Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Linux x64 Communicator 5.12.0.0 installation bug

Author Topic: Linux x64 Communicator 5.12.0.0 installation bug
Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case you want to make the current version of Barco Communicator work with a 64bit Linux distribution, you are better off installing the previous version (5.11) and then install 5.12.

If you haven't already installed a previous version (or if your previous version is rather old), you'll get an error indicating the lack of the shared library libcrypto.so.10.

For some reason, the aforementioned library isn't included in the communicator folder where the start-up file exports (indicates the location of) the needed shared libraries.

The truth is that, since we usually install one version over another (and when we uninstall not all files are being erased), it might be somewhat rare to come across the issue. (Also, it's about Linux, and we rarely get away without Windows in a digital cinema control computer.)
Yet, since mid-October the number of new installations are bound to increase.

I can confirm that the bug is not present with the previous 4 versions (5.8 to 5.11). You'll have to find out about any earlier version by doing your own checking.

Hope that helps.
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-18-2018 07:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you report it to Barco?

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2018 03:48 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, as a matter of fact, I didn't.
And that is because it seems like there is no software bug report procedure. Or maybe it's me that can't easily find it on mybarco portal release notes or manual.
So, it didn't cross my mind.
Now that you mention it, I will create some kind of ticket in their system, or send an e-mail and go from there.

It seems to me, though, that Barco prefers to de-centralize their responds to communication from outside the company.
Even the sub-categories in their communication platform don't include reporting a bug. The category that comes more close to that, is "Technical questions".

So, my first thought was informing users.
I'll let you know if there is a workaround that doesn't include installing more than one versions.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2018 07:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you are registered at mybarco, if you are:

https://www.barco.com/en/support

Will get you to the page where you can create an "eTicket"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-19-2018 09:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Ioannis. I use an Ubuntu laptop in the field, and so am probably one of very few people who actually uses the Linux version of Communicator.

I did report a little bug in an earlier version (it had a library dependency that was missing from Ubuntu by default, and I had to install it manually before Communicator would install), but had feedback to the effect that they'd pass it on to Belgium, but that the Mac and Linux versions of Communicator were considered low priority because so few people used them.

While I was figuring that one out, I did try the Windows Communicator under WINE. It worked OK apart from the serial port functionality. NEC Communicator (both the Series 1 and 2 variants) works without any problems in Ubuntu and CentOS under WINE.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Steve
I am registered, and I did create an eTicket. The route there, though, is lead by making conventions on subject sorting, as there is no bug report procedure or something similar.

@Leo
Yes, NEC Communicator seems to work under WINE.
Are you using the TI software and older digital processors’ (with no webUI) software the same way, or you have no need to? (I would be very reluctant about the serial connection of the setup program with a CP650 over WINE.)

Those were some of the reasons that I had a dual boot laptop in the field (Windows/Ubuntu).
In another case, I couldn’t make the software for the USL VCC-102 work properly (the video part) even on a Virtual Machine. On a MacBook, I can only use it on the bootcamp Windows.
I can go on with a case of a “wounded” Barco Cinema Controller and a USB connection (no stable IP to work) where the Communicator couldn’t read the precious, inadvertenly not-back-upped configuration files but over the windows version on a “real” Windows installation.
The implementation of web user interfaces on newer devices does lead the way to a cross-platform using and configuring. But even in those cases things are still not rosy.
(Remember the issues with the ssl certificates prerequisites of the browsers and the Sony 500 series or the Barco Alchemy servers?)

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To anyone interested, now that Communicator 5.13.0 came out, the installation bug in question disappeared.

I just found out by uninstalling, erasing everything related and installing anew.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-27-2019 05:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never really like it when software is linked to a specific version of a library. If it requires a specific version of this library, due to compatibility issues, the software should at least provide that library of their own.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-27-2019 12:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just installed it in Ubuntu 18.04 without any problems or needing to add extra libraries manually.

quote: Ioannis Syrogiannis
Are you using the TI software and older digital processors’ (with no webUI) software the same way, or you have no need to? (I would be very reluctant about the serial connection of the setup program with a CP650 over WINE.)
I have. On one laptop the RS232 thru USB link worked OK through WINE, but on another it didn't. The issue seems to be a how WINE interacts with the USB hardware driver in Ubuntu.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: