Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS100 Show Manger Software upgrade to 4.8 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS100 Show Manger Software upgrade to 4.8
Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a computer service tech in a small town and I am helping the local movie theater test their readiness for the SMTPE. We need to upgrade from the current Show Manager 4.0 to 4.8 to be able to transition to SMTPE, but I do not know where to get the upgrade software, or if we need to upgrade in increments like 4.3. Any help is very much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-15-2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DSS100 (DSP100) tops out at 4.7 and cannot and will never go above 4.7

4.7.8.7 is the most current and should work with SMPTE content.

As for obtaining software, you'd need to speak with a Dolby dealer to obtain the software as well as the license needed to perform the upgrade (you'll need the DSP100's serial number as that is what will require the license).

Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2019 12:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure where to even start. Thank you very much.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2019 01:39 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We (the company I work for) can supply the license for 4.7 (assuming that Dolby will still issue them for the 100 - I've upgraded lots of 200s and 220s recently, but the last time I did a 100 was in January 2018). If you are interested, please give Jim Stewart a call on 714-751-7998, ext. 228.

Although the actual KDM is for the DSP100, Dolby may need the serial from the DSS as well. When we buy upgrade licenses for DSS servers, they tend to ask for the serial of the server chassis as well as the media block.

Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2019 03:14 PM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is very good to know. I will contact Dolby first and keep you all informed on my progress. Thanks for all the help.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2019 06:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - we both missed one of your queries. I'm 99.9% sure that you can upgrade from 4.0 to 4.7 in one fell swoop. The software comes in the form of an ISO image that you burn to a CD or USB stick, and then boot from. This overwrites the operating system partition on the DSS's RAID and starts over. When the server reboots with the new software, it will then update the media block (in your case, the DSP100) if it can find a KDM that lets it do so. The easiest way is to put the KDM on a USB flash drive, and insert that into the front panel jack during the boot sequence after the installation is done.

I've upgraded 4.3 to 4.7 in a single step many times without any problems, though I haven't encountered a DSS on a version as far back as 4.0.

There is, however, one important gotcha. Your projector has to be able to support TLS link encryption in order for it to run 4.7. Versions earlier than 4.4 (known as pre-DCI versions) can use a less secure form of link encryption (encryption of the image data as it passes through the dual HD-SDI wires between the media block and the projector) called DH. Some very early Series 1 projectors only support DH, and will not work with TLS. There aren't many still around, but there are some.

The gotcha is that for most media blocks, once you've upgraded a media block from a pre-DCI firmware version to a DCI-compliant version (in this case, 4.4 or later), you can't downgrade it again: the upgrade is a one-way ticket. I've heard claims that the DSP100 is an exception to that general rule and that actually it can be downgraded, but even if that's true, you would need a KDM from Dolby to revert it to a pre-DCI version, and there is no guarantee that they would agree to issue one if you upgraded your DSP100 to 4.7 and then found that it will no longer work with your projector.

To find out if your projector is compliant or not, press ctrl+alt_F1 on your server, and then login with a username and password that you would need to obtain from Dolby (cinemasupport [at] dolby.com) - per the rule on this site, I can't post them. Then enter the following commands:

cd scripts
./linkencrypt.sh TLS
reboot

After the server has rebooted, if you can play DCPs, you are good to do the upgrade. However, if you get "Error securing connection between media block and projector" in the control tab of the GUI, you cannot upgrade the server beyond 4.3. If this is the case, then with some cases there is a procedure (TLS certificate recovery) that can be done to enable TLS at the projector's end, but you really need a tech trained by the projector manufacturer to do this.

If you need to, you can revert your DSS back to DH link encryption with:

cd scripts
./linkencrypt.sh DH
reboot

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-15-2019 06:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves it's

cd Scripts
(capital S - Linux is case sensitive)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2019 06:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - writing in haste

Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2019 10:08 AM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I will check to make sure the projector is ready before I start this upgrade process. Thank you for the heads up.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-16-2019 03:56 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the DSP100 is one of the few media blocks that can be reverted to a non-DCI version. But check with Dolby and confirm if that's a concern.
I've had DSS/DSP100 systems that refused to do the DSP upgrade automatically after DSS upgrade, I use the Dolby Software Update program to do it via USB when that occurs.
Note that the DCI and TLS problem only happens with series 1 projectors, and only with certain older type TI interface boards. You can check the board type in most projectors through the control software, you didn't say what projector this is with though. If it is series 2 you have no worries.
I got KDMs for 4.7.8.7 on a DSS/DSP100 two weeks back so Dolby does still provide them.

Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2019 04:26 PM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I will check to make sure the projector is ready before I start this upgrade process. Thank you for the heads up.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2019 09:10 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
If memory serves it's

cd Scripts
(capital S - Linux is case sensitive)

I don't recall if I have ever logged in as administrator in a DSS100.
It might be differently spelled on different types of server (even though it ought not to, since they were using the same software).
On a DSS200, it is "scripts".

-

I think that if you type linkencrypt.sh without any options, you will get in return the options you can use.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-17-2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FTP the remote upgrade package into the server and drop in the root directory.

Open PuTTy via SSH connection.

Bold is what you type. Replace PASSWORD with the actual password and replace FILENAME with the actual name of the remote upgrade file.

administrator
PASSWORD
cd scripts
ls
./listUpgradePackages.sh

(The upgrade files you have loaded will show if they are licensed or not. If not you need to obtain the key from Dolby and FTP that in as well. Assuming the upgrade file you want to upgrade to is displayed with "LICENSED" you can proceed further.)
./executeUpgradePackage.sh localhost FILENAME.dlb MainStore

The server will take 30-45 minutes to upgrade. Be patient. Once it nears the end, you can look at the GUI to see how much more it has to go.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-17-2019 03:32 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I was wrong after all - sorry!

Jesse Clifford
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 10:41 AM      Profile for Jesse Clifford   Email Jesse Clifford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after a bunch of calls to manufacturers and techs it seems as though the projector (Barco DP2000) will not be compatible due to the fact that it is a series 1 projector. I am at a loss of what my next step can be. Like I said, this is a small town theater and they had just got this used 4 years ago and I know they do not have the money to purchase a new projector. Any help is very much appreciated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: