Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How much access should the end user have??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How much access should the end user have???
Dan Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 09:23 PM      Profile for Dan Williams   Email Dan Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long story as short as possible... I have been involved in the day to day technical operation with an art house for the last 5 years. A year ago I handled the installation of a Barco 10s running a Doremi IMS. About 6 months ago said art house brought in a new Director who implemented a bunch of decisions to cut costs and as a part of those cuts I was just l told that our yearly contract would not be renewed in the new year. They have brought someone in who has almost no technical knowledge because well, “it’s just pressing a few buttons”... Cureently there’s basic access to run BluRay content via the SDI input via the default startup state and basic projector control via iPad and the cinemate app. Anytime we run DCP content it’s done by a qualified tech via web interface... So, the question is whether I leave it as simply the basic access and tell them that “any actual projectionist” will be able to handle the rest or do I actually walk them through access to the IMB and the Barco Communicator? What’s the right thing here? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-28-2018 09:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be reluctant to teach anyone unless it is someone with at least some technical knowledge of the systems. I don't see why a "button pusher" should be taught anything more than how to change the format. Teach them too much and there is a risk they start poking around where they don't belong.

Dan Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 09:45 PM      Profile for Dan Williams   Email Dan Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, it’s also about protecting their original investment. I guess the meat of this question is whether or not to go into the media block, loading and playing content or just leave it as “a qualified tech will know how that works”? Or is that a bad practice because after all... it is a system they own.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 09:56 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes one of the common misconception all is need it to push a few buttons. The other one is once it is installed you can lock it up and never have to touch it again.

I say you have no obligation to train anyone. But as you say the do own the equipment so you should give them a list of all relevant logins and passwords. Tell them to call if they need help but it will be at the no contract hourly rate.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 09:59 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your contract is up 12/31, it's a moot point. Else, tell them you can't train anyone unless your contract is renewed (for another year) and that you work on a long-term contract basis, not a per diem basis. If they insist, charge them $2500 per day.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-28-2018 10:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walk away the day your contract is up.

Your responsibility only goes as far as you are being paid to go.

Dan Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 10:54 PM      Profile for Dan Williams   Email Dan Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ll definitely present them with a service agreement for next year they can choose to accept or not... With that said if I do a proper hand off of the system... Where do you draw the line on handing off vs teaching? Do we do passwords and basic operation, do I go through all the operations of the server with them or do I leave that open ended and simply say that those functions are only available to a qualified or certified tech? What do you all do?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-28-2018 11:08 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't go any further than basic operations. Ingesting and loading content, building play lists, and playback operations. I would not get into any maintenance or repair functions, including things like changing bulbs. I would definitely make sure they have all necessary passwords for operation purposes, but I would be reluctant to hand off any tech passwords.

If you do give them any tech passwords, I would make sure to be clear about how those passwords would allow someone access which could result in them screwing up settings and impacting their presentation.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-28-2018 11:09 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the default passwords in place and walk away. You don't, IMO, have an onligation to train anyone. But changing passwords so they can't access the system if they just call Barco and ask, that could lead to trouble for you.
They own the equipment and can do as they wish with it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-28-2018 11:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
Leave the default passwords in place and walk away. You don't, IMO, have an onligation to train anyone.
And if (when) people say, "But...but...but...who is going to teach people to run the booth?" your answer should be, "You should have thought of that before you terminated my contract."

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-29-2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It obviously depends on the particular contract you have, but usually you can't simply refuse training your "replacement", no matter how demoralizing it might be.

That said, it doesn't mean you have to be great at it either. And never spend any second longer than that you're contractually obliged to spend on it.

And sure, every time you're doing something more than just pushing two buttons, like changing a lamp, tell them the potential implications of letting an untrained tech doing this.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-29-2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
It obviously depends on the particular contract you have, but usually you can't simply refuse training your "replacement", no matter how demoralizing it might be.
If your contract or job description say that you must train others then, yes, that's true. But, if not, you can simply walk out the door.

Practical reality dictates a solution somewhere in the middle. I think you should give somebody some basic instruction on how to operate the system but you should NOT have to teach somebody else to do your job.

If they want somebody to run the system properly they must PAY somebody to do it.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2018 09:40 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, would not train ANYONE that would be coming in to take my job. I doubt any contract would say that you have to. If they want to bring someone new in, they should train them themselves.

As far as passwords go, we changed ALL default passwords on all equipment here. That's the whole point of changing them. You don't want just anyone accessing things. Also, maybe I'm being a dick here but if we were ever replaced, why would I give them the passwords? You want someone else to run the booth, let them figure things out.

Owners and management love to cut costs because, in the end, we're only "pushing buttons" anyway. [fu]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-29-2018 10:25 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why burn your bridges? Make a graceful exit and let them know you are available for renewing the contract at any time. There's a good chance things will get screwed up enough often enough they will realize they are wasting more money than saving.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-29-2018 11:16 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"As far as passwords go, we changed ALL default passwords on all equipment here"
There is ample case law to establish that you will be held liable for the costs of repairing this sabotage, lost income caused by it, and also subject to punitive damages. Bad idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: