Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Interop/SMPTE

Author Topic: Interop/SMPTE
Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2019 09:09 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I thought this has been discussed recently but a search hasn't turned it up.

What DCPs are being sent out now by the big distributors? Interop or SMPTE?

Thank you!
Carl

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2019 09:31 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting very few SMPTE DCP's. I have been making everything in SMPTE here though.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-09-2019 09:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been seeing on service calls, Disney and Sony are now pretty much all SMPTE, but the others are a mix. I believe that some of the studios ship SMPTE by default but will stil provide Interop on request.

When I make DCPs for others now, I use Interop if there is no need for anything that Interop cannot support (e.g. a non-24 frame rate), and SMPTE if there is.

Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2019 01:52 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From NATO: "Be it resolved that motion picture distributors and exhibitors operating in the 'domestic' market of the United States and Canada will fully transition to SMPTE DCP by 9 April 2019."

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-09-2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The majority is still Interop, but the end is near. April will see a larger shift in the US, and then other countries will follow quickly. Some countries are still doing their homework, that is, performing the ISDCF or EDCF SMPTE compatibility tests. I guess 2019 will be the turning point.

https://www.smptedcp.com

- Carsten

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2019 07:54 PM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK, only Disney send us SMTPE DCPs. They sent out an email beforehand saying that they were making the switch with the release of Ant-Man and the Wasp, and to report any issues etc.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-18-2019 09:57 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: Sony Pictures Classics Stan and Ollie trailer is SMPTE. We'll see what the feature is in a few weeks.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2019 11:21 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin-
Just FYI, I did a media/press screening of "Stan & Ollie" back in mid
November and the DCP Deluxe sent me for that event was interop.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2019 02:22 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the change to SMPTE type DCP ?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-19-2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The so far common Interop-Format was always meant to be transitional, however, it took very long to get everything together to get the final SMPTE format going.
The differences are not so huge, though, chances are you already played some SMPTE DCPs without noticing it.

https://cinepedia.com/packaging/interop-smpte-dcp/

https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/2016-04-06-ST-DCP-Mitchel-Witham-V4-Handout-2.pdf

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-19-2019 06:18 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: Just looked at my trailers, it was Shoplifters, not Stan & Ollie that was SMPTE.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-19-2019 06:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at our most recent movies, 8 of 10 were SMPTE. Only On the Basis of Sex and Vice were IOP. I can't remember which one it was, but one of the recent releases we did receive both SMPTE and IOP.

Trailers are almost exclusively IOP. The only exception is we have one version of most Disney titles which is SMPTE; my guess is these are versions distributed with features.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2019 04:51 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In india SMPTE Content using only for Atmos verions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: