Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Nec Nc2000 c blue dots (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nec Nc2000 c blue dots
Erhan Korkut
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2019 10:53 AM      Profile for Erhan Korkut   Email Erhan Korkut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Nec nc2000c has blue dots in the image of my machine. The number of curtains and time is increasing.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-08-2019 01:25 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the light engine with stuck-on DMD blue pixels. Not common but it happens.
Try loading the alternating checkerboard pattern - I think this is a TI pattern on all series 2 TI based projectors, it has a full white and full black checkerboard that inverts every second or so - and leave it "playing" all night, the lamp does not need to be on.
If it's still got blue dots, you can either live with them (and they are likely to get worse over time) or have the prism replaced or repaired.
NEC is pretty nice about providing a prism for while the repairs are done (weeks) ... for chains with hundreds of NEC projectors. Not so generous for small cinemas. Might be worth asking though.

Curtains and time? Huh?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this happe on very early 4K light engines and on one NC-2000 light engine where sme demolition work went on literally right next to the peojector. Had to replace all these engines. The 4K engines were still under warranty when they failed and have not failed since.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-08-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
If it's still got blue dots, you can either live with them (and they are likely to get worse over time) or have the prism replaced or repaired.
I guess you mean the DMD [Wink] . Although, a new light engine usually is a better option than having yours refurbished. Refurbishment can take forever and in the end you might not get your own light engine back, but an entirely other one.

What I've seen is that some DMDs seem to have some kind of "pixel rot", once one starts to fail, others are prone to fail too. Maybe that's because one failed because of a bit of debris got stuck in there. If that one gets dislodged, it can start to affect other pixels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2019 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in the case of NC-2000 it is way, way less expensive to repair it via Strong than it is to buy a new one. A new NC-2000 light engine is ~25K USD, while repairing it is in the USD 4 to 6k dollar range if it's only one DMD and cleaning that needed. I was lucky in that I was able to secure a brand new light engine a couple years back from MIT that was out of a shipping damaged projector for 15K. The engine it was replacing had bad pixels on all theree DMD's from demolition done right next to the machine.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2019 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These companies really need a good RX program for light engines. It is BS that they don't have them on the shelf ready for the next failure and then merely repair the one that comes back. What is going to go wrong with them? The DMD or a formatter. Figure out what that costs and the clean/realignment and come up with a fair repair price for the RX. We used to do it for intermittents in the film days.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2019 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It is BS that they don't have them on the shelf ready for the next failure and then merely repair the one that comes back.
Well, Strong normally does have one they can send out.... if you happen own an NEC. NC-900 excluded.... but the prism can be repaired. Sony's imagers are field replacable. Christie was pretty good at getting one out to me in a few days time. It seems from what I have read on this site that Barco can only be sent in for repair and some have to go back to Belgium.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been able to find the alternating checkerboard on the NECs. Also it seems to be something internal on the Barco's and not a png file one can transfer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2019 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can actually upload Barco PNG files using the TI control software into the NEC. I have some Barco PNG's on some of the NEC's I installed.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2019 06:10 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
I have not been able to find the alternating checkerboard on the NECs
> There is a flashing-checkerboard on You-Tube that I used once in a pinch.
(and it worked! [thumbsup] )

It only runs about a minute, so I just downloaded it & had it repeat overnight.

Flashing Checkerboard

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2019 08:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and it worked! [thumbsup]
Can you tell us more? So far I thought the checkerboard-repair-method was an urban legend? I never talked to someone first hand who said it worked for him.

Some people seem to think that the alternating checkerboard applies special stress - but I think that's nonsense, the micro mirrors are all working the same way with any type of content.

- Carsten

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2019 09:48 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This used to be the method for fixing screen retention on plasma displays. Or a scrolling bar.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2019 09:17 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Can you tell us more?
This was a small, neighborhood theater that sometimes calls me when
they have a problem. They reported a "blue spot" in the upper left quadrant
of the screen. At the time, I was getting ready to leave town for another job,
so I didn't have a lot of time to deal with it. I went down to the theater & I
did see what appeared to be a 'stuck' blue pixel on the screen. It wasn't
'horrible', but it was definitely there & once you saw it, it was hard to ignore.

As the theater was short on money, and I was short on time & didn't want to
spend all night at the theater, ( I had a 3am airport shuttle pick-up the following
day) I decided to do the checkerboard thing as sort of a 'Hail Mary' fix for them.
Not finding an alternating checkerboard pattern on their projectorthingy (an NEC)
I created one for them & told the to let it run until they opened the next day.
(so it ran about 14 hrs)
I got a text message the next day that the 'blue pixel' was gone. This was about
two years ago, and it's never come back.

I agree with you that it shouldn't make a difference, & I wouldn't be surprised if
this doesn't work all the time, but all I can say is that on this occasion, it "fixed"
their problem.

The theater was operating on a very tight budget, so if this hadn't worked, they
probably would have just left the pixel on screen. In fact, I never even billed
them for my last minute late night 'emergency' call, so as far as I'm concerned,
they got they're moneys-worth.
(Although I recently did another emergency job for them which saved them from
loosing a sold-out show, for which they paid me almost double what I billed them,
so "it's all good".)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-12-2019 02:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe it was just showing 14 hours of "moving images" that did the trick eventually. [Wink]

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2019 06:22 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes mark I know one can install Barco test patterns in an NEC. I have done it as well. The issue is that NEC does not seem to have the alternating checkerboard and on the Barcos I have checked it is not a PNG file but seems to be internal and not something one can download.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: