Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby IMS2000 and Jnior 310 help

Author Topic: Dolby IMS2000 and Jnior 310 help
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2019 02:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I replaced the Christie IMB S2 in my Solaria 4220 with a Dolby IMS 2000. It was relatively straight forward getting everything set up but I am currently struggling to get the IMS2000 to send the signal to the Jnior to pulse the relays that control my Kelmar dimmer (just down, mid, up). Any guidance on how to set this up?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-22-2019 06:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have your IP and port address properly configured. the IMS2000 should have an JNIOR device file (Set up in Device Manager) that should take care of the port for you and leave you with just the IP address.

When issuing commands, I recommend always adding a \w (wait) command on each and when configuring your cues, make sure that if they are text cues that binary was left checked (I have not worked with the JNIOR but have worked with the IMS2000 so I don't know the specifics of what the JNIOR is looking for). Also make sure your commands match what the JNIOR is expecting to receive (perhaps test them with your computer using a utility like PuTTY.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-22-2019 11:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the IMS2000 is 'Dolby' branded, the software base is Doremi, and using a JNIOR with a Doremi is usually not complicated. Integ has a setup document specifically for using JNIORs with Doremis.

http://www.integpg.com/downloads/documentation/AppNote_Doremi_Configuration.pdf

In general, JNIORs can be addressed by using raw ethernet or serial commands, but Doremis also offer a dedicated JNIOR driver. Now, it may be that whoever installed the JNIOR with the Christie IMB-S2 changed some defaults, and you may need to adjust some of these settings back to their defaults. While the IMB-S2 also offers a JNIOR device driver, it may not necessarily have been setup and used that way.

First, make sure the JNIOR driver is installed on the IMS2000 in device manager. Also, Rick from Integ can be phoned and will help you with any questions and guide you through.

Then be prepared for Bruce turning up here and suggesting an upgrade from the JNIOR 310 to a 410 (hi Bruce) ;-)

- Carsten

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2019 07:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen, will futz with it in the morning.

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, Carsten, yeah the 310 is not recommended for new installations but 310/410 the difference in this case will only be performance.

Rick can probably address the configuration quickly for you. If you send a quick email to support[at]integpg.com you should get a response promptly from one of us (even on a weekend). I just don't have the application experience to be definitive in this case. Kevin is lurking around here someplace.

Never hesitate calling the office, leaving a message or emailing for support. It's like early Maytag, we don't end up needing to provide support all that often and actually look forward to it (makes us feel needed). ;-)

Kevin Cloutier
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Cloutier   Email Kevin Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys.

Im lurking... Now to rise from the deep and post a quick response.

First a thanks to Carsten for the link to the application note.

To add, I would suggest trying to reboot the Dolby. I have heard that sometimes a Dolby or Doremi needs to be rebooted after adding or updating a JNIOR device. Its worth a try.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-23-2019 09:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the odds you two would work at the same company AND have the same last name?!?!?! [Wink]

Kevin Cloutier
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2019 11:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Cloutier   Email Kevin Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you mention that. A brief history... You see it all started a long, long time ago... Ok enough about that. The up side for our customers is that work related topics get discussed a lot more outside of work.

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2019 11:39 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, maybe we can get into the backstory as an extra at CinemaCon.

I know this is a 310. One of the advantages of the 410 is that there are diagnostic tools which are worth knowing about. The 310 had an IOLOG function for digital I/O and the 410 certainly has that and it is more precise. The IOLOG function on a 410 also allows you to see communication over the AUX serial port which can be great for debugging.

This is a case where you might want to run a network sniffer. Well the 410 is always sniffing the network port and capturing packets. You can generate a capture file using the NETSTAT command at any time to capture recent network traffic leading up to the moment. The resulting PCAP file can then be downloaded from the JNIOR and it will open right up in Wireshark (https://www.wireshark.org/).

You can establish a larger capture buffer and set filtering both on the way into the capture buffer and out into the capture file. You can also search and filter in Wireshark of course.

There is a promiscuous mode which can capture traffic not targeted for the JNIOR but that is usually thwarted by the network switches. We keep a bunch of older hubs around for that purpose as they pass all of the traffic to the JNIOR.

So I know this is sort of an advanced thing. For those of you that can handle it, it can really help diagnose communications with the rest of the world be it Doremi or whatever. And if you are ever adventurous enough to want to develop an interface to a different protocol it can be invaluable.

We would be happy to demonstrate the function and/or train anyone interested. Some information can be found on jnior.com. Search the Knowledge Base for "NETSTAT".

http://jnior.com/2017/10/26/analyzing-network-traffic/

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 04:19 PM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew Thomas
I replaced the Christie IMB S2 in my Solaria 4220 with a Dolby IMS 2000. It was relatively straight forward getting everything set up but I am currently struggling to get the IMS2000 to send the signal to the Jnior to pulse the relays that control my Kelmar dimmer (just down, mid, up). Any guidance on how to set this up?

So I thought that I would circle back on this since the issue seems to be relatively common. There is or was an issue with the Dolby IMS where it would send random bytes for the JNIOR's password to the JNIOR. Dolby has supposedly taken care of the bug but perhaps some of you can confirm. We still get calls and we are not sure if they are using the latest Dolby IMS release or not.

The work-around is cumbersome but has resolved the issue in the cases where we have suggested it. The steps are:

1. Remove the JNIOR from the IMS.
2. Reboot the Dolby IMS
3. Add the JNIOR back.
4. Reboot the IMS.

What we don't know is if you should reenter the default JNIOR username and password. We have heard that it is shown correctly but needs to be manually entered to properly update the fields and to then become functional. Naturally if you are using different credentials with the JNIOR you will have to edit the default. Maybe someone close to this issue can relate their experience.

I don't believe that a JNIOR that has been functional with the IMS starts then to fail. I think this only involves the initial configuration for JNIOR communications. Again, you guys can set me straight.

At any rate, don't "struggle" with the JNIOR or ever sit there in a state of confusion. Just email us (support[at]integpg.com works) and we will be happy to help you out or answer your innermost questions. We have been known to respond at all hours even on holidays. Although there is no guarantee of that, we do care and try.

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 07:59 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We continue to support techs with this issue. I wouldn't say it is daily but seems to almost be a guaranteed weekly event. The thing is that it is a bug in that Dolby has acknowledged. They say there is a fix but we can't seem to find out when it has or will be released.

We like to fix our bugs immediately. They're like heart burn here. So... I don't know.

Anyway, it seems to be news to a lot of techs. Maybe by resurrecting this thread we can get the word around. Maybe Dolby will get off their back side. The acronym I like in this regards is DHYB... Don't Hold Your Breath.

There is an article about this in our knowledge base. Basically the Dolby system fails to send the entire password. I can't tell you if it is just a communications issue or if the system doesn't save the password properly. Security is kind of important to us.

https://www.integpg.com/dolby-ims-jnior-connection-issue/

This is also a good one to see the utility of the JNIOR's network capture capability. The compatibility with Wireshark is really sweet but now I'm bragging.... Sorry.

Somebody needs to push Dolby.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2019 08:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce - is the corrupted password 'static' - always the same?

- Carsten

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 08:24 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten - No it isn't always the same. I think the example in the article is a complete blap of the password. Kevin says that sometimes the length is wrong and there are either not enough valid characters or additional random bytes.

It's one of those things that if you reenter the credentials on the Dolby it may eventually work. You end up putzing around trying different procedures and all of a sudden it works. Then don't touch it. And, you really don't know precisely what did the trick. It is natural to assume that the last thing you did fixed it but... it hasn't been reliably repeatable. They just need to address the bug.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: