Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Teething problems on first showings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Teething problems on first showings
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2019 01:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I frequently go to see movies on the day of their release; often the first public showing of the movie in that particular theater. More than once, the theater has had a problem with the projector, server or 3D polariser that's affected the movie.

Today I saw Alita Battle Angel in 4DX. The movie didn't start at the programmed start time; someone had to go start it manually. The trailers played ok, but when the movie started the screen was all purple with only the green channel showing any image. With 3D glasses on it was even worse; awful flickering on alternate left and right eyes. Eventually they did manage to get the picture to look correct, but I had missed the opening 5-10 minutes of the movie due to this issue. They gave out free passes to people who stayed to the end after that.

Any of you guys had the first showing of a movie fail? Aren't theaters supposed to do a staff-only screening first to make sure everything is working?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they had a 3-D DCP programmed into a 2-D playlist. That would cause something like the color issue you described.

We always test every movie. If it's a "major" movie we'll do a full run-through, but I always look at the first minutes, then a dialogue scene to see what volume we need to use, and then I always run the full credit roll to see if there are any easter eggs. If there are, I'll program the lights to go down during them.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 02:24 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch every movie that I play from start to finish, sitting all by myself in the auditorium, before showing it to the public. Over the years there have been two or three instances where a movie showed up here too late on Friday afternoon to allow me to have time to watch it in advance so I just had to press play and pray, but I don't like that at all.

Most movies used to have note stating that this must be done before showing the movie to to the public, and a paper form was also included in the shipping case for the projectionist to fill out and fax back to Technicolor or whoever. "(title) has been pre-screened at (theatre name) by (projectionist name) at (time) on (date). After the first few years that form disappeared but the note about pre-screening being required still shows up on some of the papers that come in the shipping case along with the movies.

I guess a lot of theatres don't do that (and maybe they never did) but they're all supposed to and in my opinion it's negligent to not do that.

When I got film, I could see the film and know if it was in good shape. Are all of the reels there? Is the film itself in good shape? It didn't happen too often that I got a film in such poor condition that I had to pre-screen it to fix it but I did have to do that on more than one occasion, too.

With digital cinema you don't know what you've got until you watch it. Is it correct? Is it complete? Does it play all the way through in the right order? Any other issues with the picture or the sound? There's simply no way to know any of those things without actually sitting down and watching it all the way through.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 04:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Real D and just using a Z-screen, the connection between the Read D transmitter box and Z-screen is broken.

Flickering between lenses is what I get when a Z-screen has lost communication with the transmitter.

That S-Video cable they used for the connection isn't the greatest, esp if the Z-screen is on a slider, which loved to irritate that S-Video cable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 08:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to watch every movie before playing it but with my day job, there just isn't time every week. If we're opening a big movie, I'll usually try to watch it the night before it opens or if it's a Marvel or DC movie, I have a buddy who is totally into that stuff so he's glad to watch it for me if I can't.

We've been digital since June of 2010 and have played at least six hundred different movies on our system, and as of now I've had playback problems with exactly one title. Any other problems we've had were equipment issues that a pre-screening wouldn't have necessarily uncovered.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-06-2019 11:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
When I got film, I could see the film and know if it was in good shape.
Yeah! And, if you built the film up at the workbench before running it onto the platter you could practically watch the whole movie before you even threaded it in the projector.

After a while, once you’ve seen enough film go by, you learn how to shift your eyes the right way and you can see a clear image of the film.

Can’t do that with digipix. Digital movies don’t exist in the real world. They are merely a set of instructions that a computer can use to reconstruct a likeness of a movie... but not a movie, itself.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also makes a big difference wether you want to screen the full show or only the main feature. Main feature is for checking it's intactness and e.g. audio levels, credit offset, etc, but, if there's a tendency for mistakes in the SPL cues, you need to sit through the full preshow to make sure everything ends up properly at the main feature.

Some locations program shows fully manual, some use a TMS, some receive preset program blocks from a central office. Each of these methods has it's own potential issues. Oh yes, and then there may be unreliable equipment.

Some screens may not get the minimum time slot to actually do a test screening. The big chains are all excited about staff reduction and automation, so, who should do these tests?

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 12:46 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
who should do these tests?
There's a breech in the market for you: Screening self tests! If we let self-driving cars on the street, why not self checking movies in the theatres.
Now if we can figure out a way to eliminate the need for people to actually watch the movies to make money...oh wait, Netflix.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the issues is KDMs are not always valid in time to do a qc check the night before. We've had times when the bes we could do was a quick check in the morning before the first show.

One positive with digital movies is they can be checked in just a few minutes. If the playlist starts properly, including the proper format and automation cues then you're usually in good shame. Then verify no audio issues like narration in the rear channel and that the credit offset is correct.

With film you pretty much had to watch all the way through because of the possibility of out of frame splices, or reels attached upside down. Neither should ever happen, but sometimes a print arrives late and your best person isn't available. Or you get a used print that has issues. I remember when we played Bill Maher's Religioulous there was an out of frame splice at almost every reel change. The person who built it up was normally very reliable, but something went seriously wrong in this instance.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 08:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
When I got film, I could see the film and know if it was in good shape. Are all of the reels there? Is the film itself in good shape? It didn't happen too often that I got a film in such poor condition that I had to pre-screen it to fix it but I did have to do that on more than one occasion, too.

With digital cinema you don't know what you've got until you watch it. Is it correct? Is it complete? Does it play all the way through in the right order? Any other issues with the picture or the sound? There's simply no way to know any of those things without actually sitting down and watching it all the way through.

^^^^ This.

Even when time constraints prevented me from building a print at the bench (Or when I built up the 70mm print of Branaugh's "Hamlet" at the Laemmle Royal) I could still hold the edges of the film coming off the MUT to try and catch problems. (And it paid off with "Hamlet", I found two random splices in the film, done with staples!)

Now it's ingest the hard drive and pray.

While I can agree with the overall presentation at least maintaining a consistent, higher quality over the length of the run, you STILL have the possibility of breakdowns that, unlike film, may not be recoverable for that show.

In the film days I have dealt with stripped gears (changeover booth so we kept going on one machine while I worked on the other during each running reel, we only had two pauses during the show to rethread), platter failures (used the MUT or a spare staff kid to turn the platters), one bulb explosion (restarted after a very quick bulb swap) and so on. Film breaks (as long as it wasn't due to a brain wrap) could be fixed in well under a minute.

And due to digital's quarks, it has happened where you run a test showing and everything works, but a future show has problems due to some sort of server or projector glitch.

Thankfully the KDM issues have been pretty well sorted out, but the idea of keeping the film locked until too close to first scheduled show is still a problem.

And there's THIS to consider.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-11-2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had lot of crap happening around many of the shows I recently attended...

I went to a Dolby Cinema show of Aquaman: The show started, the lights did not dim, it took about 15 minutes to make somebody aware about that fact. It's pretty frustrating that you pay premium fees to get a botched presentation. Nobody even cared to give the visitors any form of compensation for this kind of butchery.

When I went to see The Avengers, Infinity War, somewhere in the last months on some "PLF" screen, the movie initially started without a picture. After fiddling around, they managed to start the 2D version. (We paid for the 3D version.) At first, nobody seemed to notice or care, but then some people went out to complain. Resulting in another 10 minutes of botched attempts to restart the movie, but now with the second projector operating. Eventually, they managed to start the movie in 3D, but the Atmos in the room was clearly not working.

When I first tried to watch Glass in a proper cinema, they couldn't figure how to dim all the lights in the room. Some irritating, white-blue LED strip, mounted vertically alongside our row apparently didn't want to dim, even after 10 minutes of random button pushing. We left, since we didn't want to see the movie with a bright light shining in our face from the left.

While trying the laser-shark upgraded IMAX theater in Amsterdam, the whole thing broke down midway the movie. Fortunately, we could finish the movie in another room, using an old-school Christie Xeon machine... The irony: the picture looked better in that smaller theater and the 7.1 surround in that theater beats the rock-concert arrangement of modern IMAX hands down...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-11-2019 05:57 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They simply need to get more IT and remote monitoring in to overcome these issues. That will allow them to get rid of the human factor that causes all these glitches.

- Carsten

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-11-2019 08:33 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That will allow them to get rid of the human factor that causes all these glitches.
The "human factor" is the reason why people go to the movie theater. It is one person providing a service to another for the purpose of entertainment, diversion and enjoyment.

Yes, there will be mistakes and problems because it is part of the human experience to make mistakes but, as long as people are honest and straightforward, I don't have a problem with it.

The day they took the "human factor" out of movie theaters is the day that movie theaters died.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-12-2019 05:46 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They simply need to get more IT and remote monitoring in to overcome these issues. That will allow them to get rid of the human factor that causes all these glitches.
It's hard to judge whether you're sarcastic or not. [Wink]

I was under the impression that each Dolby Cinema setup was already meticulously remotely monitored. I mean, it was an almost sold-out Saturday evening show... the kind of show every self-respecting projectionist would check every minute, to ensure everything runs smoothly...

I can understand that stuff breaks down, although given my recent experiences, it feels like stuff is breaking more than it used to do and there is generally nobody around that has any clue how to fix it. Still, it shouldn't be me, arguing with the concessions sales guy that stuff is broken. But yeah, it also shouldn't be me, reminding the guy at the door to the theater, that RealD glasses won't cut it in a Dolby Cinema 3D show... (they sent most people before me back to the concessions counter to buy a pair of glasses, which they then couldn't use...)

If something breaks, the theater should know it roughly at the same time I notice it. You should send somebody out to politely excuse for the mishap, while trying to fix the issue. If you can't fix the issue, then try to give your patrons a worthwhile compensation for their screwed evening. A simple free pass, that often doesn't even cover for upcharges for 3D or "premium" presentations and unfinished concessions, simply doesn't cut it.

In this case kudos for the Pathe Amsterdam Arena, where they, at least did go all the way and look for a possibility for us to finish the movie. Sorry that your upgraded IMAX theater still sucks balls though. [Wink]

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2019 07:08 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
it feels like stuff is breaking more than it used to do and there is generally nobody around that has any clue how to fix it.
If this were a tweet I would have to give this a Like and would probably RT with commentary. The decline is universal. Technology was supposed to improve life. It did mostly up until that late 90's until capitalism realized that there would be profit in it and the race was on to gobble up every crumb. The story from that point is likely not about the benefit to mankind.

Sorry. I digress. You touched a nerve.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: