Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation Commands for JSD60 and Alchemy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Automation Commands for JSD60 and Alchemy
Mark Stauffer
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2018 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Stauffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any information on controlling a JSD-60 via ethernet from a Alchemy ICMB? Specifically format changes.
I have added the device ip and port for TCP commands. I even get command failed if I intentionally get the ip wrong, but when i execute "jsd60.sys.input_mode\t0\r" (input 0) the server says it worked, but processor doesn't change.
I can execute the RAW commands with putty. I have even tried all the substitutions for the carriage return I can find, but no luck.
Help

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that \t represents tab and \r represents carriage return. Different systems require control characters to be entered in different ways. I don't have the Barco manual handy, but what does it say about entering control characters?

Harold

Mark Stauffer
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2018 02:47 PM      Profile for Mark Stauffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual doesn't, and all that I've been able to get from Barco is the commands for Dolby processors and Auro. Unfortunately, none of them use a tab in their commands. As far as carriage return, I'm suspect its \0D, but that does me no good without the tab (\t) part. [Razz]

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If \0D works for carriage return, \09 SHOULD work for tab.

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-14-2018 03:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that the ICMP uses hex escape sequences so \0A for line-feed, \0D for Carriage Return, \09 for Tab.

Mark Stauffer
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Stauffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Harold and Steve for the quick responses! I will post back when i get it working.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-15-2018 11:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thanks also. I was trying to make an Alchemy command a CP650 last week and hit the same problem. Ran out of time trying to figure it out, but will be back there next Thursday, and this is one of the items on the punchlist.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-15-2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, Barco has a download zip file that has the Dolby processors and the AP20/Auro processors in it. So the CP650 is "figured out" for you. About all you should need to add are the specific volume levels you might want to add. The CP650 does not have a very extensive command set.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-15-2018 10:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the command set in the CP650 manual (as you say not extensive, but all they need are format and volume changes, and those are there), but couldn't figure out how the Alchemy wanted the termination string. Will get the cue file from mybarco.com - thanks for the heads up.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 08:14 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of not very extensive command sets, I always felt the need for a command that would increase or decrease the sound volume in relation to whatever it actually is. (For instance, +0.1 for getting from 7.0 to 7.1 or from 7.1 to 7.2 just the same.)
Something that can be easily done using the user interface of a Dolby server connected with a connected Dolby Cinema Processor but that would not be able to be done via text commands.

I don't find that to be only one company's fault, though.
If some kind of mask could be added/edited in a command text, such a kind of incremental change could have being achieved on the SMS's automation side as well.
The truth is that being able to import and export cues as .xml files helps a lot, but sometimes the accumulation of too many commands works against the same convenience it tries to serve.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 08:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are text commands for fader up/down changes on a CP750 or CP850. For a CP750 it's cp750.ctrl.fader_delta x (x is change in tenths of a fader number, ie "5" adds 0.5, "-5" lowers 0.5).
The DSS servers have no secret commands for Dolby audio processors and even if they did, a network sniffer would expose them in a second.
A DSS sends TCP text to the processors (and use the replies, which is a feature other servers don't have). The only difference was that Dolby did not allow any non-Dolby devices to be network controlled by a DSS (that's changed but it's kludgey).

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 10:05 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For CP850 I have no idea, and - to be frank - I didn't know about the "delta" option for CP750.
I haven't seen it implemented somewhere or used in the cue-libraries I am aware of (Barco/Doremi/Sony) and I confess I haven't had it guessed from the parameter name on the command set. (Thank you for your input!)

Other than that, I feel like I was misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that the DSS servers have secret commands for Dolby audio processors, I was just stating that in a DSS server you have a user interface control of a Dolby processor that leaves something to be wanted from other servers. And, even more to the CP650 mentioned above not having an extensive command set, the feature is really handy.

On other SMSs I miss that ability, as I miss the ability to add a volume cue and add the volume number I like, instead of using a drop-down menu where .1 steps need just as much different volume cues to select from.
While most of the other SMSs have newer interfaces, driven from more open and in depth abilities, it seems that such a... trick didn't concern anyone to the extend of facilitating a relevant feature.

I am just guessing here that, while such a feature would be innovative and *relatively* simple, it would also be beneficial for the usability and the configuration procedure, even though we can all agree it is not critical.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 04:27 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ctrl.fader_delta x

(without any prefix) works for the CP850.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 05:38 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JSD-60 also has "fader relative" and "previous" commands:

jsd60.sys.fader_previous
Changes fader back to level before last jsd60.sys.fader or jsd60.sys.fader_rel . Use this to go back to normal level after an LSS-100 test.

jsd60.sys.fader_rel -10
Make a relative adjustment to the fader. Fader values are multiplied by 100 for use in the command interpreter (700 in the command interpreter represents 7.0 on the front panel). The sample command adjusts the fader -10, which decreases the 700 to 690 or 6.9 on the front panel. The argument to this command is the amount the fader is to be adjusted as a signed number. The argument is returned.

Harold

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2018 09:00 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that some "automation" will send the command string too quickly after opening the TCP port and it gets either missed completely be the receiving device or the beginning is cut off. As far as the sending device believes it opened the port, sent the command, and closed the port successfully so that is why you don't get an error message. This is common when trying to send a command from a Doremi server to a Q-Sys core. The "fix" is to add a "wait" or "pause" command to the beginning of the command string which may differ depending on then specific hardware you are using. So you may want to reach back out to Barco and ask them how to add a delay into the macro between opening the port and sending the string.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: