Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Setup for Barco ICMP and USL JSD-80 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Setup for Barco ICMP and USL JSD-80
Wang Lance
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2019 09:22 PM      Profile for Wang Lance   Email Wang Lance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have been struggling with the setup for ICMP and JSD-80.

JSD-80 can be reached by its own application and Chrome (web-interface), and also using TeraTerm can successfully send commands.
However with ICMP the connection cannot be established.
IP setting is correct, and the port required for JSD-80 is 10,001 as indicated in its manual.
But it always says"device not connected" while using Communicator to test sending a cue.

Anyone has experience of the setup please can you share it with me. Appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does JSD80 have only RS232 control port? Why are you refering to ip adresses than??? Somebody correct me if i am wrong,.....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-03-2019 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not set up an ICMP to a JSD80. I have connected a eCNA series automation, GDC SX2001, Dolby DSS200 (running 4.9.x software). All operated as expected. For the JSD80 to operate with Ethernet, on has to have the chassis with the Ethernet port (obviously) an also the last incarnation of the control board with the USB port visible through the front panel...and then set the IP address of the JSD80 to what you want. Again, nothing operated oddly and according to the specification sheet.

Note, the JSD80 can only support ONE DEVICE at a time on its port so you can't have your computer hooked up and have a server talk to it. The JSD80 volume level is strangely done using text characters but representing a HEX number. So to set the fader to 7.0 you'd issue the command: level 46\r

Juan Jose Vazquez
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2019 09:08 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Vazquez   Email Juan Jose Vazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have 4 USL JSD-80 connected via ethernet and controlled by jnniors automation 310. For these to work correctly configure them as raw device using port 10001 and using termination string \r

On Doremi servers they are configured the same.

Wang Lance
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2019 11:19 PM      Profile for Wang Lance   Email Wang Lance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Marin,

JSD-80 does have a Ethernet port which can be used for automation commands. You can refer to:
http://ftp.uslinc.com/Products/JSD-80/Documents/Technical/Jsd80AutomationCommands.pdf

@Steve,

Thank you for your reply.
The IP address of my JSD-80 has been pre-configured so that I could see it through Chrome, also I could set ICMP up accordingly. Apparently my JSD-80 does NOT have last incarnation of the control board with the USB port visible through the front panel. Will that be the cause of the failed connection? Whatever commands I send via Communicator only brings back "device not connected"...
BTW, the command I tried was "level 46" instead of "level 46\r ". Did I make it wrong with no "\r"?

@Juan,

We have considered Junior box, but the volume adjustment could not be achieved by using it I suppose.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2019 11:55 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the JSD-80 firmware MANY years ago. The USB connector is on the control board, but does not poke through the front panel. We revised the control board to add USB and Ethernet, so we often ask if USB is there to identify which control board you have. Also, the Ethernet controller is on a daughterboard on the control board. The \r Steve mentions is a carriage return. All commands end with a carriage return. Different systems represent the CR in different ways. As others have mentioned, the JSD-80 only accepts one TCP connection at a time. If something else, like TeraTerm, is connected, the Barco will not be able to connect. Since you said the Barco said it could not connect, it could be this or a network issue. It would be i teresting to ug a conputer running Tera Term into the switch port instead of the Bzrco, then set the computer to the Barco IP address and see if it can connect to the JSD-80. Look at subbet mask gateway, etc.

Good luck!

Harold

Sergey Morozov
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2019 01:44 AM      Profile for Sergey Morozov   Email Sergey Morozov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should use these values in "value" field of ICMP setting:

for 5.0 level - level\0932\0D
for 6.0 level - level\093C\0D
and so on

\09 means tabulator and \0D means carriage return in ICMP

You need use HEX-values of sound level according to this easy-view table
 -

Wang Lance
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2019 02:08 AM      Profile for Wang Lance   Email Wang Lance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Harold,

If the JSD-80 we have comes with Ethernet but without USB, will this different board revision be a problem for TCP connection?
We did use TeraTerm for testing connection, and it is fine.
For now every network setting seems OK, but ICMP just cannot connect the JSD-80. Will give it a try after CNY holidays. Thank you!

@Sergey,

Thank you for the hints. Will try it and hope it works!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-04-2019 04:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wang - if you haven't used a termination character, that is most probably your issue. You probably hit RETURN in TeraTerm and that made it work, but the ICMP is not 'hitting' RETURN automatically, you need to add it to the control string as a so called Escape sequence. Every device has it's own escape character scheme.

For the ICMP, it should be \0D for 'RETURN', as Sergey states.

- Carsten

Wang Lance
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2019 04:44 AM      Profile for Wang Lance   Email Wang Lance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

That could indeed be my issue as setting up control strings for such device is relatively not common to me, comparing with Dolby/ QSC audio processor. Thank you for your reply. Wish me good luck. : )

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2019 06:43 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wang Lance
We have considered Junior box, but the volume adjustment could not be achieved by using it I suppose.
With the Series 4 JNIOR I'd bet there are a couple of ways that you can do the volume adjustment if we haven't already gotten that done for someone. If anyone has that need in the future be sure to ask us (Rick) about it. It may not seem feasible with the CINEMA application but we can always run something alongside to do just about anything. You just need to challenge us with these things when they come up.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-04-2019 07:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be more clear...

The USB port is merely visible looking through the right side of the front panel. If you are getting any communication on the Ethernet port, then it would almost have to be there.

On the commands, they are text representing hex, not actual hex commands. So you don't need any escape characters like the backslash "\" before them. It is straight up: level 46\0D

Carsten is correct, for the ICMP, they want the hex value after the backslash. If you don't supply a carriage return, the JSD80 will be waiting for it, forever, to evaluate the string that came before it. When you hit return in a terminal program, most put in the carriage return and line feed automatically so you may have missed the nuance that you have to supply those when issuing commands. Note, the JSD80 just needs the carriage return \0D (other systems use \r and still others use ^M (Extron uses % as their hex escape character). It is always the sending device that sets those rules. The receiving device is really receiving everything as binary words, the ASCII/HEX is merely for human convenience. But you have to tell the device you are working with what you want it to send.

Note, the JSD80 works with a space between the command and the value so: level 46\0D is a valid command. It need not have \20 or a \09 (tab, since the JSD80 works with either) in the text part.

level\2046\0D
should work too (20 Hex = Space).

You could covert the entire thing to hex if you wanted with a "\" before each hex representation of the command. It would take a lot longer for most people to formulate commands that way.

Wang Lance
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2019 05:43 AM      Profile for Wang Lance   Email Wang Lance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Cloutier
You just need to challenge us with these things when they come up.
Thanks Bruce. If there is a need I will shout.

quote: Steve Guttag
The USB port is merely visible looking through the right side of the front panel.
I checked the front panel this morning, and the USB port was NOT there for sure.

Unfortunately I got no luck today.
No matter what kind of above commands I tried, all I saw was "device not connected" as formerly reported.

The Status Page of JSD-80 could still be accessed by using Chrome, and the model number was JSD-80 v100329. Not sure if this is too old for connection with ICMP or other servers except GDC...

-

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2019 06:43 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can reach the JSD-80 with Chrome, Ethernet is working. Early firmware did not support ping, so it's possible that it does not respond to ping. Firmware updates and instructions are available at http://ftp.uslinc.com/Products/JSD-80/Software/Firmware/ . Also, if Ethernet is working, there should be a USB connector on the control card, behind the removable front panel. I would first use Tera Term ( http://ftp.uslinc.com/MultiProduct/teraterm-4.83.exe ) to see how the commands work. You should be able to connect to the JSD-80 on port 10001 .

Good luck!

Harold

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-22-2019 07:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be more clear, the USB connector does NOT protrude from the front panel, it is merly visible through the slots on the right side.

-

Look below the MUTE button on the right side and through the slots you can see the USB connector (Type-B...aka "square"). You needn't remove the panel to see it clear enough.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: