Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Puzzler - VNC connection to Christie projector

Author Topic: Puzzler - VNC connection to Christie projector
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-26-2019 10:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a 8-plex, I connected to projector 6 CP2210 via UltraVNC on 10.120.1.106. But although the viewer window said 10.120.1.106 at the top, I was actually connected to the #1 CP2220 at 10.120.1.101. Luckily I did not put up a pattern during a show there (it had JUST let out). When I didn't see my pattern on the screen in 6 I looked at the projector communication screen in VNC and saw the address was for #1. Weird.
I can't explain that. Even isolated, ie my pc jacked directly into the one 2210 network por, I could not connect to that projector with UltraVNC - "no connection".
I downloaded and tried RealVNC, which did connect to the projector I wanted. But I really like the UltraVNC interface.
There were other network oddities there but nothing that would explain (to me) connecting to the wrong projector...

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know. I just guess that if the problem is not apparent with one of the viewers, something is rotten software-wise (not anymore in the state of Denmark).

Yet, I was curious about what is the way of connecting to the local network.
Is it via VPN?
Is it via a NAT that is set to forward different external ports to the standard(?) 5900 port of each and every projector? In that case, does the VNC server use the :0 or another number, different to zero? (As far as I have seen, its certainly the same screen we see on the TPC so it should be :0)
Is it quasi-local, by means of a remote administration program that uses a PC on the LAN to "feel like home"?

Sorry for the question without any suggestion, but I believe it would clear the circumstances a bit.

Edit:
Now that I read again, I guess you were on-site when you did connect.
Or else, why you would suggest putting on a test pattern. Right?

Christie has always played a bit better with RealVNC.
Anyone who have tried to connect to an old series one CP2000-X projector would agree.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: