Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » JNIOR/ACT Connectors

Author Topic: JNIOR/ACT Connectors
Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2019 10:26 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI. The 8-position 0.200" (5.08mm) connectors that you find on the back of Christie's ACT can be used with the JNIOR. Connectors are expensive and the ones that we have found on ACTs that have been replaced are the nicer spring clamp connectors (as opposed to the screw type that we supply). You might yank those off and toss them in your tool box. Save them.

I don't know if there is a preference out there. I have not been a real fan of the screw terminal connectors. I tend to want to really crank down on them and they are not reliable when you want to clamp down one more than one wire (none of them really are). Plus, with thermal cycling those screws can loosen up on you.

I wouldn't be opposed to changing what we supply (eventually as there are 1000's of the current type in our inventory). I am also thinking seriously about creating a catalog where in you might have the choice. If you have an opinion, I am listening.

Remember the old DAK catalogs? Those were fun.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2019 05:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Phoenix type connectors. I haven't had a real problem with them. I wonder if using ferrules would improve stability.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2019 06:48 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use gold plated Phoenix connectors to carry low level (especially low current) signals like audio. We had a problem with tin plated IDC connectors for the front panel ribbon cable on the JSD-60 (contractor changed connectors without our approval). Also had trouble with tin plated connectors that carry the power to the CCH-100 glasses. Unless the current is above 50 mA or so, I go with gold!

In the CMS-2000, the battery holder has nickle plated contacts, and the battery is nickle plated. We're drawing about 12 uA. The battery company (who also supplies the connector) says there's no problem with low current loads. But, we kept losing keys! So, we switched to a soldered in battery.

Harold

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2019 08:32 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Phoenix is a company name and not a type of connector. The JNIOR comes with a connector kit. There are four 8-pos 0.200" (5.08mm) connectors used for the digital inputs and relay contact outputs and one 4-pos connector of the same style for the power input. If a power supply is included with your JNIOR then the 4-pos connector comes installed on the supply.

The ones supplied are any of Phoenix 5441809, Weidmuller 1943870000, On-Shore OSTTJ085103, Amphenol TJ0851030000G and a few others. All of these being essentially equivalent (although pricing varries all over the place). These are all of the screw clamping type.

-

The connectors that we see on the Christie ACT are the same except use a spring clamp.

-

I was wondering if those of you who install automation like one style of clamping over another. You know, I can change what we provide if there is any real opinion on the matter. There are other styles of clamping. Have you encountered a better one?

The comment about gold plating is a good one and very valid with analog signals say in audio applications. This is not so critical with automation where reasonable currents are switched and generally in an on or off situation.

Point is though that if you install JNIORs and happen upon a discarded ACT, save the connectors and try the spring clamping. It would seem that they are easier to use. I am not sure about the cost differential. But INTEG is a creature of habit and not prone to just up and change the connector style (that we've been supplying for over 15 years) without YOUR validation first.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-24-2019 10:41 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, the screw connectors hold up better to reuse.

On the few occasions where I have encountered the spring clamp type there always seems to be one or more levers broken off.

On one piece of gear, EVERY lever broke off when I tried to open it.

Of course, this is only what I experienced, on what would be considered a limited sample size. YMMV.

And yes, I have (but very rarely) run into stripped screwheads on the screw clamp type.

Overall it really seems to depend on the application. I can see where the spring clamp would be a better use, especially on stuff that is unlikely to be changed or modified over it's service life (like the specific gear I had encountered.)

But, if something is liable to need to be upgraded or rewired multiple times over its' service life, I think the screw clamp style will hold up better.

And as Harold pointed out, be sure to use the gold plated stuff... especially on audio. I had a problem once with radio signals bleeding over into the audio feed for a remote speaker in a screening room.

I used the HI output, run through a volume control card on the AMX system to a small amp to drive the speaker. After some time, the line level audio connections via Phoenix connectors on the card corroded just enough to make a very effective detector diode. Replacing both connectors with gold plated ones solved the problem, and no callback yet after ten years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: