficient. We also need to be able to screen 4K content, hence the 4K machine.

I'm currently looking at the Barco "Series 4" projectors as a possible upgrade path, but I'm not sure how good a 3P machine is for color grading purposes.

I don't think any member here can judge if the DP2K-6E in this story is being used correctly. It might not be the best machine for color grading, also due to the usage of UHP lamps, but without further knowledge of the use of this thing, we might be too judgemental.

If it's being used by some indie producer, who didn't even have access to properly calibrated DCI gear until now, even this DP2K-6E is a big step-up. At least they now also have a proper platform to test if their DCPs will actually ingest on a normal DCI machine. [Razz]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 05:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it's better to grade with a 6E than with a home theatre projector. But DCI rules for post production are clear on contrast ratio and gamut so I wouldn't use the words "it's more than sufficient".

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-30-2019 05:34 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't see me using the words "more than sufficient" in combination with the DP2K-6E and DCI color grading. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: