Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC SA 2100A

Author Topic: GDC SA 2100A
Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2019 04:11 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello..

Thanks for all the support from members here even when I ask seemingly stupid questions..

No experience with these devices so I keep asking.. until I probably find a person in my country to provide me with the support I need.

My projector came in with a gdc SA 2100A.. any cause for concern?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-02-2019 06:29 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is comparable to a Dolby DSS or Doremi DCP - out of production for a while but still supported somewhat. Software may not get any new revisions but works so far, maybe future new features in DCP packages could cause issues but possibly GDC would update them to be compatible.
Hardware is reliable but parts could be unavailable now or soon: I don't know about GDC but Dolby no longer repairs or stocks some vital parts for DSS and/or DCP servers - most parts are standard computer parts (some obsolete and NLA) but the media blocks have security features that prevent repair by anyone but the OEM (and they won't).
So essentially it's a risk decision: yes it can fail but so can a lot of things. If you can handle being dark a while in a failure, start saving a contingency fund for replacement of projection equipment. If it is critical that you stay open every day - well, you would best not pick used equipment like this.
Definitely contact GDC and ask if the server has a current software warranty, buy one if not and keep it paid up either way. That gets you support and any updates. GDC support will give you only very limited help if the server is not in paid up warranty.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2019 02:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
That gets you support and any updates. GDC support will give you only very limited help if the server is not in paid up warranty.
They will not extend the warranty on these older servers beyond software and support any more, but that is fairly inexpensive to do. I think it's like $150, and that is worth the price alone for their full support for 1 year.

I was surprised that on the SX-3000 they said they'll extend those for up to ten more years. But it is essentially the same media block thats in the 2000AR.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: