Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Preferred screen brightness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Preferred screen brightness
Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2019 11:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know 14fL is spec, but I'm curious what brightness each of you think looks best.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2019 12:42 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the studio mastered it for playback at 14 fL (48 cd/m^2), supposedly that would look best. Lower levels can cause darker scenes or portions of scenes to become invisible. Higher levels can make flicker more visible. Both higher and lower can affect the perceived color.

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2019 04:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+1 on that.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-05-2019 05:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+1 too with a *

* - as long as 14fL is measured on an AVERAGE on screen. I found that on a high gain screen a centre value of around 23fL gives an average of 14fL (measured on 9 positions).
Way too many times just the hotspot is measured, giving a dull picture on those high gain(even worse: silver) screens mounted on flat frames on short throw auditoria.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2019 10:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah. You have to follow the whole standard and not just cherry pick the convenient one.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-06-2019 01:39 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that "looks best" is a very subjective thing. I personally might consider a particular movie to be overly dark, unfitting to the tone of the movie, so I may think it "looks best" with a bit more brightness...

But, as a tech, a projectionist or exhibitor, that's not really my task. My task would be to present it at the brightness it was intended to be screened. So, like others put it, you should present it at 14fl.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2019 04:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
But, as a tech, a projectionist or exhibitor, that's not really my task. My task would be to present it at the brightness it was intended to be screened. So, like others put it, you should present it at 14fl
I understand what you’re saying but I don’t entirely agree. In the case of audio, if I were to present the feature at the intended 7.0 volume, I would be bombarded with complaints that the volume is too loud. As an exhibitor, I believe your loyalty should be towards the customers’ preference, not the creator’s.

I’d like to edit my original question:
If you had your own screening room for your own personal viewing, where would you set your brightness to? Personally, I like the colors to be slightly on the vivid side so I tend to turn it up a little.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-06-2019 08:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do have our own screening room. Still, I'm not able to answer your question, since it's highly dependent on the movie itself. I guess that for most movies, the overal brightness is just about fine. So, generally, I don't mess with the brightness, unless it's getting into such extremes, that it starts to irritate.

I guess it's the same with the sound. I try to play it at "7.0", but some mixes are so hot, they get turned down a notch, because they're simply unbearable at 7.0. Maybe the director intended to blow my eardrums, but that's where I draw a line.

Some mixes, I'd also consider defective. I have helped them a hand in the past, I must admit... (Interstellar, I'm looking at you now)

Still, the general rule that you present the stuff it should be presented should apply. Customer complaints can be factored in, but I personally won't factor in the singular customer complaint, I'd rather try to educate them.

I did the same back when I worked at a cinema, back when we still had actual film to run [Wink] . If individual customers came by complaining the movie was too loud, too silent, too dark, too light, too black & white, I'd tell them that we always aim for a presentation the way it was intended to be presented and that, in this case, it was the director's choice it worked out that way. If we had hordes complaining about something being too loud or the other way around, then we generally tried to "fix" it, although even then, we generally tried to inform the public that we turned the volume down or up before the show started.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2019 11:21 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like 14fL for regular movies that were graded for 14FL, but I've become very fond of the 21fL that IMAX has settled on. Their new projectors have enough contrast ratio to look really good at that light level, as they can still go dark when the material calls for it. As projectors get better and better I find myself wishing for SMPTE/DCI to revisit the luminescence spec.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-06-2019 04:36 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the projector has enough contrast ratio and it was my personal screening room, I’d set it to 20fL.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-06-2019 04:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. You don't like an overly bright setting on e.g. an S2K machine, but with a better contrast, going higher doesn't hurt.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-06-2019 09:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Well yeah. You have to follow the whole standard and not just cherry pick the convenient one.
In my 20 years in the cinema industry I’ve never encountered anybody following that part of the standard.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day on a Barco DP4K40LHC (Laser High Contrast), I did a mistake and forgot to assign the correct laser dimming to Flat. So I used the same value for Flat and Scope which means Flat was too bright as it was a scope screen.

The movie was "Shape of water" (1.85) and during my test, I notice how good the image looked. I was actually fooled by the High Contrast on the projector (both native and ANSI). When I measured once again the brightness on Flat corrected white (XYZ), I was close to 22 ft/l and it looked great on this specific example. I was almost sad to dim to reach 14 ft/l.

Otherwise, target is 14 ft/l unless the content is graded for higher value. In France, we have Eclair Color that needs 30 ft/l. It can look good if the content is good.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-07-2019 05:34 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frederick

Was that shown on a high gain/silver screen?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMPTE 431-1:2006 specifies luminance and chromaticity tolerances for theaters and review rooms. The reference value for the center of the screen is 48 cd/M^2 or 14 fL. For theaters, the tolerance is +/- 10.2 cd/M^2 or +- 3 fL.

The reference value for the sides of the screen is 85% of center with a theater allowed 75 to to 90% of center. It's interesting that 100% of center is not allowed. There was considerable discussion of this at ISDCF regarding emissive screens which, I expect, would be pretty even. Further, if headroom is available, it should be possible with digital projectors to adjust the luminance of the sides up to 100% (or adjust the center down so it is the same as the sides). There was considerable discussion as to why the 85% value was there. Is it because that's what projectors were capable of, or is it indeed desired that the sides be dimmer than the center. There was discussion of a visual effect where the side suddenly drops to black (masking), and that a slightly dimmer side was desirable. I do not remember the name of this visual effect. For emissive displayes, it was finally decided that the radiation pattern of the LEDs (beamwidth) resulted in the sides being a bit dimmer than the center, though I have not seen measurements showing that they meet this specification. Further, if you were to measure from a non-center location (such as the left end of a row 2/3 back), the side of the image would be brighter than the center at this location. SMPTE is working on a recommended practice for screen luminance measurement that includes the center of the seating area, the left and right sides of the center, and the left and right sides of the front row. If the theater has a balcony, additional measurements are in the balcony. The goal is documenting the luminance at the ideal location (center of audience) and at several non-ideal locations. How is the image quality at these locations? Should they be within the tolerances specified by ST 431-1?

On higher luminance, note that the draft at https://www.dcimovies.com/drafts/DCI-DRAFT-HDR-D-Cinema-Addendum_v09_2018-1116.pdf for high dynamic range puts peak white at 500 cd/M^2, or about 10 times the current peak white.

https://www.dcimovies.com/drafts/DCI-DRAFT-Direct-View-Display-D-Cinema-Addendum_v09_2018-1116.pdf is a draft document on emissive screens. They are to support standard dynamic range (48 cd/m^2) and may optionally support HDR (500 cd/m^2). There is considerable discussion of off-axis performance.

Finally, DCI release https://www.dcimovies.com/announcements/DCI-Technology-Evolution-Statement_2019-0329.pdf which describes the two above linked documents and also tells about viewer preferences.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: