Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » High pitched tone coming from Doremi Showvault

Author Topic: High pitched tone coming from Doremi Showvault
Yang Miller
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 02:28 PM      Profile for Yang Miller   Email Yang Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a high pitched tone coming from Doremi Showvault on one of our screens. It's noticeable from outside the booth. The sound stops when the server is shut down. I'm imagining it's possibly a fan that is causing the issue. We're not getting any error notices or warnings. Has anyone experienced this?

|  IP: Logged

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 02:31 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very likely a fan; modern fans don’t last long.

Karl Belter
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 03:08 PM      Profile for Karl Belter   Email Karl Belter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a couple moving parts in a server anymore. Most likely fan, but could be a hard drive (if this is like a server and has them). The trick in a server is finding the guilty party.

Modern servers will give you means to see fan speeds so you can tell if a fan is not behaving like the others. I don't know if this system has that.

Assuming this box don't have "lid open" sensors, which some do, if your cables are long enough to pull out, you might start it up with top lid open and see if you can narrow it down. Other than than, your safest way would be to swap out each fan (remember power supplies frequently have fans) one at a time until you find which one did it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-26-2019 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I never had any fans fail in a server or projector...Not even in a Dolby server.

Mark

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-26-2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the power supplies is unplugged, dead, or otherwise not working. In the meantime, press the red button above the power supplies to stop the screaming.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-26-2019 06:27 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jip, it will probably not be a fan, but simply the alert that one of the PSUs plugged into the machine isn't providing power to the backplane.

Usually, pulling the faulty PSU out of the machine will permanently stop the beeping tone. The faulty PSU should be the one with either no green LED or an amber LED indication.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 06:39 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second checking what Adam suggested. Especially if it's loud enough to
be heard outside the booth. I've one or two fans get a bit 'squeaky', but I
think the fan bearings would seize up before they got loud enough to be
heard in the auditorium.

Do you have another Doremi you can swap supplies with & see if the it
goes away, or follows the supplies you swap?

About a year ago I got a call from someone about a "high pitched noise"
coming from 'somewhere in the booth' (This guy couldn't even localize it)

It did turn out to be a failing power supply in their DCP-2000.
Of course ("Murphy's Law") this happened the night before a big festival.

Fortunately, I had an identical server at home I use for testing some of
my own projects or trouble-shooting defective festival DCP's, so I let them
borrow my power supplies till they got theirs replaced.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-26-2019 07:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with the above. If it's a beep, it's a dead or dying PSU. If it's a high pitched abrasion or contact type sound, something to do with a fan (which includes the fan in the PSUs) - either the bearing is shot, or a fan blade is hitting something (a dislodged bit of crud?) every revolution.

Yang Miller
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 07:34 PM      Profile for Yang Miller   Email Yang Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam is the winner!

Turns out what I mistook as a fan squeal was an alarm tone for a failed power supply. The red button did the trick. Looks like we're ordering a replacement power supply, unless I luck out and it's just a faulty power cable.

Thank you all for your input! I've very grateful for tremendous resource!

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2019 10:29 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies for being misleading; I thought the squeal was only being heard in close proximity to the unit and that’s usually a fan.

A loud beeping is usually an alarm.

Sorry for the misdirect.

(I am also good at picking out noises so I can hear a failing fan in an office of PCs, too. It’s scary when the owner sitting in front of it for eight hours daily can’t. 😄)

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2019 05:40 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might find it peculiar, but I would be glad if the failing-PSU-alarm of the doremi server was as loud as the Dolby's one.
I remember hearing the sound on one occasion and not being able to locate it in a rather noisy environment.
The amber LED did the trick really soon, but made me wonder if it would be easily noticeable in other cases.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2019 07:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Gee, I never had any fans fail in a server or projector
Actually, GDC is the winner (loser) on the server fan department. The original double fan on the mediablock for the 2100/2001 server would indeed fail and was a dumb design (mediablock stewed in its own juices). The modern mediablock fan with the air plenum has a better service record but it too can go noisy/fail. I've also had the rear fans (just one though) on the GDC fail.

As for projector fans, eventually, they all fail though it would appear that the ICP fans on NEC series 2 projectors are starting to be the first to drop.

I've had other odd fans in other brand projectors also fail (so far, one cathode fan in a Barco early into its life and, just recently, a radiator fan in a Barco also go...nothing approaching a trend.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2019 11:02 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us the Card Cage fans on the CP2220 is the failure champ.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: