Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 900c Interface

Author Topic: NEC 900c Interface
James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2019 12:26 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I decided to check the projector out today as I was here pretty early to meet someone for an appointment. Come to find out, the laptop we use to control the projector decided to puke on me and is pretty much toast.

I lost the administrator to be able to control the projector to start shows and unsure how to get it back. I brought my desktop from home up here and followed the instructions on the manual to get the basic control panel up but the computer is saying the server isn't responding. Tried the IP address but nothing.

Any idea where I should go from here? We contacted our tech but he's on another location at the moment. Wasn't sure if there was an easy solution so I thought I'd ask.

We're pretty new to this..only about 5 months in...so I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to things like this.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2019 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your email.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-02-2019 02:55 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
probably your PC is not on the same address block as the projector. You can find the projector address on the panel, it's in the menu somewhere (setup?) but I don't have a projector here to check. Or, depending on your server, you may be able to see the projector IP address. Your computer ethernet port IPV4 address should be have the same first 3 sets of numbers and something different in the last set, usually x.x.x.240 works for me. Netmask should be 255.255.255.0, gateway is normally x.x.x.1
If that isn't the problem and you do have DCCS on the PC, ???
Certain projector software versions expect certain DCCS versions but a mismatch should still talk to it, maybe not do some tasks though like software updating.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2019 03:11 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now have the DCC installed on the PC and am able to use it.

However, I'm still missing the server controls to actually play/edit anything.

I contacted NEC about this and according to them the switch is whats blocking my PC from communicating directly with the projector. Its assigning the gateway, but I have no knowledge of what it is. I have the IP addresses for everything, but not that.

**Hold up...I may have fixed it [Big Grin] After inputting the server IP address it seems to be able to communicate now. Not sure if having the DCC software made it finally cooperate or not, but I have a film playing. Thanks guys!!!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-02-2019 03:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a difference between the projector, where DCC S2 is needed, and the server. I would assume that there is an IMS installed in this projector. To operate the system, you need to connect to the server, not the projector. Probably through a web interface.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2019 05:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how he finally got the server going. I told him to hook a monitor, keyboard and mouse to it and see if he can control it that way...

Mark

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2019 08:31 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, initially the new PC wasn't able to connect to the web browsers via IP address so I contacted NEC directly and had me switch the IP on my PC. Then they realized I had a switch which has its own gateway And told me to contact the installer.

Luckily I was able to get the DCC program installed and after doing so the web IP address worked for the Server interface. Perhaps I had not tried that previously, but the projector web interface was definitely not working.

I'm pretty fresh to this so there was probably a bit of an error on my end, but finally got something to work and our show went on for the night. Good learning experience, just lucky I happened to be there very early this morning to catch it. I've never had a driver completely fail out of nowhere on a computer like that before.

I was taught how to operate the machine, but it was already set up when we took over. So, I had no idea how the interfaces were accessed from nothing.

Many thanks for the help, this is a great forum.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2019 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a portable system so might want to consider replacing that switch with a standard gigabit switch unless it's that way for security purposes. I have always found that IP'd/locked switches are more PIA then they are worth.

Mark

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight as I was leaving I happened to notice a notification from the server interface saying "The Doremi Maintenance Program has not been performed on time. The system may malfunction."

Could that be related to me switching computers?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-04-2019 09:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. That is an annoying nag Doremi puts in. You are supposed to clean their servers...check the fans...etc. Once done, merely tell it that you have done so and the nag will log that and leave you alone for another year.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2019 10:52 AM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, good. I had a feeling that it was something along those lines. Thanks! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: