Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi DCP2000 Wake on LAN

Author Topic: Doremi DCP2000 Wake on LAN
Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2019 04:38 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Does the Doremi support WOL? If yes, how do I do it.
Thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-29-2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Doremi has a support document about it.
You can log into the european support (legacy) portal and search for 'WOL'.
According to this document, it is enabled by default, and all needed is to send a magic packet to either LAN port.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that WOL does not work with the Intel motherboard that the older DCP2000s (all the ones with the black chassis and some of the early silver chassis units) used. Later units used a Supermicro motherboard and it should work fine on these.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-29-2019 04:53 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOL that works like intended, I must be dreaming. [Wink]

I've avoided WOL in Cinema setups due to the general unreliability. If I want to shut-down stuff to save power and possible operating life-time of equipment, I usually use APC managed PDUs together with some simple SNMP instructions to check and control the power state of certain equipment remotely.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-29-2019 07:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bios setting that should be enabled from the factory. You can get at the bios setup same as any supermicro board. And yes, the really old Intel boards are not reliable for WOL if it works at all.

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2019 07:43 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much guys.
It’s quite an old unit, black chassis with touchscreen behind a door.
So it should work right out of the box, but not reliable? We want to switch on the Doremi remotely to start ingests.
Do you have any recommandations on which programm to use for sending the magic packet?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-30-2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll send you the Doremi tech doc - it suggests a specific Magic Packet sender program, although you will find many more through Google.

According to that tech note, on the Intel mainboard, WOL will only work on Ethernet port 1.

You should probably find out wether your mainboard is Intel or Supermicro.

It's easy to see from the rear, as the supermicro has both Ethernet ports next to each other, while the Intel has one stacked above two USB ports. Also, the Supermicro has two USB sockets right next to the two PS/2 keyboard/mouse sockets.

One can probably also tell from the boot screen, but I have never seen an Intel mainboard Doremi booting.

- Carsten

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2019 04:19 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be nice Carsten.
Thanks

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-31-2019 05:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it works, then it should work with any Magic Packet sender.

I've used the following two utilities in the past:

Windows:
NirSoft Wake-On-Lan

Also offers a small GUI interface to manage your hosts.

Linux:
Etherwake

Available on recent Ubuntu and Debian distributions via:
apt-get install etherwake

For other distributions, try to find the appropriate package for your system, it should be out there. [Wink]

Like I mentioned before, I've had extremely unreliable results using WOL in general, whereas the "smart" power-switch (APC in most cases) method is pretty much rock-solid. Let us know if you get it to work reliably and with what motherboard.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-31-2019 06:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alban,

I sent you the Doremi WOL document and two pictures of both Intel and Supermicro rear panel signatures to your gmail account.

- Carsten

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2019 05:12 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much.
Got the techfiles from Carsten.
I’ll keep you updated if it works.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 07:38 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the black chassis DCP2000 servers I've seen had the Intel motherboard. It could have been changed to a Supermicro, and possibly even some of them were made with the newer board... but most likely it's the Intel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: