Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Software based Media Block with Solaria One+

Author Topic: Software based Media Block with Solaria One+
Samuel Malm
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2019 05:09 AM      Profile for Samuel Malm   Author's Homepage   Email Samuel Malm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This is my first post here at Film-Tech, but I've been a reader for some while now. I work at Gothenburg University as a lecturer in the film departement and we have a small 48-seat cinema here for lectures, screenings and post production.

We are currently running a Solaria One+ projector with Christies IMB, but our IMB has now given up on us. The university isn't a commercial cinema and our Solaria isn't running every day so I think our IMB ran out of battery and triggered a FIPS Anti-tampering alarm.. This is the second time the Christie IMB has failed on us, so we've started experimenting with a software based DCP playback solution. (We are not having commercial screenings so our DCP playback is more for internal screenings and QC and never with KDM's) We've tried the software based Dolby and Easy DCP player options but the playback hasn't been too smooth and the super short demo restriction of Easy DCP player+ makes it impossible to do a proper trial, so we started with Da Vinci Resolve which is free and gave us smooth playback. This is what we've tried so far with success:

PC running Black Magic Da Vinci Resolve with a simple Decklink card.

- We are getting full playback of DCP's without drop outs in 10bit over HDMI but only in HD
- Resolve can play unencrypted DCP's from the media pool or by dragging them onto a new timeline
- We can get 5.1 over HDMI, but it's a bit buggy

What we are interested in is if anybody managed to get full 12bit signal into a Solaria One+ via SDI and separate sound to a SKA-3D. We've been looking at Black Magics newer Decklink cards for playback that outputs DCI 2K 12bit 4:4:4 via SDI, and wonder if there's an inexpensive way of getting a SDI input to our Solaria One+ for playback?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/se/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-25
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/se/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-12

We are also interested in getting the 5.1 sound through AES EBU into the SKA 3D (or via HDMI). Resolve has been a bit picky with 5.1 over HDMI so running the sound through SDI, Analog or AES/EBU feels like a better option. This can probably be done with a larger Deckling card or a separate sound card.

This is not a normal setup for DCP playback, but something that could be very good for us and we are really interested if anybody has thought about a similar setup or have some experiences running a Solaria with an SDI input?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Greetings from Sweden

Samuel Malm

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-14-2019 01:14 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EasyDCP should support outputting 5.1 via HDMI and video via HD-SDI on the Decklink card. Getting AES-EBU to work on a PC would require interfaces that aren't really standard and should therefore be avoided. Make sure you don't share the HDMI port with anything else.

Have you tried contact EasyDCP / Fraunhofer ISS about your issue? Maybe they're willing to give you a more extensive trial license, in order for you to make an informed decision.

On the other hand, for the price of a new Decklink card + EasyDCP license, you could possibly also get a refurbished Series 1 server and avoid a lot of experimentation and possible frustration.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-15-2019 08:12 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Resolve is free (or low cost), but you should also check NeoDCP. DCP-o-matic standalone player is on the way towards public presentation capability, but not yet there.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-15-2019 09:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NeoDCP only supports 8-bit rendering and I'm not sure it supports HD-SDI output cards natively.

The problem with Resolve, is that's an authoring/composition/color grading tool and not really straight forward as a playback solution.

Samuel Malm
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2019 07:47 AM      Profile for Samuel Malm   Author's Homepage   Email Samuel Malm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcel and Carsten, thanks a lot for your input! I'll probably get back to EasyDCP player and see if we can get an extended trial license. It's hard to see how the program handles when you got 15 seconds to run from the projector booth to the cinema every time you play a DCP. We alos had some issues with the HDMI since we only can output 1080p so that's why we started to look at a SDI solution.

I'm also going to look into another replacement IMB as well. If you add up a new computer, SDI inputs to the Solaria, a Decklink card and a license of EasyDCP players you'll probably have more costs than a refurbished IMB. I just liked the idea of being completely software based, but all the costs surrounding the project might not be worth it.

Do you have any IMB recommendations that would fit our Solaria?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

All the best

Samuel

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-19-2019 07:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NeoDCP is the only player explicitly targeted at public presentation. That means things as playlist support. Yeah, you can probably use a 'timeline' as a playlist as well in Resolve, but... NeoDCP supports 10Bit color output with suitable cards (as well as HDCP or DPCP). HD-SDI as well (and P3 color support).

Still, If you already own a Solaria One+, get a new DCI IMS/IMB for it.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: