Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC2000C internal router

Author Topic: NEC NC2000C internal router
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-22-2019 06:09 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday at start up we received a Router Self Check fail error. The error went away after rebooting the projector 3 times. I have ordered a part, but it likely will not be here until Tuesday or Wednesday.

In the event this should fail before the new one arrives, I'm curious if I can use an off the shelf router or switch to get through.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-22-2019 07:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, no, it has to be the NEC card., unless you can figure out the internal IPs of all the internal devices, and the active routing functions that the card does, and then reproduce them in the settings of an off-the-shelf one. I've never known of this having been attempted, let alone successfully.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2019 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This card failure was pretty common in early NC-2000's. I have had two out of 334 of them fail over the years. Its not a very expensive part, and the new ones don't fail. But you may also need an adapter kit to install the new card depending on the age of your projector.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-23-2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be aware that of the 5 ports, the one for the outside network connector is special and that cable must go in that port. The rest don't matter - the internal cables can each be in any of the other 4 ports. You will get router fail errors with a perfectly good router if you mix up the cables and that one is wrong.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-23-2019 08:17 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Dave. I usually take a picture for reference before I unplug things, but it's good to know there is a specific order to be aware of.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-23-2019 08:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've replaced two since starting work as a service tech - one in a 900, the other in a 3240. However, this is a part we keep in stock at all times, which I'm guessing (I don't handle parts sales or warranty replacements in cases where we don't install, so I couldn't tell you for definite) means that we sell them in significant numbers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of my customers that have multiple screens keep one on the shelf. In most cases it's the only part they do keep other than lamps.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-24-2019 01:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, and confirms my impression that the router is a known weak point in Series 2 NECs. Per this forum's convention, I'm not going to quote the exact price to buy one and put it on the shelf. But in the context of the operating costs of a multiplex, it's insignificant as an insurance policy against losing a weekend day of shows.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-24-2019 02:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost I was quoted was less than the lost ticket sales from one lost show with as few as 15-20 people.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2019 04:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Interesting, and confirms my impression that the router is a known weak point in Series 2 NECs.
Well, two out of 334 installs isn't really a weak link. I have had more Cisco network switches fail than I have had NEC Routers fail.

Any large multiplex should really have one on the shelf.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-28-2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've dealt with hundreds if not thousands of Cisco network switches over the years and have only had a handful of failures. Most of them after severe abuse, lightning strikes or fans clogged to the rim with dirt.

Are you sure you're talking about REAL Cisco switches here? Not something made by Linksys with a Cisco label slapped onto it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2019 09:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! They are real CISCO switches in the local switch position. Kind of expensive too. Since I had so many failures of cheaper Chinese local switches I switched to CiSCO. I probably have 20+ of these switches in and three have failed. That's high percentage of 20 switches. Anyway, turns out they are also made in China.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: