Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Measuring Screen Brightness (FL) without a meter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Measuring Screen Brightness (FL) without a meter
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 08:19 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way to measure the foot lamberts on your screen without a meter? Or at least a way to approximate? Is there an app that can measure? Can you project an image with gradients or something which would approximate?

I did see that Harkness has an app for iOS for $35. Unfortunately I have a android.

We got a letter from Fox saying they won't book you for 3D on Alita unless you have at least 4.5FL. As far as I know our 3D screen is bright enough, but I don't have a meter to confirm.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2019 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.5 footlamperts?

Isn't 16 with a range of 12-22 still used? 4.5 is not bright enough. Or has the required light changed with digital?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2019 09:11 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16 fL was "open gate" film. With film present, peak luminance is often 14 fL. That's the idea for digital projection. Tolerance is about +/- 20%. For stereo (3D), light is divided between the two eyes, so each only gets half as much. Then there are other losses in the system that runs the luminance even lower. I assume the 4.5 fL requirement is "per eye," so you have to be running 3D (with losses there) and have glasses in front of the luminance meter (more losses).

Harold

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 09:16 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it kind of wandered off in a different direction after a while, see this thread for some information about this.

I had to borrow an iphone to take the pictures that they wanted me to upload; perhaps you'll have to do the same? How will they verify what you tell them the output from the app says? Or will they just take your word for it?

I actually received an email within the past hour from the outfit who's doing this audit for Real D telling me that "this auditorium has been added to the list of 4.5 foot-lambert 3D capable locations and will be submitted as such to Fox Studios."

I still have no idea what they're doing as far as verification goes, but they're apparently doing it.

Edit: As Harold points out, the requirements for taking those pictures were that they had to be taken through the right lens of the Real D glasses, so I had to hold the glasses in front of the camera lens. Which was really awkward to do and in hindsight I should have just removed the right lens from one of those glasses and taped it over the lens. But I didn't think of that until later on.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 10:33 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I did see that Harkness has an app for iOS for $35.
Has anyone tried that app? Compared it to a real light meter?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 10:56 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
Then there are other losses in the system that runs the luminance even lower.
And they ain't trivial, especially in the filter wheel systems. At the last theater I worked, we had an NEC 3240 which had the Dolby filter wheel. In 2-D (i.e. the filter wheel not in the light path), a 3kW bulb would easily provide 14ft-L, even with the iris installed. 3-D, however, needed a 7kW bulb and the iris out, and even then it barely topped 4.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2019 07:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presuming your Dolby 3D system used a white screen (1.4 - 1.8 gain screen, or less), then the Dolby 3D showing 3.5-4fL in the center will be brighter, overall, than a Real-D showing 5.5fL in the center on a Silver screen (2.2-3.0 gain).

Note, the 3D spec is 4.5fL +/- 1fL in the center and a lot of hand waving for the rest. There is also a "MaxBright" spec that some have offered that targets 6-7fL for center brightness. If your Dolby 3D hits 5fL on a white screen, you can run those without losing the blacks better than Real D running at 6-7fL.

And for the 2D, 14fL in the center with a +/- 3fL is the spec for "Cinemas." Note, the spec doesn't end there, you have a side/corner luminance relative to center of 75%. If your screen gain is higher than 1.3, you'll never hit it. So 3D hurts you even in 2D.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-07-2019 09:05 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D certainly works OK, no issues with that.
Leo's point pretty much rules it out for real-world cinema use though. A mixed program either has a super dim 3D image or a blinding bright 2D image. There is no lamp with an operating power range wide enough to dim to 14 ft-L for 2D if Dolby 3D is at 4.5 ft-L.
Railing against silver screens and touting Dolby 3D as a panacea gets us nowhere. Both have drawbacks... but the Real-D XL on an automatic mover is the best solution available for cinema 3D where mixed programs are required.
For critical screening rooms Dolby 3D or an active glasses system like XPAND is used because the silver screen is unacceptable, some have a matte roll-up screen in front of the silver 3D screen for Real-D or equivalent.
Dolby 3D with a commercial 6P laser system is excellent ... not economical for many cinemas but it gives bright, clear 3D with minimal ghosting. IMAX 6P laser systems use the same glasses technology.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2019 10:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D running at a lower center fL is brighter over all than Real-D running a brighter center fL...so nothing is ruled out there. In fact, the majority of our 3D cinemas are Dolby 3D.

What rules out Dolby 3D is the fact that it is all but a dead format. Both Dolby and Barco have pulled from production the mechanisms that allowed for it.

Note, when running 2D with Dolby 3D in a mixed program...the 3D mechanism stays in. If one doesn't wear the glasses, the 2D portion isn't horribly dim (typically preshow or trailers). Those houses that have Dolby 3D that we support have 2D and 3D lamps/lamphouses. 3D is such the odd offering now, it isn't a big deal to switch lamps/lamphouses. This way, they don't waste lamp life running the big lamp for 2D shows.

The Real-D XL does allow for 2D and 3D to hit the range of center lumens with a single lamp size...BUT, remember that the 2D center lumens only applies if your sides and corners are at 75% of center...which they won't be on a Real-D system. Furthermore, with the Real-D XL...you lose convergence of the two images (not colors) in the corners...more so on curved screens. So you take a image quality hit to use the Real-D XL too.

Lasers offer some help in the 2D/3D dilemma since they can be run so low for 2D and only need to be cranked for 3D...though the longer you run them hard, the faster they fade.

And then on the top-end, 6P Laser systems and the Dolby-esq 3D is the real way to go because you get bright 3D with whatever bright 2D you want (either 14fL or one of the brighter HDR specs that seem to still be evolving).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2019 02:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
...a letter from Fox saying they won't book you for 3D on Alita unless you have at least 4.5FL.
Interesting that FOX would put a stranglehold on the venues to ensure that you have this range, or you don't get to play their film in 3D.

We're getting the Thurs opening in 3D and we never did any light checks and let them know.

If you've been running 3D in the past with no issues, you should be okey.

Maybe put a new bulb in to ensure the best brightness so the FOX police won't give you a citation.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-07-2019 05:12 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could use a traditional camera loaded with panchromatic film to shoot several images of the screen in succession then read the developed film with a densitometer, taking the average of 3-5 frames.

If done correctly, you could probably get a pretty accurate reading of your screen brightness... provided you knew the response curve of the film, that is.

[Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-07-2019 05:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin - does Fox tell you any way to confirm screen brightness? Do they expect you to just tell them 'Our screen can do 4.5'? Or do they want some sort of 'certificate' by a tech etc.?

In general, decent screen luminance meters are expensive. Cameras can be used, but there is a bit of calculation involved and no direct readout is possible. I used to measure our screen brightness with my old SLR spot exposure meter. I can't tell you the translation from exposure value to cd/sqm or fl from memory, I used an excel sheet for it.

A common digital photometer can be bought from ebay or amazon from 10-20US$ on. Other than a luminance meter, it measures illuminance, that is, the amount of light shining ONTO the screen, not off the screen. In general, it is easy to calculate the amount of light reflected back from the screen if you know then screen gain.

You can get a decent estimate of screen luminance if you place a photometer probe close to the screen, pointing towards the projector. The readout will be in lux, you need to divide that value by 3.14, and multiply with the screen gain.

If you have a matte white screen (Gain=1), a lux readout of around 150lux will result in a screen luminance of about 48cd/sqm. If you use a gain screen, e.g. a 1.8 silver screen, the peak luminance will be 48cd/sqm*1.8.

Now, for 3D, things may become complicated since you have to measure though the 3D glasses. Some devices may deliver wrong results, depending on your type of 3D system.

The Harkness app has been tested for very good results, but I don't know how well it covers various 3D systems.

Another way to keep an eye on your brightness levels is to establish a reference to a proper brightness measurement by a tech using a properly calibrated instrument.
E.g. you can take a photometer measurement while a tech is measuring the same spot on the screen. From then on, you know the relation between luminance and illuminance for that given screen. While gain suffers a little bit over time, it can still be considered pretty constant. So, bulb aging, 3D loss, etc, can be compared to a proper measurement.

Again, all depends on how Fox wants you to confirm your screen brightness.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2019 01:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found out that James Cameron, Exec Producer, is pushing this light requirement to all cinemas doing the 3D playback.

Heard also that FOX will be sending out test clips of both 4.5 and 6fL to ensure the brightness requirements. Linky

quote:

February 7, 2019 Martin Samoylov
“Alita” Filmmakers Send Theaters Details For How Not To Mess Up 3D Projection

As we previously reported, Alita: Battle Angel is being heavily marketed as a “cinematic 3D event”. Shot in native 3D and produced by 3D mastermind James Cameron, it’s an important part of the film’s theatrical run.

To make sure theaters don’t screw up the actual 3D projection, director Robert Rodriguez andProducers James Cameron and John Landau have taken a rare step by leaving a message to projectionists about which 3D file to play.

To add some context, movies get distributed in hard drives. Those hard drives contain various digital files which can then be projected onto the big screen. Since the film won’t be projected the same way in all auditoriums, there are separate files for 5.1 and 7.1 audio, for 2D and 3D projections and for open and closed subtitles.

However, not all 3D projectors are the same. Some can project 6 and some only 4.5 units of luminance, depending on the technology. So the studio sends out separate files for each. If the file intended for weaker lighting is projected on the stronger one, the image will look dim. Vice-verse, the one intended for the stronger projector played on a weaker one will cause an overly bright image.

That’s the scenario the filmmakers want to avoid, which is why they attached the following message on the projectionist letter.

IMPORTANT 3D NOTE: The key to the 3D experience is the light. You have been provided with both a general release 4.5 FL 3D DCP and a premium 6 FL-XBrite 3D DCP. Projecting an XBrite 3D DCP at the standard 4.5 Foot Lamberts of light will result in a dark, hard-to-see presentation. It was especially color graded at 6 foot lamberts and must be run at 6 FL. Projected in this way, it will look amazing!

Conversely, if a general release 3D DCP is shown at 6 FL it will look overly bright. It must be run at 4.5 Foot Lamberts, and it will look terrific at that light level. Since you may have some auditoriums capable of running at 6 FL 3D with others that can only hit 4.5 FL 3D, please confirm that the correct DCP file is loaded in the appropriate theater and that each is run at its proper light level.
This will make a huge difference in the presentation and to audience enjoyment. Thanks so much from Robert Rodriguez, Jon Landau, and Jim Cameron.

Although it would be easy to dismiss the filmmakers as paranoid and overly attentive to levels of brightness, their concern isn’t unfounded. In the age of digital projection, many theaters don’t monitor for proper projection as most of it is automized. One of the few steps that must still be done by a human is the step of inserting files into a theater’s server. Attaching the message in the paper intended for that human is a logical step to avoid theaters accidentally projecting the wrong file and causing a dim or bright 3D experience.

It’s not the first time filmmakers have left notes on digital projectionist sheets. Oliver Stone indicated his preferred audio level for Snowden. Warner Bros. indicated how theaters can zoom in properly to avoid black bars for Dunkirk, which had an unusual aspect ratio. And famously, Disney let theaters know that those few seconds of silence during hyperspeed in Star Wars: The Last Jedi were intentional and not sound failure.

Overly dim projections are an issue, especially with movies such as Alita which have setpieces that take place at night. Last year, multiple theaters complained about dimness in screening of Solo: A Star Wars Story, which has similar scenes set in dark environments.

AMC told IndieWire last year that the chain has “Digital Cinema Managers” in some of their locations. However, at those that don’t as well as other theater chains there will often only be a corporate phone number available to help in case projection is faulty.

Although the studio really wants you to see Alita: Battle Angel in 3D and even took out a Super Bowl spot to remind you that the film was one of those that “must seen on the big screen” and anew calling it the “3D event of the year”, you might not find too many 3D showtimes in U.S. theaters. A certain other 3D movie called The Lego Movie 2 is coming out the same weekend and will be taking some 3D screenings.

As a silver lining for Fox, 3D is more popular overseas anyways where it has already opened in a few markets.

If you’re in the U.S. and want to see the film in 3D before it opens, there will be “3D fan events” on February 11 and 12. On Tuesday, T-Mobile will also offer Atom Ticket codes for the film which reduce a ticket cost to $4 as part of their T-Mobile Tuesdays series on the February 12.

Alita: Battle Angel officially opens in the U.S. on February 14. The film is produced by James Cameron’s production company Lightstone Entertainment.

Photo Credit: Courtesy Twentieth Century Fox TM

Read more about Alita: “Alita: Battle Angel” Being Promoted as “3D Event”, “Alita: Battle Angel” Early 3D Fan Screenings Set For 02/11 and 02/12

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-08-2019 01:59 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
If you have a matte white screen (Gain=1), a lux readout of around 150lux will result in a screen luminance of about 48cd/sqm. If you use a gain screen, e.g. a 1.8 silver screen, the peak luminance will be 48cd/sqm*1.8.
One last step maybe. If you want to go from Candela per Square Meter to Foot-Lambert, multiply by 0.291. [Wink]

There are many "Light meter" apps in the app store for both Android and iOS. They usually use the built-in light meter in the phone, which is normally located on the front (display side) of the phone.

The results are nowhere near as accurate as with a real light meter though. So, at best you're getting a good ballpark figure out of it. But retry it with two or three phones and if none really stands out in the measurement, take the average.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-08-2019 03:44 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We receive satellite delivery from DCDC. One thing that could be done is to stop delivering us versions of movies/trailers which we can't use. For example, they should know we play the standard 3D versions (the 4.5FL version). For this reason they should stop pushing the XBright version to us. The same goes for CPLs with ATMOS sound, and trailers branded for specific circuits. Although I am very careful to make sure I'm using the correct versions, it would make life easier to not have all the version we can not play. It would be a simple step to help ensure customers are getting a proper presentation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: