Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation system

Author Topic: Automation system
Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 12:38 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Does anybody know of a cheap and simple solution for getting a Barco DP2k projector to simply turn on and off 2 things when needed. (lights and an amp that plays the auditorium ambient music) I know there are proper and very expensive automation systems that can do this ...but i'm looking or the simplest and cheapest way to accomplish this (that does not involve my doing in manually) any suggestions are appreciated !!!

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 04:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The simplest way is by using the GPIO on your playout server. Whether it's a separate server or an IMS, integrated into your projector, it should have a few "General Purpose I/O" ports you should be able to use.

You can usually control those from within the show, by using a macro.

The GPIO output ports will usually provide a 12 Volt signal. This signal itself is not strong enough to drive a load, but you can put a simple relay in between.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 07:42 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could even have the Projector GPOs doing that. But I guess your Barco came with some sort of server that offers 'some' GPIOs. If all your server or projector GPOs are used up, a JNIOR can be used.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 08:07 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco GPO gives you an optoisolator NPN transistor for the output. There is no voltage delivered, the optoisolator has a very low current rating (30mA), 70VDC maximum open circuit voltage across it, and a maximum power dissipation of 130mW (not too sure what that means as they don't specify the transistor voltage drop).
You need to provide power to activate your follower relay and ensure that you don't exceed the above ratings for the output load. Few mechanical relays that will do you any good will work with 30mA to the coil, so a solid state relay is what you want. There are SSRs with quite high load ratings, you can switch your lights and amps directly or (better) switch a power contactor relay that handles the actual load.
Server GPO is probably similar, you have to look at the documentation for your server to get the details.
As a rule I do not use projector or server GPO for anything other than the projector GPO providing a 3D sync signal. If you damage a GPO output device you have either a projector board or server board (usually the media block, most expensive part in the server) to repair if possible, probably to replace.
I recommend using a network automation device - we use Jnior from Integ but there are many alternatives - with a real mechanical relay contact output (a Jnior has them for sure) with a decent current rating (Jnior relay contact rating is 1A at max 24V AC or DC - the relays are a couple of bucks each and mounted in sockets for easy replacement if you do blow one) to control a power contactor relay.
A Jnior 410 is around $400.00, the alternatives are probably close.
Best $400.00 you can spend: you avoid the required custom interface (who builds that for less, and who do you call if/when it fails?) between your power relays and the GPO, you don't risk damaging expensive projector or server parts... plus it will almost certainly work and be very reliable.
And you have the manufacturer to call when you have questions or problems. Integ support is insanely good (Seriously. Rick is not your normal helldesk tech).
If you're handy with electronics and electrical things go ahead and put something together. Hats off to you! But if not, I say it's better to procure a professional automation interface and have a licensed electrician do the power wiring. Avoids a lot of trouble at the start, and doing electrical work yourself in a cinema incurs very serious risk: if your poor and against code wiring starts a fire with people hurt or worse there will be criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits (and your insurance will be voided).

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 01:35 AM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, thanks for the responses [Smile]
If the JNIOR is only around $400 thats not crazy expensive at all. I looked at their website and I kinda get what it does .... but I dont understand what it hooks up to specifically that controls the lights or other things. Is there some other unit that connects to this jnior that actually handles the turning on and off of the full A/C power to whatever is switched ?

Thanks !!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-17-2018 04:37 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are multiple options, this is a non-complete list:

- You can use the relay outputs to switch a bunch of mechanical power relays. You will need a separate power supply to switch the relays though.

- You can use the digital outputs to switch a bunch of solid state power relays (some mechanical relays could work, but be careful you check the specs).

- You can use the JNIOR 4 Relay Output module and drive loads of up to 10 Amps @ 120/240V directly.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2018 06:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are cheap AC load relay boards available on ebay that can take a server/projector GPO and activate an AC relay. The inputs are usually optocoupled as well, so there is zero risc for the server or projector (as long as you wire them properly).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-5V-Relay-Shield-Module-Board-Optocoupler-module-Arduino-ARM-AVR/2816 87224257?hash=item4195ddefc1:rk:5:pf:0

The JNIORs have loads of other nifty features and can also do many things standalone.

What type of server do you use?

- Carsten

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 07:09 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick is back in the office today. He spent last week out at CineAsia. Give him a call (724-933-9350 x20) and he can answer all of your questions about the JNIOR. Even Barco uses the JNIOR in preference to their GPIOs in some installations.

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spoke to Rick about the jnior ....got everything I needed. This should work well.

Thanks everybody [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: